Switch a CO2 scrubber with Apex?

BedrockIOMC

Never to salty, Just don't go over 35.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been thinking of getting a CO2 scrubber and I think I have found the one I want at a good price. My PH drops so much of the evening when I get home from work and it kills me seeing such a big swing in it everyday. The only thing I hate about a CO2 scrubber is that the media doesn't have a very long life a span and its not the cheapest thing in the world either. I have been trying to think of a way to have it off when the tank doesnt need it. I think I can get a Apex relay and fix the problem.

I am thinking that I can split the line going to my skimmer and have the air intake going to the motor come from the normal place of the silencer and the CO2 scrubber as well. I join them with the relay. I set the Apex the read the PH probe and when the PH is low have it switch to the scrubber and the it gets high have it switch from the scrubber. I think it could make the media last longer and save some money.

WHat are your thoughts on this idea and if you have done something other then this let me know if you have a better idea. You never know until you ask and you guys might have a better idea and someone else out there might have been thinking of how they could do what I just said and I might have helped someone putting this on here. thanks guys.

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are considering using the apex solenoid then you will need an air pump to force air through it. It will not work on the suction of the skimmer alone. I use one to keep my desiccant from being exhausted to quickly from the ozonator. Have you considered just trying to draw air from outside into your skimmer? What are your swings anyhow? If they seem way radical then it might just be your probe or testing method...

OP
OP
BedrockIOMC

BedrockIOMC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are considering using the apex solenoid then you will need an air pump to force air through it. It will not work on the suction of the skimmer alone. I use one to keep my desiccant from being exhausted to quickly from the ozonator. Have you considered just trying to draw air from outside into your skimmer? What are your swings anyhow? If they seem way radical then it might just be your probe or testing method...
I havent thought of the outside air till now. will have to see what I can come up with on that one. I use my APex, Hanna PH probe, and API PH as well.

I know most would worry about the swing im having but im the type that I do worry about it and doesnt like it. Just who I am even though everyone but a couple doesnt agree with me. Oh well.

upload_2018-10-25_10-26-8.png

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That swing is fairly typical, mine is similar but slightly higher. My swings are 7.9-8.1 every day so I would try the airline first before complicating things and breaking the bank.

OP
OP
BedrockIOMC

BedrockIOMC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It wouldnt break it just doing something small like that. I just have to figure out a way to get a line to out side some where. If I can do that it wont be a issue. Thanks for bring that back to my head though. I have gotten tunnel vision on the scrubber and had closed my eyes to other things.

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, I know that feeling. I think all reefers get sidebarred by a brainstorm....
What I did was run a 3/4 pvc pipe along the wall and directly into the attic with a DIY filter box up there to keep critters out. The reason for the pipe was to minimize any resistance for the skimmer intake...

OP
OP
BedrockIOMC

BedrockIOMC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, I know that feeling. I think all reefers get sidebarred by a brainstorm....
What I did was run a 3/4 pvc pipe along the wall and directly into the attic with a DIY filter box up there to keep critters out. The reason for the pipe was to minimize any resistance for the skimmer intake...
See thats a lot of my problem is where I live I cant do that. I am in a apartment and will have to go to a window or my door. If I could find a big enough crack through the door it would be great to run one to it because its closer and I could run a smaller rubber hose that is like the one on my skimmer and through corner of the door would be idea. Ill have to check that when I get home.

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See thats a lot of my problem is where I live I cant do that. I am in a apartment and will have to go to a window or my door. If I could find a big enough crack through the door it would be great to run one to it because its closer and I could run a smaller rubber hose that is like the one on my skimmer and through corner of the door would be idea. Ill have to check that when I get home.
Now you have a new brainstorm and you won't be able to function all day.... :p

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

SecondCityCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your Apex probe actually accurate? Did you double check with a second test device or chemical test? My probe is so far off I can't trust it. Even after calibration.

ReefKeeperElite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently added a scrubber to my tank and it raised my PH from 7.6-7.8 to 8.0-8.2. I have my tank in the basement and no possible to vent outside so I pull moist air from my skimmer cup. Media is supposed to last alot longer. So far so good. Good luck

Here are the two threads that were most helpful to me:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-experience-raising-ph.394826/

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/question-for-those-that-have-a-basement-system-co2.414772/page-2

Here’s mine.
Works like a champ...

420e886168501b35253f26670b4cf4dd.jpg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back