Swallowtail angel - will the tail streamers grow back?

mdrReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I bought a male swallowtail angel and they sent me one that appears to have its streamers bit off. Does anyone know if they will grow back and how long it might take?
He is around 6” long, looks like a pretty mature male.

image4.jpeg

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why's the poor guy in a strainer?

Fish can usually regrow damaged fins, provided the base of the fin ray isn't destroyed. He should grow 'em back.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mdrReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why's the poor guy in a strainer?

Fish can usually regrow damaged fins, provided the base of the fin ray isn't destroyed. He should grow 'em back.
This is a pic from the online retailer who sold it to me. That’s why it’s in a strainer. I guess that’s how they get a pic of them to send. They were bagging him up for shipping.

Upvote 0

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They really should take pictures in the water. Catching the fish is needed, of course, but leaving him in there flopping around for photos doesn't seem like good practice.

Upvote 0

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had several breastspot swallowtails. Unfortunately, while my female has been with me for years now, I never seem to have great luck with the males. Probably just my tank though. I can confirm that the streamers will grow back. These are easily my favorite fish, super active, good personalities, really a beautiful fish male or female, and model tank citizens. I would never have a tank without one again. I find feeding more frequently a varied diet produces the longest streamers. At one point the female's streamers were 1/3 of her total length.

Sunny.jpeg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mdrReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had several breastspot swallowtails. Unfortunately, while my female has been with me for years now, I never seem to have great luck with the males. Probably just my tank though. I can confirm that the streamers will grow back. These are easily my favorite fish, super active, good personalities, really a beautiful fish male or female, and model tank citizens. I would never have a tank without one again. I find feeding more frequently a varied diet produces the longest streamers. At one point the female's streamers were 1/3 of her total length.

Sunny.jpeg
Thanks! I have a female also. She is much smaller than the male and has nice little streamers.

Upvote 0

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sunny.jpeg
Shes beautiful! Ive always wanted a male/female pair of these

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back