Switched to Fritz RPM salt

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got another box of fritz. Very happy with the numbers of this batch (again). Hope it stays close to this! Here's the test results...

At 35ppt...

Alkalinity - 9.4 dkh
Calcium - 440 ppm
Magnesium - 1450 ppm

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got another box of fritz. Very happy with the numbers of this batch (again). Hope it stays close to this! Here's the test results...

At 35ppt...

Alkalinity - 9.4 dkh
Calcium - 440 ppm
Magnesium - 1450 ppm
Yikes. That alk is too high for my tank. I liked the 8.5 like before.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes. That alk is too high for my tank. I liked the 8.5 like before.

I can measure again before I do the waterchange. It will probably go down lol. But yeah, it's a little on the high side for some, and for Fritz's stated alk parameters. Don't know if this is result of their new high alk testing, but if it is it's not printed on the box. I'm using hanna alk checker and I tested with older (not expired reagent) as well as a brand new reagent. Both with the same results. I run my alkalinity at 8.5, but with a 20% waterchange on my 250 gallon system a dkh of 9.5 with the new water won't rise the total alkalinity of the tank enough for me to worry about. I'm also planning on setting up a continuous water change system with the ghl maxi doser, so a little higher dkh to start is in my mind a good thing.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can measure again before I do the waterchange. It will probably go down lol. But yeah, it's a little on the high side for some, and for Fritz's stated alk parameters. Don't know if this is result of their new high alk testing, but if it is it's not printed on the box. I'm using hanna alk checker and I tested with older (not expired reagent) as well as a brand new reagent. Both with the same results. I run my alkalinity at 8.5, but with a 20% waterchange on my 250 gallon system a dkh of 9.5 with the new water won't rise the total alkalinity of the tank enough for me to worry about. I'm also planning on setting up a continuous water change system with the ghl maxi doser, so a little higher dkh to start is in my mind a good thing.
No no no. Its fine! I commented while in transit. Fritz said they were raising the alk. I was hoping they wouldnt lol

I'm still on a old box that mixes at 8-8.5. I have tropic marin on reserve when this box is empty. It is what it is. ;)

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No no no. Its fine! I commented while in transit. Fritz said they were raising the alk. I was hoping they wouldnt lol

I'm still on a old box that mixes at 8-8.5. I have tropic marin on reserve when this box is empty. It is what it is. ;)

"It is what it is" basically sums up how I feel on the whole salt brand subject anyways. In the pursuit of a "perfect salt", in the end, it is what it is! Consistency has become my pursuit.

I'm sure it's not easy for any of these manufacturers to do this and still make it affordable/profitable.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But in small water change (ie: 12.5 gallons for my m purposes) the Alk of 10ish doesn’t really affect my alkalinity swing. Maybe 0.1-0.2, while keeping alk in the 9 range.

I dose calcium up to 430 before it goes into the tank.

That said, I was using RSCP due to the Red Sea program but my corals did not like that so have stopped it and will go back to IO once this bucket is done.

As for fritz, I was using it, but was getting whacky parameters.
Yeah,
I always dosed up the cal and mag while mixing the IO salt mix too. Really not a big deal.

I was just about to go back to Fritz until I saw those wack'd out parameters :confused:. It used to mix spot on :)

Waalker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I do want to say that I really like Fritz as well. Not only is it easy to mix, it is affordable, and available at my LFS. That being said, I wanted to know if any of you are running the Triton method with it AND had an ICP test done. The reason I ask is mine was returned with crazy levels of various metals Aluminum, Zanadium, Bit of Copper, etc..Now this could of have been me as well but someone else in a Triton Support group posted their ICP test of a Fritz batch of salt and it had above average metal readings as well. So do be aware this could be a thing made worse by other possible sources such as > 0 TDS water. Thoughts?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I do want to say that I really like Fritz as well. Not only is it easy to mix, it is affordable, and available at my LFS. That being said, I wanted to know if any of you are running the Triton method with it AND had an ICP test done. The reason I ask is mine was returned with crazy levels of various metals Aluminum, Zanadium, Bit of Copper, etc..Now this could of have been me as well but someone else in a Triton Support group posted their ICP test of a Fritz batch of salt and it had above average metal readings as well. So do be aware this could be a thing made worse by other possible sources such as > 0 TDS water. Thoughts?
Someone complained of high boron. I did a google search for Fritz salt ICP and Fritz High boron. Could you share the ICP test with us?

Waalker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the link to mine, it is a work in progress.
https://www.triton-lab.de/en/showroom/aquarium/auswertung-b/icp-oes/55818/

Below are pictures of what was shared from the person who did the ICP on a Fritz batch, test done on 9/13/2017.
28661408_10156205520033044_3536707892200339616_n.jpg

28660889_10156205520678044_2899681384428919337_n.jpg

28951829_10156205521628044_3508042636576209396_n.jpg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I'm not a fan of boron that high (it gives people a false sense of carbonate alkalinity from total alkalinity tests), I don't think it causes other problems. Seachem salt had super high borate (12x normal) for many years (intentionally).

The amount that borate contributes to alkalinity depends strongly on pH. At 35 ppt NSW levels of everything, at pH 8, borate provides only about 0.14 dKH of alk. At pH 8.55, it contributes about 0.6 dKH.

If you raise the boron level by 2.5x, as in the above ICP test, the borate alk is about 0.34 dKH at pH 8 and 1.44 dKH at pH 8.55.

I discuss boron here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20030102144057/https://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/dec2002/chem

Zazzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swear by it now and even got flamed for supporting it when I posted about it . LOL and I am like the only guy not trying to sell ish or anything on here just a lifelong enthusiast
Who do u order it from. It's not on brs

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS uses it, and sells it, at a reasonable price... I like it.

Who do u order it from. It's not on brs

I buy it locally. You can find it if you google it, but online prices seem to be high.

NemNation

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a box back when the hype started. Seems like a ton of LFS’s jumped on Board quickly. Guessing due to pricing on their end or the sales pitch was that good. Either way, the alk was ridicously off. They were new, so if things have gotten better I may give them a second chance. Sounds like many aren’t having issues like before.

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a box back when the hype started. Seems like a ton of LFS’s jumped on Board quickly. Guessing due to pricing on their end or the sales pitch was that good. Either way, the alk was ridicously off. They were new, so if things have gotten better I may give them a second chance. Sounds like many aren’t having issues like before.
I had two seperate boxes with crazy high mag, alk and calcium. Switched to salinity and now I'm just using regular instant ocean.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a box with high calcium and magnesium. Magnesium was really high. That was about 4 months ago, been spot on before that and since. Funny that it seemed to coincided with live aquaria launching their salt (which I think is the same).

Anyways, for the price, I find it to be a good salt. Imo all salts have issues at different times, or all the time with some. I just test every batch before I go dumping it in. I also now have auto waterchanges, which only changes a few gallons a day, so basically any decent quality salt does the trick! I do like Fritz though.

yellojello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tested the Red version to see if it holds alkalinity during storage after it's mixed?

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good thread! If the issues with the blue box of Fritz has been fixed it sounds like a good choice for me and for the levels I like to target. I am currently using an old favorite, Hw Marine Mix Pro, not the Reefer. Great salt, mixes clean and I have yet to have a batch that was way off, mixes very close to Fritz specs. Only issue is cost which is not overly high and availability I can only get it at BRS now and have not had it locally for a LONG time. Fritz is almost everywhere now locally and is about $65 pre tax for 200g, Hw Pro is $71.99 shipped from BRS for 160g. Up front price is nearly the same but you get 30g more wirh Fritz, that and being available locally is very appealing to me.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spent an hour talking to a Fritz Biochemist last year at an event. A Chemist NOT a Marketing/Sales person...

Fritz pulls every 20th box and does a full QA test for elements and trace elements.

If the batch in the 20th box doesn't meet QA standards, all 20 boxes don't get shipped.

Tell me another salt mfg that does that!!!!

;)

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Im almost fully sold on Fritz. I've tryed a few but never fully changed off of reef crystals since I was 15 years old. Currently using a 50 50 mix of rc and Fritz, but after getting my hands on a red box I'm going to give it a try stand alone. It's nice to not have to clean all my mixing equipment every other week lol!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 65 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.0%
Back