Switching tanks, 75 gallon to 20 gallon

SwiftStorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not sure the best way to do this. I have a 75 gallon which has been running for over 3 years, and I want to take it down. I have a Nuvo 20 to put in its place. I feel like the best thing to do is to sell all the coral and fish and get new when the nuvo is cycled. Problem is that I would like to keep a few corals and a couple fish.

Can I just fill up new tank in another location with old water and a few rocks and move what I want to keep, then bucket stuff after old space is cleaned up? Not sure how things will take 2 separate moves. I will be using the same type of light. Also, I have a 25 watt aqua UV. I know it's too big, but can it be utilized?

BTW, I'm taking down the 75 because it has single overflow return and I'm tired of the gurgling.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure the best way to do this. I have a 75 gallon which has been running for over 3 years, and I want to take it down. I have a Nuvo 20 to put in its place. I feel like the best thing to do is to sell all the coral and fish and get new when the nuvo is cycled. Problem is that I would like to keep a few corals and a couple fish.

Can I just fill up new tank in another location with old water and a few rocks and move what I want to keep, then bucket stuff after old space is cleaned up? Not sure how things will take 2 separate moves. I will be using the same type of light. Also, I have a 25 watt aqua UV. I know it's too big, but can it be utilized?

BTW, I'm taking down the 75 because it has single overflow return and I'm tired of the gurgling.
Honestky, keep the fish and coral you want and just move them into a bucket whilst you empty the rest of the tank then move the Nuvo into that area and fill it then scape it then put what you want to keep in it then a bottle of nitrifying bacteria will come in use.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went from a 55g to a 12g in 2008. For me it was just a straight up move of a few of the 55g's smaller rocks (some with coral attached), sand (should be relatively clean) and the water. As mentioned above, you can keep these in a bucket with life support as you move the aquariums around.

You may encounter a 'mini-cycle' due to the disturbance, but all the necessary bacterial players should be there and in sufficient numbers. I waited a little while for the new system to stabilize before starting to add fish, but that's just me being cautious.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you need to upgrade the Overflow. Is that a possibility? Or do you just want to downgrade? You can simply just transfer as much as you can as it's all cycled and ready.
D

OP
OP
SwiftStorm

SwiftStorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That is my main concern, along with the diy look. I will get a little larger (longer) tank in the future.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went from a 55g to a 12g in 2008. For me it was just a straight up move of a few of the 55g's smaller rocks (some with coral attached), sand (should be relatively clean) and the water. As mentioned above, you can keep these in a bucket with life support as you move the aquariums around.

You may encounter a 'mini-cycle' due to the disturbance, but all the necessary bacterial players should be there and in sufficient numbers. I waited a little while for the new system to stabilize before starting to add fish, but that's just me being cautious.
I did the same, 70 to a 34. I used the same water.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 84 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.7%
Back