Switching to kessil. Need advice please.

Robb1821i

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm switching from and ai prime hd to a kessil 360x soon. What's the safest way to do it? I don't have a par meter.

Kessil

Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AI Prime HDs put out 55W at 100% intensity. An A360X puts out 90W at 100% intensity.

A rough comparison would be to run the A360X at about 60% of your AI Prime settings just to start.

E.G - if you ran your AI Prime at 100% intensity for 8 hours, run your A360X at 60% intensity for 8 hours, just to start.

As always, watch how your coral respond and adjust accordingly. I'd also suggest running an acclimation mode for a week or so when you get it set up. Send us an email or give us a call if you want us to walk you through it when you get it set up!

OP
OP
R

Robb1821i

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, what is your initial impression of the differences between that and the AI? (I own too many AI's and have often contemplated trying a Kessil, but still have yet to do so).
The AI prime is doing ok but it's pretty much maxed out on the spectrum I like at least. Also I don't like the disco ball effect I get. Kessil isn't the cheapest option but it looks very good, like realistic.

TriggersAmuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The AI prime is doing ok but it's pretty much maxed out on the spectrum I like at least. Also I don't like the disco ball effect I get. Kessil isn't the cheapest option but it looks very good, like realistic.

If I'm not mistaken, you are going to have less PAR at that "bluish" spectral setting with the Kessil due to its spreading. Very even PAR, but lower intensity? I'm going by all of the BRSTV videos.

Kessil

Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I'm not mistaken, you are going to have less PAR at that "bluish" spectral setting with the Kessil due to its spreading. Very even PAR, but lower intensity? I'm going by all of the BRSTV videos.
PAR is a very difficult number to compare between brands as it measure the wavelengths as a weighted measure - 1 photon of green light will record more PAR than 1 photon of blue light. (We took one of our all green light fixtures and measured 500 PAR - even though it has absolutely NO wavelengths that would grow coral. It's a bit of an exaggeration but points out how rough PAR as a whole is)

PAR is a good measurement for understanding how your light moves within the tank, but it starts to get less reliable as you compare between brands as the spectral makeup of each light is different.

The A360X will spread wider than most lights on the market as the native beam angle is about 120 degrees. If you want a more focused light, you can use the narrow reflector which cuts it down to 55 degrees for more center intensity.

OP
OP
R

Robb1821i

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PAR is a very difficult number to compare between brands as it measure the wavelengths as a weighted measure - 1 photon of green light will record more PAR than 1 photon of blue light. (We took one of our all green light fixtures and measured 500 PAR - even though it has absolutely NO wavelengths that would grow coral. It's a bit of an exaggeration but points out how rough PAR as a whole is)

PAR is a good measurement for understanding how your light moves within the tank, but it starts to get less reliable as you compare between brands as the spectral makeup of each light is different.

The A360X will spread wider than most lights on the market as the native beam angle is about 120 degrees. If you want a more focused light, you can use the narrow reflector which cuts it down to 55 degrees for more center intensity.
I have a 20 gal peninsula. Really wosh they made a reflector for that shape. Was actually considering modifying a reflector for it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back