Swallowtail Angels Truly Reefsafe?

  • Thread starter Thread starter EliMelly
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

EliMelly

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 22, 2022
Messages
2,732
Reaction score
3,901
Location
Los Angeles
Rating - 66.7%
2   1   0
Hello,

I have a mixed reef and was thinking about adding swallowtails. I’ve had angels before that destroyed SPS PE due to picking at corals and was wondering if swallowtails were truly reef safe with acropora.

Thank you!
 
I just caught my swallowtail eating one of my bowerbankis. I saw the frag flipped upside down in the sand and thought a conch had bulldozed over it. Flipped it back over and saw some damage, bummer but figured with a little bit of time it would recover. Five minutes later, its flipped back over and torn up. Flipped it back over and the angel came back and went to town on it. Bummer, it was a really nice bower and that was the last fish I expected to not be reef safe. I feed often and a lot, its a slab of a fish so it might become a sandwich.
 
Have a Lamarck and had a watanabe for years. Never had a problem with these eating corals. No fish is perfect but these are about as a reef safe an angel that exists.
 
My Swallowtail acquired a taste for Favias, but only certain ones.
 
Have a Lamarck and had a watanabe for years. Never had a problem with these eating corals. No fish is perfect but these are about as a reef safe an angel that exists.
Are these two fish the same sex? Do you have any problems with them fighting? I thought about adding a Lamarck as I can’t find a male wantanabe
 
Swallowtails (Genicanthus) are generally considered reef safe.
They’re planktivores and spend most of their time in the water column, so they don’t usually go after corals.

That said, like with any fish, there’s always some individual variation. Keeping them well fed definitely helps reduce any chance of picking.

Overall though, probably one of the safest angelfish you can keep in a reef tank.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 3.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new