Swap out 6500k bulb

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mike7744
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Mike7744

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 29, 2021
Messages
403
Reaction score
183
Location
Wareham
What state or country do you live in
Massachusetts
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using a full sun 6500k bulb and a tru blue t5 bulb on my light. I am having a bad green film algae problem, if I swap out the sun bulb with a tru blue and run only blue bulbs . Will that help my problem? This is a fish only system
 
Nah. I don’t think it’ll make an appreciable impact.

Limit the photoperiod and you should be good to go. Is the film only on the glass?
 
No, it comes on everything.
 
How many hours are the lights on for?

The blue lights will make the algae less noticeable, but the fish look best under 6500K
 
Around 6000k is typically considered desirable for vegetative growth of plants, but the intensity of the lights and duration of the lighting play a more significant factor in this application!

As I understand it, this is a newer tank; if the algae is coming back daily, it could be due to high nitrates, or it could actually be one of several organisms besides algae!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 34.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 25 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.3%

New Posts

Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new