Switched to Fritz RPM salt

LostInTheDark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK
I received my new box of 200g Fritz yesterday. I mixed up a fresh batch just to test

Mixed about 6 gallons adding salt slowly over about 15 minutes.
Temp 76 degrees .35 Salinity.
I let it aerate for another 20 minutes.
All test are Salifert
Alk - 9.5-10 (from first turning orange till no further change)
Cal - off the chart >500 ( never started to change )
Mag - off the chart >1500(never started to change)
Ran the test again an hour later after aerating (no change)

I'm not all that concerned because my system is about 250 gallons total water volume and I have to dose anyway. But this does explain why I never have to dose Mag and I dose less Cal then I thought I would.

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK
I received my new box of 200g Fritz yesterday. I mixed up a fresh batch just to test

Mixed about 6 gallons adding salt slowly over about 15 minutes.
Temp 76 degrees .35 Salinity.
I let it aerate for another 20 minutes.
All test are Salifert
Alk - 9.5-10 (from first turning orange till no further change)
Cal - off the chart >500 ( never started to change )
Mag - off the chart >1500(never started to change)
Ran the test again an hour later after aerating (no change)

I'm not all that concerned because my system is about 250 gallons total water volume and I have to dose anyway. But this does explain why I never have to dose Mag and I dose less Cal then I thought I would.
Yup, i had the same results with two boxes in a row from fritz. Contacted them directly and they denied seeing these results with their QA. I'm using aquavitro salinity now, which perfectly matches batch specs. To be honest, I think you almost break even since you can get a 225 gallon bucket of aquavitro from 90-100 here, and it actually mixes to 35ppt and 225 gallons.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few months ago considering switching to Fritz so I can make 25% waterchanges. I spoke to Matt from boom corals and his switching to fritz convince me to give it a try.. Before making a purchase I came across this thread and decided to stay with IO. For SPS sometimes I feel making a large waterchange with IO is not beneficial, when it should be. I'd like to make a 50% waterchange every 6 months to just replenish what I may have missed.

Anways, Today, I went to the LFS to get some IO.. Then I see a bunch of nice shiney Fritz boxes...I asked them about the ALK Parameters being elevated and they said "No its mixes at 8.5dkh". Then I asked them is this old or new - they said " we just got it in". They had no clue.. What do I do - pace around the store looking at things I know I don't need while considering if I should go with IO $50 or Fritz $64. Since the price seemed low to me I said "what the heck i'll hope I get one with lower ALK and it was just others testing wrong".

Then I read this article by Reefbuilders mentioned how Fritz is going with higher alk, as if we are suppose to be happy! RPM salt is being elevated with ALK and I do not see a new name on the box. It seems to me they just want to compete with IO main clientele - they entire world and public aquaria. Makes sense from a business point of view but from a consumer point of view I hope ALK is under 9DKH. If the ALK readings are slightly less than IO I can live with it. However, if MG is too high as you all mentioned I will have to mix in some other salt just to bring it down to under 1400. I am not that concerned I just hope it mixes at the parameters I have in my tank which is the reason why I decided to give it a try.. I'll keep you all posted on parameters tonight

https://reefbuilders.com/2017/09/26/fritz-rpm-salt-mix-now-comes-in-high-alkalinity-formula/

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mixed the 30gallons of fritz salt on Thurs night in cold water and got below readings after 1 hour of mixing.

Salinity - 35PPT
ALK (hanna) - 9DKH

On FridayI tested again with temperature at 78degree and it was the same at 9DKH. I did not bother to check MG, CA, but will test the tank tonight to see if my CA, MG increased significantly from my current ranges of CA 420 and MG 1400. Aslong as they are slightly elevated and nothing out of the oridinary I will consider this salt a hugh improvement to IO which was running at 10+DkH. If my AlK is reasonable I will make long overdue 3-4 25% waterchanges in few weeks time.

timkenagy

~Unashamed 116~
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have used rc for years it leaves a brown resido on all my Rubbermaid containers. Have changed salt brand to Kent not sure about the brand you are talking about . I think the resido is clay

Normally the brown residue is from the chelator that IO puts in RC. Getting TDS to 0 should fix it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normally the brown residue is from the chelator that IO puts in RC. Getting TDS to 0 should fix it.

How do you know it is that, and not other effects? nearly everyone experiences it with RC, and it seems much more than trace elements such as iron might account for..

LJLKRL05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mixed 200 gallons using the last of a bucket and part of a new box to salinity of 35 ppt and the KH was 9.3 on a salifert test and the calcium was 430 on a salifert test.
Did not check magnesium.
So far I have been happy with it and my corals look good with it to.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mixed 200 gallons using the last of a bucket and part of a new box to salinity of 35 ppt and the KH was 9.3 on a salifert test and the calcium was 430 on a salifert test.
Did not check magnesium.
So far I have been happy with it and my corals look good with it to.

I got similar readings but 9DkH on the hanna checker. My tank is clearly responding well to the 2 large waterchanges i've made in the past 2 weeks with Fritz. I only recorded a .1 DKH increase during a 25% waterchange and CA and MG stayed the same - Love this salt!

atticus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read through a couple pages so where does everyone stand with fritz? I’m currently using RC. No probs other than the brown in my mixing station, but looking to make a switch not sure why but the the thought you get what you pay for keeps coming into my mind so was thinking of switch to something that wouldn’t break the bank.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read through a couple pages so where does everyone stand with fritz? I’m currently using RC. No probs other than the brown in my mixing station, but looking to make a switch not sure why but the the thought you get what you pay for keeps coming into my mind so was thinking of switch to something that wouldn’t break the bank.

It took me over 5 months of debating to finally switch; with good reason i've used IO for 20 years. My reasons is since this is my first SPS reef I found ideal ALK to be around 8DkH. I found myself slacking on waterchanges with IO and was unable to make large waterchange even during emergency.

In the past month since going with Fritiz i've made 3 X25% waterchanges and notice my alk only going up by .1 -.2 DkH each time and CA would remain at 420ppm. IO would increase it by .5DKH so had to make only small waterchanges. Also, another benefit is there is no 1 day adjustment period while the tank gets used to the new parameters, as I have noticed exist when parameters are off and doing larger waterchanges.

I feel IO and RC still to be great and very consistent with the high parameters. However, if your running lower ALK and CA then id consider giving Fritz a try. Its more expensive but worth that your tank could remain more stable.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Through correspondence with their customer support team..

If I get time to sift through years of emails, I’ll post here.

If you find it, I'd appreciate it. :)

Best I could get out of someone in the know on the topic of the organics in Reef Crystals is that Reef Crystals has a chelator that is commonly used in aquarium products, and that the vitamins may not be helpful, but customers liked the idea of them. :D

atticus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have called and emailed about info about there product and nothing! Guess I’ll be looking for another alternative!

LJLKRL05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know I just got another box of fritz and I discovered the big zip tie on the bag is removable and reusable.
Press the tab in and open it up.

burtonboy182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for you fritz users.

I have a salt water mixing station. I would like to mix 2 weeks - 4 weeks worth of salt at one time and do 25% water changes weekly.

I’ll have the station turn on a couple times a day for 30 minutes. What would this do negatively for this salt?

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump for this thread. Have some questions for those using Fritz RPM

Who's all still using Fritz RPM?

Are the calcium and magnesium levels still testing high? >500 calcium >1500 magnesium?

What's the deal with them supposedly "testing" higher alkalinity batches? Is this a definite plan? Has this been implemented?

Is LiveAquaria salt relabeled Fritz salt?

Hopefully @Shawn Hale can address some of these concerns and changes with this salt.

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump for this thread. Have some questions for those using Fritz RPM

Who's all still using Fritz RPM?

Are the calcium and magnesium levels still testing high? >500 calcium >1500 magnesium?

What's the deal with them supposedly "testing" higher alkalinity batches? Is this a definite plan? Has this been implemented?

Is LiveAquaria salt relabeled Fritz salt?

Hopefully @Shawn Hale can address some of these concerns and changes with this salt.

I tried contacting live aquaria with this question but they didn't even reply to the email.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 28 60.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back