Switching from Radion G5 Blue to T5

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I’m currently running 4 XR15 Gen 5’s Blue a 48” 120G with canopy. With all of the mobius issues and now cracked lights i’m looking for any feedback on switching. Mixed reef with LPS and just started adding SPS and a couple acros, all are doing great.

Budget is 2k
How many bulb fixture would I need to support sps?
Recommendation on bulbs? I do like the color of ab+, maybe more on the blue side
Should I add 2 Orphek or Reef Brites right away? I enjoy the dusk/dawn effect. Looking at the Orphek UV and Blue
I have an Apogee 510 to test par, currently sitting at 110 on the sand. Should i expect more par from this setup?

Been years since I used T5’s, I appreciate any help
2456112C-6A84-4B67-AC07-A8B99B00A07E.jpeg

lexinverts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should check out ReeFi Duo Extremes. You won’t have any problems with them!

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the following combo over my DT and frag tank and it works great, Dimmable ATI Sunpower with two Reefbrite XHO Blue strips on each side.

Excellent Pop from reefbrites, sunrise and sunset due to multiple T5 channels and the LEDs, and great, distributed PAR from the ATI. Really cant go wrong there, and WAY more affordable than the Radions.

Whether you go with a 6 or 8 bulb Sunpower depends on the width of your tank. I use 8 bulb units

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the following combo over my DT and frag tank and it works great, Dimmable ATI Sunpower with two Reefbrite XHO Blue strips on each side.

Excellent Pop from reefbrites, sunrise and sunset due to multiple T5 channels and the LEDs, and great, distributed PAR from the ATI. Really cant go wrong there, and WAY more affordable than the Radions.

Whether you go with a 6 or 8 bulb Sunpower depends on the width of your tank. I use 8 bulb units
Thanks! Tank is 48L 25W 24T

Cameron Carter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d go dimmable SunPower with two reef brites as well. Should be well within budget, Orpheks are cool too, I’ve owned both as well as ati dimmable fixtures. They are great

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’d go dimmable SunPower with two reef brites as well. Should be well within budget, Orpheks are cool too, I’ve owned both as well as ati dimmable fixtures. They are great

Could you please post a video here:

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I’m currently running 4 XR15 Gen 5’s Blue a 48” 120G with canopy. With all of the mobius issues and now cracked lights i’m looking for any feedback on switching. Mixed reef with LPS and just started adding SPS and a couple acros, all are doing great.

Budget is 2k
Recommendation on bulbs? I do like the color of ab+, maybe more on the blue side
Should I add 2 Orphek or Reef Brites right away? I enjoy the dusk/dawn effect. Looking at the Orphek UV and Blue
I have an Apogee 510 to test par, currently sitting at 110 on the sand. Should i expect more par from this setup?

I think with the right LED bar you won't miss the so called "pop" and blue look. I don't understand much about the bars, as you know.
Get the 6 bulb fixture over it with the combo that pleases you the most. T5s will be great for that system. T5s grow SPS like a charm! You won't regret IMO/E.

Last edited:

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get the dimmable t5 unit. I looked at it online as an option when i was look for lighting. Pricey but looks real nice. I think you have to order because i didnt see one anywhere.

So are all your lights cracked and mobios not working for you? If so. Once you get those lights replaced. You will have no problem selling your fixtures to recoup money.

You will have to wait for them to get production back online before you get replacements. Good luck.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would not do the dimmable fixture. Reason being is bulbs need to be "burned in" before use(ATI recommends 50 hours at 100% before dimming them). Just a hassle I did not like when I was looking for a fixture. So I went with the regular sunpower. Just simple on and off, with 2 of the 6 bulbs, and reefbrites being my sunrise/sunset modes.

I would do a 6 bulb combo with reefbrites. Running 3 blue+, 1 actinic, 1 purple+, and 1 coral+. For reefbrites, 2 actinic blue XHO. Love this setup on my 80 cube. I get around 400 par at the top of my scape some 14" from my lights(36 tall tank), and about 150 at the sand.

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with previous posts. Go ATI with reefbrites. Do not go dimmable.
Look at forums and you will see 90% of T5 issues are due to dimmable problems. I'm sure you are sick of lighting issues at this point. The regular ATI is a tank and will last for a long time.
Dimming is a gimmick, save yourself the risk. There are hundreds of threads on bulb combos depending on taste.
Blue pluses with coral pluses and purple pluses give a real nice color to the corals. The reefbrites will pop everything

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Mobius issue should be resolved fairly quickly and Ecotech will address the cracked fixtures. If those are your only issues with the light now, I dont know that it would warrant a change (for me anyways). Unless it were an issue with coral health, I wouldn't switch at the moment.

I have six T5s over my 150g and they produce enough PAR to go SPS dominant on their own. Locations 3-6 on the PAR map are what is directly under the T5s (48" lights on a 60" tank). The most intense area (point 5) is 15" below the water surface and receives ~375 PAR.

Edit: and for what it's worth, my T5s are on dimmable ballasts but I don't have them dimming.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with previous posts. Go ATI with reefbrites. Do not go dimmable.
Look at forums and you will see 90% of T5 issues are due to dimmable problems. I'm sure you are sick of lighting issues at this point. The regular ATI is a tank and will last for a long time.
Dimming is a gimmick, save yourself the risk. There are hundreds of threads on bulb combos depending on taste.
Blue pluses with coral pluses and purple pluses give a real nice color to the corals. The reefbrites will pop everything
Yea dont need dimmable.
I purchased my whole T5 system used for under $300.
Proven results at a fraction of the cost of led's!
Almost went led's which I used with great results on my nano but could not see spending 2k+ for lighting.
Have a 6 bulb used unit on my 45 frag system.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everybody. I have to pull the canopy off and all the cabling out of cabinet to either fix them or return the lights. I recently had a chance to see a tank with T5 and Orphek bars, it was stunning with no shadowing. Just want something that’s set it and forget it. I have to measure the interior of the canopy tonight to see what I can fit.

Da8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Budget is 2k

Please find pictures and experience in my last building post.

I've switched almost two months ago from 3 radion g4pro to t5 and blue orphek bars and couldn't be happier.

Coral + and blue + 4/4, depending if you like more blue, 3/5. But with the or bars you'll have plenty of blue coloration.

I will ne
Ver regret the change.
Better visual. Better photos. No messy ecotech app.

RCS82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would forget the dimmable unit, not needed at all. Go with a 6 or 8 bulb fixture with an LED bar or 2, easy peasy. Some people split their combos half B+/C+, some put a 6500k into the mix which I really like. Or mix in a pink or a couple actinics for color. The choice is yours.

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to figure it out and stop switching lights if you want happy corals. Stability is key.

I agree the switch from AB+ G4's to Blues had zero impact on the coral being ticked off. It actually provided better coverage in the tank.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back