!!!SWEET LED HOMEGROWN PACK!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'd like to think we all understand that captive grown sps are not even remotely as easy to come by as wild cuts or maricultures, and I really believe we all can agree, that the overall stability of a captive frag far surpasses that of the latter as well. I mean, it will take months or even years to really acclimate a wild acro to captive conditions, and to get it stable and really growing well. Factor in different lighting and there's another hill to climb even once it's fully acclimated.

Now if your lucky, in a year or so, that wild piece will have made the transition and you might be seeing some promise. But it's more likely that the pice is a far cry from the "off the boat color" that lured you in, and if it's actually alive and growing at all, has only done so very slowly at best, because like I said, it takes a long time for a wild acro to really adjust completely to captive conditions. We have all drooled over amazingly colored pics of wild pieces. But the sad truth is that very rarely, if ever do these corals return to their wild vibrant glory once captive. That's not to say they won't look good, but to expect them look like they once did is wishful thinking. Not a rant, but a truth that has reinforced itself to me countless times over years as I'm sure many of you have experienced as well. So again, don't do it to yourself. Especially if your experience with sps is limited. Buying wild acros will only serve to discourage you in the long run as they are as unstable as they are unpredictable.

So let's talk about this pack real quick. Essentially an antidote to the dismay that can accompany the purchase of wild sps. I've taken the arduous acclimation process even one step further, as these were all cut from 100% led grown mothers further specifying you needs.

This pack is an excellent example of how well LED's can really color up captive Sps. Some old favorites, and one new super cool milli in the mix makes this one perfect for just about anyone, but ideal for those of you running LED's.

Nice and chunky, and coming in at well under 35.00 a frag.

Take this one for 359.00 shipped!!!

1. Twilight Dragon
2. Red Planet
3. Shades of Fall
4. Pink Lemonade
5. BC Xmas
6. Trick Pony Sunset!!
7. Thermans' Rainbow
8. BC Firecracker
9. Upscales Microclados
10. Crazy Bananas Milli

IMG_4982-Edit_zpsgd2s2yze.jpg

IMG_4981_zpsixqwmnhd.jpg

Last edited:

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to think we all understand that captive grown sps are not even remotely as easy to come by as wild cuts or maricultures, and I really believe we all can agree, that the overall stability of a captive frag far surpasses that of the latter as well. I mean, it will take months or even years to really acclimate a wild acro to captive conditions, and to get it stable and really growing well. Factor in different lighting and there's another hill to climb even once it's fully acclimated.

Now if your lucky, in a year or so, that wild piece will have made the transition and you might be seeing some promise. But it's more likely that the pice is a far cry from the "off the boat color" that lured you in, and if it's actually alive and growing at all, has only done so very slowly at best, because like I said, it takes a long time for a wild acro to really adjust completely to captive conditions.

I'm sorry, but is this just not true. I've handled hundreds of wild Acro colonies over the years and fragged them and watched them hold their color and only get better with time. A couple cases in point: wild Aussie Strawberry Shortcake colonies and wild Aussie Ice Fire Echinata colonies. Wild Millies and Tenuis, same thing. No problems and great color. Straight from the ocean, acclimated to lighting in 2 weeks, fragged up and holding color and start encrusting and growing in another few weeks under ideal conditions.

How you sell your product is up to you Adam but please don't spread misinformation that gets people into believing it will takes months or years for a wild acro to grow or color up it's just not right. I applaud your efforts in aquaculture, but lets be real here.

787will

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome pack as always adam! i'll definitely be hitting you up once I've got my big tank back up and running!

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm sorry, but is this just not true. I've handled hundreds of wild Acro colonies over the years and fragged them and watched them hold their color and only get better with time. A couple cases in point: wild Aussie Strawberry Shortcake colonies and wild Aussie Ice Fire Echinata colonies. Wild Millies and Tenuis, same thing. No problems and great color. Straight from the ocean, acclimated to lighting in 2 weeks, fragged up and holding color and start encrusting and growing in another few weeks under ideal conditions.

How you sell your product is up to you Adam but please don't spread misinformation that gets people into believing it will takes months or years for a wild acro to grow or color up it's just not right. I applaud your efforts in aquaculture, but lets be real here.

I really appreciate the input. I am very happy to hear that you've had such success with wild acros. I absolutely agree that there are plenty of sps that will adapt more readily, and that frags will always adapt much faster than the rest of the surviving colony. And I'll go further to say that maybe without an aggressive quarantine procedure, that this transition may be eased considerably, but the rigors of long, harsh and very aggressive quarantine have proven extremely tough on my new arrivals over the years.

I'll readily admit that I may have turned up the heat a little on this one, especially if selling wild sps is your business and by "your" I don't mean you directly, and that I am not the definitive word on sps or an authority at all for that matter. But none of us can deny that most sps do not transition as smoothly and with the ease that you have had, unfortunately. I applaud you're success in doing so, and welcome any further comments as well from you or anyone else that has had good luck with wilds. It is very true that I have had plenty of wild colonies go dormant on me for longer than a year even, and that at the "few weeks" mark most wild cuts are still looking really good. But I'll accept the fact that I am the one doing something wrong here then, as it's clearly not the case with most or all wild pieces as you have stated.

Again, thanks a lot for chiming in. If you've got any tips on softening the transition of wild sps please feel free to share. I could use a little myself it seems.

Last edited:

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
you can have success with both im sure, but the fully aquacultured is always going to be a lot hardier in my opinion . lets face it, where did they ALL come from ?? Its just easier to buy something that has been quarantined and less of a gamble . I rather buy something that is proven to grown in a closed system under similar lights for years and has dealt with human error . if you want instant gratification a $40 mariculture piece might be for you , half the fun is watching your grow.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really interesting to see Shades of Fall and Pink Lemonade right next to each other, really different.

Beautiful pack.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
From my experiences the acclimation of wild Sps is coral specific. Shortcakes and Ice fire are two that have acclimated well and are widely spread.

Millis have changed colors for me............never like how they come in.

Most of the wild pieces I have now have gone through just as Adam is saying. They can take up to a year or more to adjust. I've had some do well encrust and then shutdown for months.

I've never seen one of the bright pink with blue tip hyacynthis hold those colors. That's if you can get them to live. I've had one for over a year and it's now starting to grow but it's red, not that impressive pink color it came in as.

Unless you've had a wild coral and grown it out for a couple of years can you make a distinction that they are easy or hold color.

dankreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Battle corals doesn't lie. Known this guy for a while. Everyone knows wild corals most of the time change colors.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
you can have success with both im sure, but the fully aquacultured is always going to be a lot hardier in my opinion . lets face it, where did they ALL come from ?? Its just easier to buy something that has been quarantined and less of a gamble . I rather buy something that is proven to grown in a closed system under similar lights for years and has dealt with human error . if you want instant gratification a $40 mariculture piece might be for you , half the fun is watching your grow.

Thanks a lot for the post

This is the crux of my point. Let me the vendor, the guy making money off these things do the heavy lifting. Let me weed out the duds, eradicate the pests, and relieve the overall disappointment that accompanies the purchasing of wild Sps.

Of course they all come from the ocean at some point. But the difference in stability and adaptability and availability between a wild cut frag, and a long captive cut frag, is as broad and vast as the sea itself. One of the only real drawbacks to full aquaculture being limited availability, as it is determined primarily by health and actual growth rates, over cites permits and holding capacity.

Thanks again for the post!

rovster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to Adam for doing all the leg work so us measly hobbyist can enjoy the fruits of this hobby totally oblivious to the sacrifices made behind the scenes so we feel accomplished and invincible.....

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks to Adam for doing all the leg work so us measly hobbyist can enjoy the fruits of this hobby totally oblivious to the sacrifices made behind the scenes so we feel accomplished and invincible.....

lol

Isoprene

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill chime in here, although im not an established vendor, I grow and have sold with great success plenty of wild corals I have colored from "brown off the boat" to beautiful colonies in the matter of months. However I am in agreeance with both parties partially. I have had a brown dud sit for two years never grow, color, or polyp out to eventually become years later a magnificent colony. I have also had corals take weeks to acclimate from out of the ocean brillant colors and hold for indefinate periods of time. I am new to the game in comparison to adam and some of the more experianced, established, and knowledgeable sps addicts but my opinion is that wild or aquacultured do what they will without a whole lot of knowledge why on the majority of the owners end as to why.

Science has not explained a lot for us in terms of coloring corals however it is known its genetic and environmental which both factors do play a major role including protein codons being switched "on" or "off" in terms of coloration.

I think all adam was after in his OP is that why mess around with corals still discolored and new to the hobby for a high price tag....not to name any names..... When you can purchase absolutley beautiful tried and true colored, healthy sps that have a survival rate exponential in terms of frag for frag in comparison to some of these high price tag packs I see going for $600 - $700 a six pack.

Love your corals adam, I sell them frequently. Absolutley beautiful pack, whoever gets it is lucky. It is a very low price for a number of must have collectors pieces.

jasonandsarah

Sticks, sticks and more STICKS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From someone that buys both proven pieces and wild colonies. 90% of the time I'll invest my money into a proven piece before buying a wild colony for all the reasons stated in the OP.
I've had sweet wild colonies that did great forever and then one day just die for no apparent reason. I've also had colonies that won't grow at all for a good 9 months. I could grow a frag into a colony in that amount of time!
Don't get me wrong, like I said I do like and buy wild colonies occasionally and some are super easy and look better once under leds ,but not all! Lol its a gamble for sure and the odds are ever more in your favor with aquacultured pieces for sure. You know what your getting.
I applaud Adam for what he does and also for having one of the most amazing and extensive sps collections I've ever seen!

Last edited:

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 17 22.7%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back