Switching out Live Rock...

Saylor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 20 gal tank has been established for over a year and done well. I've ordered some new dry live rock and would like to swap out the the old for this new rock. I hate the live rock currently in it. It's heavy, big, and doesn't allow me to make it look neat or create more caves for my creatures. I didn't know better when I initially set up the tank. Anyway, other than curing the new rock, is there anything I should know before doing this? Any tips? I currently just have a Percula, a firefish Goby, and clean up crew in the tank, along with live rock, live sand, and chaeto. TIA!!!

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have corals in the tank?
How much sand?

What you're proposing is a pretty big undertaking and I'm not sure you're going to find a consensus on whether it's advisable or on exactly how to do it ;Blackeye
I'm sure it's possible.

Your concerns will likely be
1) making sure your new rock is adequately cycled (not just cured) before relying on it to replace well-established biological filtration (your existing rock).
2) the vagaries of massively disturbing your sand bed and whether you should fool with it or not.

Then there's the question of doing it all at once or trying a gradual approach. The new rock may well go through another ugly phase.

OP
OP
S

Saylor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not a deep sand bed, just about an inch deep. I was thinking of cycling it in a tank for a little while with BioSpira. Thanks for the feedback!

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
It's not a deep sand bed, just about an inch deep. I was thinking of cycling it in a tank for a little while with BioSpira. Thanks for the feedback!
With the new rock you are going to want to use a bacteria product.
But you should also have ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate test kits and run the rock through a full cycle.
I did the same recently with Dr. Tim's One and Only, and his ammonium chloride solution.

Eggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the size rock you ordered and how much room you have in your tank, can you gradually swap out the rock; starting off by adding just one new piece without taking any of the established rock out initially.
I’ve done this, but had a much larger tank volume to play with.

OP
OP
S

Saylor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the new rock you are going to want to use a bacteria product.
But you should also have ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate test kits and run the rock through a full cycle.
I did the same recently with Dr. Tim's One and Only, and his ammonium chloride solution.

Great! I have the works for testing kits. Was thinking I'd need to make it cycle and have a new bottle of BioSpira on hand. Glad to hear someone has successfully done it. Thanks for the feedback!

OP
OP
S

Saylor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the size rock you ordered and how much room you have in your tank, can you gradually swap out the rock; starting off by adding just one new piece without taking any of the established rock out initially.
I’ve done this, but had a much larger tank volume to play with.

I didn't really consider the gradual approach before and will keep that in mind. New rock will be here on Tuesday and after seeing what I'm working with will get a game plan. Glad it worked for you. Thanks for the feedback!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back