Switching to Bare Bottom when move tank

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I am considering switching to bare bottom when I move my tank in my living room due to a remodel. My question is, should I slowly remove the sand before the move to "Lighten" the load on the tank, or just remove it all when I move it and put the rock back in without the sand? Would it make a difference?

cblizza2079

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I am considering switching to bare bottom when I move my tank in my living room due to a remodel. My question is, should I slowly remove the sand before the move to "Lighten" the load on the tank, or just remove it all when I move it and put the rock back in without the sand? Would it make a difference?
The rock should have enough bacteria and goodies in it on its own. Probably wouldn’t be a bad idea however to slowly remove some of the sand over time.

just be careful with your sand bed- if it is deep, it’s best to remove it all at once- there could be pockets of hydrogen sulfide in there that you don’t want to release into the water column.

OP
OP
MichaelReefer

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock should have enough bacteria and goodies in it on its own. Probably wouldn’t be a bad idea however to slowly remove some of the sand over time.

just be careful with your sand bed- if it is deep, it’s best to remove it all at once- there could be pockets of hydrogen sulfide in there that you don’t want to release into the water column.

Yeah, if I wasn't moving the tank I would remove a bit every week, however due to me having to move it, I just dont know if its worth doing that or if I should just take it all out when I break the tank down

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would remove it all at once. It's a potential huge nutrient sink that you could release. I would get your rock out carefully to aged and heated saltwater In a brute trash can, then remove all the sand and clean the tank.

OP
OP
MichaelReefer

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would remove it all at once. It's a potential huge nutrient sink that you could release. I would get your rock out carefully to aged and heated saltwater In a brute trash can, then remove all the sand and clean the tank.

Yeah, I was going to drain the tank water into brutes with heaters. They will only be in the containers for 24 hours max. Then I have some people coming over to help me move the tank the next morning.

Schumanistan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I was going to drain the tank water into brutes with heaters. They will only be in the containers for 24 hours max. Then I have some people coming over to help me move the tank the next morning.
did you end up removing all the sand and going BB? if so how was it, do you like it better or no?

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 159 62.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 26.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 89 34.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.2%
Back