pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing that I don't understand is that on their website they list this:
35 ppt (1.025 sg)

I didn't think that is a correct conversion.

it's not, and I am not overly concerned with that. at 1.025, my numbers are almost identical to what Fritz says.

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always aim for 33 to 34. If I over shoot a small batch (daily amount) to 35 or even 36 and don't have time to dilute it I don't sweat it. If I am mixing a large batch I don't settle for anything but 34.

I also run a salinity probe so if my tank is already at 35 I will undershoot a tad and go for 33 to 34. If the tank gets down below 34 for what ever reason them I'll allow an over shoot.

I say that because getting a perfect reading even with a milwalkie is some times aggrivating the way my rodi is run to my mixing station and I don't mix the same amount of water every time, nor can I necessarily measure exactly how much water I've made so measuring salt volume is a no go (and not a very good way to mix salt anyway if you ask me).

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so had a friend bring his refractometer today and his red sea test kit. Made a fresh batch from one of my boxes of fritz. Salt was mixed for 1 hour, even though usually it's good after only 30 minutes. 35ppt according to both my milwaukee digital and his refractometer. According to his red sea and my salifert test kits, here are the numbers (both were almost dead on with each other)

1620 mag
9.6 dkh
500 calc

Also checked, PH at 8.0 according to API and my apex PH probe.

Batch number 29188. I'd love to find out why this batch is so different than the fritz I'd been using for the past 6 months. I go through 2 boxes of salt a month because of my coral business and size of my system. Looking back, I could practically set my watch by the fritz salt, it was almost always dead on 1450 mag, 450 calc, 8.5 dkh. I am very hesitant to get more fritz salt at this point. :/

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so had a friend bring his refractometer today and his red sea test kit. Made a fresh batch from one of my boxes of fritz. Salt was mixed for 1 hour, even though usually it's good after only 30 minutes. 35ppt according to both my milwaukee digital and his refractometer. According to his red sea and my salifert test kits, here are the numbers (both were almost dead on with each other)

1620 mag
9.6 dkh
500 calc

Also checked, PH at 8.0 according to API and my apex PH probe.

Batch number 29188. I'd love to find out why this batch is so different than the fritz I'd been using for the past 6 months. I go through 2 boxes of salt a month because of my coral business and size of my system. Looking back, I could practically set my watch by the fritz salt, it was almost always dead on 1450 mag, 450 calc, 8.5 dkh. I am very hesitant to get more fritz salt at this point. :/

Try it at 1.025 (33ppt) and see what the numbers are?

As mentioned earlier, mine at 33 were basically dead in with what Fritz says.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will try that soon! Salt is mixing up now, and will repeat the tests at 33 ppt.

Unless you mismeasure, it is trivial to determine what it will be at 33 vs 35 ppt:

1620 mag ---> 1527 ppm
9.6 dkh ----> 9.1 dKH
500 calc ----> 471 ppm

But bear in mind that to do this comparison you are making 4 measurements that are all likely imperfect (two salinity measurements and two parameter measurements).

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you mismeasure, it is trivial to determine what it will be at 33 vs 35 ppt:

1620 mag ---> 1527 ppm
9.6 dkh ----> 9.1 dKH
500 calc ----> 471 ppm

But bear in mind that to do this comparison you are making 4 measurements that are all likely imperfect (two salinity measurements and two parameter measurements).
Randy knows that science doesn't lie. :) After 30 minutes of mixing, repeated the tests at 33ppt.

Mag 1530
9.2 dkh
480 calc

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy knows that science doesn't lie. :) After 30 minutes of mixing, repeated the tests at 33ppt.

Mag 1530
9.2 dkh
480 calc

Ha, I give you the title of "Analytical Chemist of the Day" :D

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for fun I made a fresh batch of fritz while I was making my weekly WC with aquavitro.

Both solutions were mixed to 35.0ppt with a calibrated lab grade conductivity meter.
Fritz calcium was >500 (I didn't bother to refill the red sea syringe to go further than 500).
Aquavitro calcium was 420 (guaranteed analysis on the bucket is 426ppm)

I'll probably do mag and potassium on both as well.

Mr.Fishtank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shawn,

Thanks. My process is detailed above at some point.

I love how fast fritz mixes up. The price fits my wallet.

As for calibrating the Milwaukee, the manufacturer, they specifically State to use rodi, zero it out and then test.

I spoke to Andy today and advised to do 2c at one time, wait 15 minutes, add another 2 cups (or finish the process). I am getting ready to make a test batch of 5g. Will report the test findings.

Yes, for Milwaukee zero it with 0 TDS rodi water. Then I alway use a 1.025 standard solution to make sure it is reading correctly.

brad65ford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was told this salt precipitation pretty heavily has I've noticed myself and others. Not sure how to get around this, I've attempted to add the salt slowly to the water mix this time around hopefully it work and allows it not to precipitation so bad.

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was told this salt precipitation pretty heavily has I've noticed myself and others. Not sure how to get around this, I've attempted to add the salt slowly to the water mix this time around hopefully it work and allows it not to precipitation so bad.
Only time ive seen that was when i had a few gallons of IO left in the bottom and then added 10 more gallons of water and added Fritz.

I think the high alk im IO combined w the high CA in fritz caused it.

LostInTheDark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems every salt goes through this stage. I used Aquavitro Salinity for years until I hit a few bad batches. Lost a bunch of nice colonies to the ALK swing. Taught me a lesson to test each new bucket and not just assume its good. The inconsistencies and the cost going up by $5 every time I went to buy it made me look for a new salt. I've used several boxes of Fritz in the last 6 months and they all test to specs. I have another box being delivered today. I'll post the numbers when I mix my next batch.

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I make 15 gallons at a time. I typically add 3 cups let it mix clear and then add the rest 4.5 cups. Mixes up at 1.025. Last batch was 8.6 alk, 440 calcium

Dave's Nano Tanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this where we can talk to Sean {Mr Fritz} ? I have tried the "contact us" on the fritz page a few times and never got any answers. I loved the product and support at RAP NY/NJ but feel kinda left in the dark now.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 138 74.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 8.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 28 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back