Switching out rock question

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why did you chose KP over TBS?

KP Aquatics offers better shipping for smaller quantities. With KP Aquatics, you can choose smaller quantities of rock and get it overnighted to you. You don't have to air freight it, and you don't have to order the 100lb minimum for air freighting as well. It's expensive, starting at $100 shipped for 10lbs, but it's overnighted so it's going to be pretty fresh still.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
KP Aquatics offers better shipping for smaller quantities. With KP Aquatics, you can choose smaller quantities of rock and get it overnighted to you. You don't have to air freight it, and you don't have to order the 100lb minimum for air freighting as well. It's expensive, starting at $100 shipped for 10lbs, but it's overnighted so it's going to be pretty fresh still.

KP is a good place, owners are good helpful people. I have been ordering from them since it was Sealife INC

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use mainly Bestfish.. The only live rock they carry is Gulfview which is very good aqua cultured rock and he picks it up himself. The rock I am looking at is from a place I have never been too yet called Milwaukee aquatics. I heard there rock is good and can be picked up the day they get it.. I want to see it first though because I do not really trust the place. Bestfish gets all my business on what he carries that I need but sometimes he does not have something or can not order it. The owner is a real good guy.
I will probably get some rock from Bestfish too if I go partly aqua cultured on my new build..

I have always order rock through Premium Aquatics, they just do not have it anymore.

Keep me updated with how your experience with Milwaukee Aquatics goes. Place is 'interesting' to say the least, but interesting is not necessarily a bad thing.

Sorry about taking this thread off topic, this will be the last unrelated post.

jakeh22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excuse my ignorance but how would that happen? I dip all my corals and only have a serpentine star. Is there anywhere I can purchase stuff like the little critters

Idk man I started with basically all dry rock with addition to some live rock from my fathers 150gal. I have sponges turblinas some aptasia a bunch of pods idk I like the idea of started from the bottom now I have a living biodiversity that I take care of. I’ve watched slugs and things I never put in there grow out of nowhere. To me that’s the fascinating part. I dip my corals also as well as some rocks that I acquire with corals on them.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Personally, I would not put the rock directly into an aquarium with live animals. Even if you air freight the rock and and it's shipped in water, there's still going to be some die off. It might not be a significant amount, but I personally don't want to take any chances when it comes to the animals in my tank.

Agreed.

Die off on KP will be determined by the amount of sponges.

Royce White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first set up my reef tank I ordered 20 lbs, live rock from Tampa Bay and was disappointed that I didn't get hitchhickers and other animals from the rock. Ordered from a supplier from Porto Rico and the same thing, was hoping for a lot of diversity but received great rock from both.

catmonaco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if you are about 2 hrs from Tampa Bay Rock, I wonder if I could pick it up myself. I've called several times and get no answer. Anyone know if I could.

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the same problem with dry rock. I got 100 pounds of dry rock from reef cleaners. It’s nice rock, but a year later and my tank isn’t as thriving as it should be. My coral just doesn’t grow, bubble algae I can’t seem to,completely eliminate, and the occasional 5 - 10 aptasia. I have been going back and forth with adding 10 lbs or so of live rock from my lfs to see if it helps. Is it safe to add live rock purchased from the lfs that has cured in their store directly to the tank?

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 60 42.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 68 48.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.6%
Back