Switching from XM 20k to Phoenix 14k?

cMan5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers!
Up late doing some reefin research... And was curious if I should switch up my metal halide...

Currently on my biocube 29 HQI I am running a 125w XM 20k bulb... I'm not seeing much growth in my corals.. (I have a couple zoanthids, and three chalice pieces so far.)

I understand growth is normally slow for LPS, but I hear nothing but good things about the Phoenix 14k..

Would I notice much if I switched? Also, would I need to do anything specific to prevent my pieces from going into any sort of shock?

I am open to all suggestions as I am pretty new to this hobby:) just trying to learn the best way for my LPS to grow and be happy!

THANK YOU!

REEFKEEPER10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use mh but if you do switch you might want to put plastic window screen over your tank. Maybe a few layers and remove one layer a week. The 14k is going to have a lot more par than the 20k.

OP
OP
cMan5

cMan5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use mh but if you do switch you might want to put plastic window screen over your tank. Maybe a few layers and remove one layer a week. The 14k is going to have a lot more par than the 20k.
Nice... Never thought about that...

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You shouldn't have a problem if you acclimate the corals a little. As far as growth is concerned, as you know, there are many contributing factors. I think you could get better growth but honestly be prepared for a different look from the XM. You may not like the color over your tank.

OP
OP
cMan5

cMan5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Rev, maybe I should just be happy with my xm?? I do love the look of it...
"What's so good about the Phoenix" is what has my buttons turnin though...

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are these SE or DE bulbs y6our speaking of?

If you want a killer bulb you should try the SE Radium!

Sfgiants55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a 14k 150 watt Phoenix a couple days ago! I could not be more pleased from the awesome color it gives off! It's really blue for a 14k which is nice. As for growth I have heard that the par is excellent and will give you good growth!

OP
OP
cMan5

cMan5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these SE or DE bulbs y6our speaking of?

If you want a killer bulb you should try the SE Radium!

I believe it's only the DE that fits my HQI ballast for the biocube... So I've got a 150w DE XM 20k bulb..

I've read about the radiums.. But I also read that they preform well on certain ballast's? Bah!

I just want my corals to be happy, grow, and my tank to look stellar... that's all anyone want's right? ;) I think I've got the look down.. Just not quite sure if I've got the happiness and growth down... My zoa's seem to love the light... Not sure about the Chalice's yet..

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the 150w Phoenix and 70w XM 20k. Keep in mind most 70w are much whiter to the eye than the K rating. After a couple months of burn in both are nearly identical to the naked eye in K. The first couple months both were very blue...which I prefer...and again about the same K to the eye.
If you're growing mostly SPS I'd go with the Phoenix, if LPS I'd go with XM. If you want fast growth on LPS, spot feeding 3 or more times a week is more of a factor than the bulb from my experience.

OP
OP
cMan5

cMan5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're growing mostly SPS I'd go with the Phoenix, if LPS I'd go with XM. If you want fast growth on LPS, spot feeding 3 or more times a week is more of a factor than the bulb from my experience.

That's what I was lookin for! Thanks man!

Mr E Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've used xm20k, ushio 20k and other off-brand 20k bulbs... and the phoenix 14k is my favorite by far! still gives a lot of blue for a 14k

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 36.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back