Switching to FM zeo lightsystem

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
A

AB_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No3 - 5 ppm
Ca - 450
Alk - 8.2
Mg - 1275
Po4 - 0.01 ( Hannah ULR checker)
other parameter I am not monitoring for the time being..

so should I stop dosing any kind of bacteria product? what about ultra bak?

Fauna Marin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pH plays an important role in algae and diatom development. Low pH or large pH swings can cause diatom blooms also. Can you please test for this?

Stop dosing MB7.
Ultra Bak is okay to continue.

OP
OP
A

AB_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi,
I am starting to lose tissue from the tips of some of my SPS.. I am still dosing 50% of recommended dosages for RV and CB.
All parameters are seem ok as well.
Alk - 7.3 doh
Cal - 440 ppm
NO3 - 2 ppm
PO4 - .03 ppm

should I start dosing CB / RV only once every week instead of twice like I am doing now ?

20170928_181447.jpg

20170928_181754.jpg

OP
OP
A

AB_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Fauna Marin .. the green acro colony is dead.. It had been in my tank for more than a year and really don't want to lose any more corals.. any guidance on what could be causing this and corrective actions would be highly appreciated...

OP
OP
A

AB_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
came back home from work to this..
another dead acro colony.. just rtnd overnight..
At this point I am really starting to regret my decision of switching to this program..
20171003_183858.jpg

OP
OP
A

AB_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Fauna Marin

Nothing ???
It shouldn't be taking a week for you to reply to a simple query. I have lost several large sps colonies since I started your zeo lith regime and continue losing more corals everday.. I was hoping to get some insight or solution from your side but clearly you could be less concerned.

Should have just been smarter and followed zeovit system instead..

Fauna Marin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI

I am so sorry that i did not see the message here. The Reason for your issue cause to a wrong relationship between nutrients and Alkalinity. With such low levels you should not go over Alk of 7 dkH- Can you tell me what you dose actually and which kind f salt you use
a Situation like that can be caused due to much Zoelith and to fast flow trough reactors, to much carbon and or less Iodine dosing. I should have bit more information to help you put
rgds claude

OP
OP
A

AB_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Claude

My Alk has been stable at 7.3 for around last month.. I can bring it down further to 7.
Cal - 440
Nitrate - 1-2 ppm
Po4 - .03
My Tank and sump volume is approx 500 l.
I use instant ocean reef crystals.
the flow in the zeo and carbon reactor is less than 200 liter/hr.
I was dosing 1/2 capsule of RV and 2 spoon of CB twice a week on separate days. along with this I am dosing around 2.5 - 3 ml of CE on same day as CB. and 0.5 ml of ultra min s 3 times a week.
since last 1 week I am only dosing CB and RV once a week.
apart from this I am dosing acro power and reefroids 2 times a week.

My lighting is ATI t5 sunpower and I have 1 maxpect gyre 250 and 2 jebao rw20 for flow.

Also I have turned off my skimmer for the last few days in hope of leaving the nutrient in the system.. I don't think it's making much of a difference though..

OP
OP
A

AB_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just re checked the flow rates and the zeo reactor was around 500l per hour.. I have now reduced it to around 150l per hour.. could this kind of flow rate have been the cause of all my trouble??

Fauna Marin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
500 lph was too much for what you have in the reactor. Excess flow can certainly stress coral due to the rapid filtration effect. Please make sure the flow remains around 150lph and continue with your current dosages.

OP
OP
A

AB_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Claude @Fauna Marin
Finally I am starting to see positive effects on my coral in terms of coloration and growth..
The only issue which I am having now is with the explosive growth of cyno on the sandbed and hair and bubble algae on rockwork..
The sandbed in particular is starting to turn into a real eye sore.. what do u suggest ??

20171023_205216.jpg

Fauna Marin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you please provide a current status of your tank?
- Lighting duration?
- Parameters, including avg. temperature?
- Temperature lows and highs?
- Current dosages?
- Date of next PO4 media replacement?
- Skimmer running 24/7? Skimming wet or dry?

Cyano grows for many reasons, we need to consider these factors in order help find the cause. Bubble algae is likely being fueled by PO4 deposits in the sand and rock. A PO4 Heat Test will help you determine the approximate amount of PO4 deposits in the tank.

OP
OP
A

AB_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- Lighting duration? -- ATI t5 for 9 hours and Reefbrite Led for 10 hours.
- Parameters, including avg. temperature? ---- Alk stable at 7.3 DKH, Cal 440, MG 1280-1300, PO4-.001-.003, nitrate between 5-10 ppm.
- Temperature lows and highs?- avg 80. chiller kicks in at 81 but mostly very stable between 80-81.
- Current dosages? -- RV - 1/2 capsule 2 times a week. CB - 2 spoon 2 times a week, CE- 3 ml / 2 times a week and Ultra min s 1 ml /3 times a week.
- Date of next PO4 media replacement? -- I removed GFO a few months before switching to FM as my tank always showed 0 phosphate. Not using any GFO or other PO4 removing media right now due to the low readings.
- Skimmer running 24/7? Skimming wet or dry? -- dry skimming for 14 hours a day when the lights are off.

Honestly i am not too concerned about the bubble and hair algae but more about the cyano as that is making the tank look really an eye sore..
Also the glass gets dirty almost within half a day of cleaning.. brown film on it not green or white.

OP
OP
A

AB_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Claude @Fauna Marin ..
What do you think I should do ??

Is chemi clean a safe option to be used along with your system ?

Fauna Marin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank temperature is running on the warmer side of the accepted range. Cyano has an easier time growing in these kind of conditions. I would slowly decrease your temp to 77°F over the course of 2-3 weeks. While you're doing that, also let the skimmer run 24/7 to improve filtration. With each water change, siphon out the largest patches of cyano and then vacuum your sand, especially in areas closest to the live rock. Do also check the TDS coming from your RO/DI.

Do the above for 1-2 weeks. If you notice the cyano growth continue, decrease your photo period to 6 hours and continue with vacuuming the sand.

OP
OP
A

AB_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Fauna Marin.. I Reduced the temp to 77-78 range. But still not effecting the cyno growth..
The only hope I have now I probably using something like chemi clean and hope it works.. so my question is. Is it safe to use along with your zeolight program. Offcourse I will be taking carbon off during the treatment period.

Fauna Marin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While you're doing that, also let the skimmer run 24/7 to improve filtration. With each water change, siphon out the largest patches of cyano and then vacuum your sand, especially in areas closest to the live rock. Do also check the TDS coming from your RO/DI.

Do the above for 1-2 weeks. If you notice the cyano growth continue, decrease your photo period to 6 hours and continue with vacuuming the sand.

Have you also done all of the above?

OP
OP
A

AB_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you also done all of the above?
Except reducing the photo period tried everything as per suggestion..
Skimmer is on 24/7
Stir up the sandbed every 2-3 days (and before water change) to clean up the gunk via filter socks and skimmer.. corals seem to enjoy it as well.
Temp also reduced to 77-78..

Also noticed that there are these tiny bubbles trapped all over sand and live rock.. not sure if that is of any significance..

Fauna Marin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you notice the cyano growth continue, decrease your photo period to 6 hours and continue with vacuuming the sand.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back