Switching 2 part diy question

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have. 200 total water volume reef tank. Currently I am dosing 70ml a day of carbocalcium dosed evenly throughout the day via an Neptune dos. At night I am dosing 1900ml of saturated Kalk via Neptune dos to try and keep ph elevated. Someone recommended I switch to Randy’s high pH 2 part. I have a couple of questions. 1 How much of the Randy’s higher pH will equal what I’m dosing now? Is there a formula? 2. as far as the calcium part is concerned if I buy the brs pre measured Pharma calcium packets that make 1 gallon is that the same as Randy’s calcium 2 part recipe? 3. will another doser be necessary for magnesium using this method? Currently i rarely add magnesium. I dose manually with brightwell magnesion p when my trident indicates I’m lower than 1400 which is is maybe once a month. 4 and Lastly can/should I add strontium to the calcium part? I have brighwell stontion p on hand. How much if that would I add per gallon of calcium 2 part?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lastly can/should I add strontium to the calcium part? I have brighwell stontion p on hand. How much if that would I add per gallon of calcium 2 part?

I personally wouldn't (didn't) add any or dose any. I'm not sure how much one should add, depending on what the goal was.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At night I am dosing 1900ml of saturated Kalk via Neptune dos to try and keep ph elevated. Someone recommended I switch to Randy’s high pH 2 part. I have a couple of questions. 1 How much of the Randy’s higher pH will equal what I’m dosing now? Is there a formula? 2. as far as the calcium part is concerned if I buy the brs pre measured Pharma calcium packets that make 1 gallon is that the same as Randy’s calcium 2 part recipe?

1900 mL of kalkwasser has the same alk and calcium as about 146 mL of each part of the two part.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a calculator for your high ph 2 part and is the brs calcium 2 part recipe the same as yours?

When you say high pH, you mean the sodium hydroxide version? It has the same potency as the sodium carbonate version.

So my recipe #1 in this calculator;

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back