Switching from BRS to ESV B ionic. What should I expect to change?

pga7602

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and you no longer need to worry about a magnesium part as it is mixed into the calcium part. :)

This would be a huge convenience. I can't seem to find anywhere that states that the CA includes Mag. It's also confusing because they do sell the MAG as a separate product.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All commercial two parts should contain just enough magnesium to keep it stable. B-ionic certainly does.

Same as if my three part is dosed exactly as directed. :)

If you want to boost magnesium significantly, you'd use their (or my) stand alone magnesium supplement. :)

slicko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so i have few questions on this one about the alk/sulfate part.

Do i bake the bi carb soda and then measure the weight after its baked (374.7grams) or bake the (594grams) and trust it is correct?

Can i use just 594grams un baked bi carb as i have room to move on my ph either way? Will this throw out the balance?? Will this disolve ok?

JimWelsh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is thoroughly baked, then it doesn't matter whether you measure 594 g of sodium bicarbonate and bake or bake and measure 374.7 g of sodium carbonate, but if the baking is incomplete for any reason, then measuring 594 g of sodium bicarbonate and then baking is preferred. No, 594 g of sodium bicarbonate will not dissolve in one gallon of water. Use recipe #2 instead.

slicko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so just replace the 594g of Sodium Bicarbonate with 297g and its all still blanced and happy days?

slicko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone know if that will work? my tubs are nearly empty want to change over if so.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so just replace the 594g of Sodium Bicarbonate with 297g and its all still blanced and happy days?

Replace it with what exactly? Pure sodium carbonate? If so, you'd use 375 g. :)

slicko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i purchased pure sodium carbonate and it does not dilute in water, just stays soluble, so im wanting to use sodium bicarbonate only(no baking no ticking around no trying to turn it into sodium carbonate) to replace the alk part of this recipe in an amount which is balanced to dose same volume as the cal,mag. i tried baking the 594grams sodium bicarbonate 1hr at 180 degrees celcius then when re-weighed it doesnt turn out to be 374.7grams. i tried using that amount anyway and throwing out the rest and it still did not mix and was un-soluble.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what exactly you are saying, but sodium carbonate is more soluble in water than sodium bicarbonate. That is why my two recipes have different concentrations. You need more water with the bicarbonate. :)

How much water did you use?

slicko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe i havent got sodium carbonate?

what im saying is i want to use sodium bicarbonate only for the alk/sulfate part and wanted to know a grams number to be balanced with the cal/mag solution

mazoli

(re)Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

CherBear811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, question about the ESV ionic mg. I have some that came in a lot I bought. I'm wondering what kind of mg is in it? Is it predominately mg chloride. Sulfate or a mix like the brs mix pouch?

Thanks!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, question about the ESV ionic mg. I have some that came in a lot I bought. I'm wondering what kind of mg is in it? Is it predominately mg chloride. Sulfate or a mix like the brs mix pouch?

Thanks!

It’s a mix. It’s hard for me to tell if it has low levels of additional elements like bromide, but in general it should be very close to my dIY magnesium supplement that is about 10 parts chloride to one part sulfate (not the 5:3 used with the diy two part)

Frogger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy, Jim or anyone else who can answer this question. I can not seem to find it answered anywhere.
My tank uses a lot of this solution and I am trying to figure out exactly how much salt water I need to be removing from the tank each day to balance the increase in salinity that using the sodium carbonate/ sodium sulphate true 2 part.

From what Jim has said using this mixture will increase the free NaCl by 419g/gallon of 2 part. If this is correct and mixed seawater has approximately 30g/l of Nacl then my calculations has it for every litre of each part I would be adding 3.7l of saltwater.

Every day I add 160ml of part A and 160ml of part B should I be removing 592ml (just over 2 cups) of saltwater every day from my tank to maintain my salinity?

Frogger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Responded is another thread
Yes I figured it must be unfortunately I cannot find it. I have tried over 20 different search parameters (in reef2reef) but have been unsuccessful in finding the thread. As there are thousands and thousands of threads with hundreds of posts in each thread I thought it be be easier to just ask.

I will keep looking:(

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back