Switching to all for reef

fisherc92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently am dosing 1.8 ml of bionic alk from my dosing pump. Adding 2 drops of b ionic calc every other day. Dose 1 drop of red sea Iodine+ and 1 drop trace colors from redsea every other day. Any help on switching over to my all for reef seamlessly?
For example I I safe to purge my dosing line of all my b ionic and add in my all for reef or get a new line or container...
I'm gonna stop dosing the red sea trace elements. Should I stop dosing my alk for a period of time before going to afr? Wait till after a water change? Thanks for your advice

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I switched I just did it immediately. However, I still supplement potassium and iron (I suspect my refugium is a heavy user of potassium).

The key is to figure out how much you will need to dose since it doesn't impact alk immediately. Calcium tests are better for this, but watch your alk everyday for maybe a week or so till you get it figured out

OP
OP
fisherc92

fisherc92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what would you start your dosing at knowing what I dose now and having a 40 gal AIO barebottom with a light to low stock.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what would you start your dosing at knowing what I dose now and having a 40 gal AIO barebottom with a light to low stock.

I prefer calculating it amd adjusting from there. You need to figure out your daily alk and calcium consumption. I did that and used their website to do the math to get a rough estimate how much to use

OP
OP
fisherc92

fisherc92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer calculating it amd adjusting from there. You need to figure out your daily alk and calcium consumption. I did that and used their website to do the math to get a rough estimate how much to use
their website, thanks! i put earlier how much alk and calc i use daily!

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I switched I just did it immediately. However, I still supplement potassium and iron (I suspect my refugium is a heavy user of potassium).

The key is to figure out how much you will need to dose since it doesn't impact alk immediately. Calcium tests are better for this, but watch your alk everyday for maybe a week or so till you get it figured out

Ca tests are notorious for errors and small changes in Ca will be larger changes in Alk from AFR. Unless you have a very accurate Ca test...I'm not sure I would go this direction.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ca tests are notorious for errors and small changes in Ca will be larger changes in Alk from AFR. Unless you have a very accurate Ca test...I'm not sure I would go this direction.

Tropic marin tells you not to test it according to alk. And also thag is why I said test daily for a week to get a better picture as again you don't know how long it takes for the alk to become available

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tropic marin tells you not to test it according to alk. And also thag is why I said test daily for a week to get a better picture as again you don't know how long it takes for the alk to become available

I'm well aware of using AFR and it's limitations. I'm still struggling using it with my GHL to keep my Alk stable.

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their site has a calculator that takes into account alk drop per day?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their site has a calculator that takes into account alk drop per day?

The calculator will give you how many mL it takes to raise the calcium and alkalinity in a tank. Then you just have to do some easy math to apply it to yours

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The calculator will give you how many mL it takes to raise the calcium and alkalinity in a tank. Then you just have to do some easy math to apply it to yours
Ok didn’t notice that. I was just using their opening amount to start with for my gallons. I charted my tank dropping .1 dkh per day a few weeks ago in preparation for it.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.7%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.8%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 97 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back