Switching to a new salt mix...

Mr_Banana_Pants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep us posted how it goes. I'm currently using Reef Crystals and will be switching, probably to Fritz, after Kevin scared me with his reef crystal facebook post about them! And I was already suspicious about their quality control...
I know a couple months behind on this lol, but I was using Fritz, and had an extra box of reef crystals I wanted to use up because I try to be thrifty at times and hate throwing things away... 2 days after a water change in had cyanobacteria in my frag tank and hair algea growing in my 20gal bedroom tank... never again

fastest302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a couple months behind on this lol, but I was using Fritz, and had an extra box of reef crystals I wanted to use up because I try to be thrifty at times and hate throwing things away... 2 days after a water change in had cyanobacteria in my frag tank and hair algea growing in my 20gal bedroom tank... never again
After using the reef crystals??

Mr_Banana_Pants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After using the reef crystals??
Yea, literally the only change in my tanks was a water change using reef crystals, prob 30-40%. Nothing else changed, nothing else added... 2 days cyanobacteria in my frag tank that I've been treating daily with no3po4x for 1 months and hair algea all over my rock on my 20 gal bedroom FOWLR

fishcrf450r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went from reef crystals to fritz .I've be very hapy with the change . My coral is loving it . Hair algae going away . And mixes instantly for me and no sludge .

My macro algae seems to grow slower , still healthy but growing slower .

Blitzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched from Red Sea regular and had no ill effects but I change about 2-3 gallons a day in a 185 gallon system.
When switching I kept a very close eye on parameters and nothing really spiked at all and I didn't even have to adjust the calcium reactor

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I from out of state NH and took a drive one day to wet pets and it was a nice store. Very small but I think they had a good selection of products wish I had a store like that around me.

Mr_Banana_Pants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I from out of state NH and took a drive one day to wet pets and it was a nice store. Very small but I think they had a good selection of products wish I had a store like that around me.
Have you tried jays aquadics in Salem NH?

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried jays aquadics in Salem NH?
Yes I have been there they have a good coral selection. But I think the fish selection. Is not the greatest. There was a another store down the street called OCEAN IN GLASS but they closed down a couple of weeks ago

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm I missing something here?
I've been using RC from the beginning, 2 yrs, using R/O, making 40-50 gal batches, using most of 1 bag to mix. Are, or did you buy pails? Did you re-mix the salt after bringing it home? I don't like using pails, it's much easier for solids to separate, where heavier solids would go to the bottom, whereas lighter ones would go to the top.
I mix at 75 degrees, and don't have any of these problems. I usually wait about an hour before the WC. I don't use a pump to mix, just a piece of wood molding, stir by hand. I like the bags, easier to handle, but I still toss it around prior to opening.
I can't believe your getting hair algae from the salt, that doesn't make any sense to me.
I'm I totally wrong? I would rather spend money on livestock.

Mr_Banana_Pants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm I missing something here?
I've been using RC from the beginning, 2 yrs, using R/O, making 40-50 gal batches, using most of 1 bag to mix. Are, or did you buy pails? Did you re-mix the salt after bringing it home? I don't like using pails, it's much easier for solids to separate, where heavier solids would go to the bottom, whereas lighter ones would go to the top.
I mix at 75 degrees, and don't have any of these problems. I usually wait about an hour before the WC. I don't use a pump to mix, just a piece of wood molding, stir by hand. I like the bags, easier to handle, but I still toss it around prior to opening.
I can't believe your getting hair algae from the salt, that doesn't make any sense to me.
I'm I totally wrong? I would rather spend money on livestock.
I'm glad you have had luck with reef crystals. What I was using came from a bag, not a pail. I don't know why but that was the only thing that had changed in my system and I had a sudden outbreak of cyano in one tank and hair algae in the other. Can't think of any other reason for the issues.

Back