Switching from China LED to T5

Mike O.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everybody,

I have a Reefer 250 and switching from a China box to an 8 bulb T5 (24 watt). Does anyone have a mounting height recommendation above the water line? The tank is 21" deep.

Thanks in Advance

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everybody,

I have a Reefer 250 and switching from a China box to an 8 bulb T5 (24 watt). Does anyone have a mounting height recommendation above the water line? The tank is 21" deep.

Thanks in Advance
Do you have access to a par meter? I'd start out kind of high just so that you don't shock anything or start frying corals, i'd say 14 to 16 inches off waters surface just to be safe. But if you can, see if a local reefer near you has a par meter they'd be willing to let you borrow so you know some exact numbers you're getting out of the fixture :)

reefndude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was running a t5 fixture I started off at about 16" above water surface. I didn't have a par meter handy so I had to keep a close eye on my sps. Not the best way to go about. I lowered it an inch every couple of weeks and ended up setting 10" above water line

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10-12” operating height is generally acceptable if you’re using an ati fixture. If you’re using an aquatic life, giesemann, or any other brand, you can go much closer to the water. 3-4” or so. Most of the other options out there come with tank mount legs that put them fairly close to the water.

OP
OP
Mike O.

Mike O.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the input so far. I failed to mention that it'll have a Reef Brite XHO blue bar attached as well. Just waiting on the bulbs to come in from BRS. 12" sounds like a good starting point to me.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a lot more light than you had most likely. The reefbright alone are pretty powerful. I think you need 12in for the led to cover.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back