Switching to TM balling method

Yanir34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, my SPS system is running now with Red Sea 3 parts dosing (Alk, Cal, Mag) and TM trace elements.
I'm thinking about moving to TM balling method due to accumulation of Sodium and Chloride (confirmed with ICP test's).
my Alk consumption today is 0.7 to 0.9 dkh , daily .
I have 500 liters SPS tank that plumb together with 120 liters LPS tank to same sump of 200 liters .
total volume of my system is 820 liters.
today I'm dosing 75 ml of Red Sea part A (Alk) , 25 ml of part B (Cal) and 10 ml of part C (Mag) .

I've been reading in Tropic Marin Official site that 50 ml of each solution of their balling method will increace Dkh at 1.4 , and 10 ppm of Cal in 100 liters of tank water.

Quick math calculation gave me results that I should dose 200 ml daily of each TM balling solution , to maintain correct levels of Alk and Cal . the Magnesium will added speretlay with BioMagnesium additive of TM.
what is your opinion about that ?
Should I dose equal amount of every Part in this method , daily ?
Thank for your reply

Last edited:

Clarkjw2002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, dose equal parts of each component--that's the point of balling. Use a dose and split up the dose throughout the day--that's what I did. In your case, 8.3ml/hr would be a good start. Just make sure all three doses heads are calibrated and delivering accurately.

My Ca used to drift lower than I liked (around 400) but that was where my tank wanted to be. After a while I stopped measuring everything and used weekly alk tests to adjust doses. I just made sure my water change water always had 450ppm Ca and 1450 Mg. Was doing roughly 10% changes weekly automated on hourly increments as well.

A tip on the Alk: I always mixed a few weeks before needed because it took time to fully dissolve. I'd shake daily. There are two size scoops out there that come with the components. The smaller scoop mix will dissolve in a day or two but the larger scoop takes a while. Larger scoop is blue, smaller is clear. I used to think the clear scoop was a change but then a year or so later the blue scoops showed back up. Despite the size, it didn't seem to affect my tank any. I just adjusted doses based on the tank measurements.

BOWHUNTER4250

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, dose equal parts of each component--that's the point of balling. Use a dose and split up the dose throughout the day--that's what I did. In your case, 8.3ml/hr would be a good start. Just make sure all three doses heads are calibrated and delivering accurately.

My Ca used to drift lower than I liked (around 400) but that was where my tank wanted to be. After a while I stopped measuring everything and used weekly alk tests to adjust doses. I just made sure my water change water always had 450ppm Ca and 1450 Mg. Was doing roughly 10% changes weekly automated on hourly increments as well.

A tip on the Alk: I always mixed a few weeks before needed because it took time to fully dissolve. I'd shake daily. There are two size scoops out there that come with the components. The smaller scoop mix will dissolve in a day or two but the larger scoop takes a while. Larger scoop is blue, smaller is clear. I used to think the clear scoop was a change but then a year or so later the blue scoops showed back up. Despite the size, it didn't seem to affect my tank any. I just adjusted doses based on the tank measurements.
CORRECTION : You do NOT add equal amounts of all 3 components ....... the lower amount of "A" or "B" ( generally the Calcium ) "A" you add the same amount of " C " ( balance )

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CORRECTION : You do NOT add equal amounts of all 3 components ....... the lower amount of "A" or "B" ( generally the Calcium ) "A" you add the same amount of " C " ( balance )

Well, it is an opinion that is not supported by simple facts that Part C should match the lower of the two parts. It would be just as chemically useful to match he higher one, or split the difference (that's what I would do).

There is no perfect answer when not dosing Parts A and B the same (which should be the default starting point and only adjust from there if matching the alk demand, calcium rises or falls excessively).

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, all you need to get from TM is the Part C. The alk and calcium parts are easy diy.
So Randy if I ever attempt to do DIY for TM part B, is it 50% sodium carbonate and 50% sodium bicarbonate?
1690227617823.jpeg

Or is that PartB description just so they can provide one or the other!!!!
Bit lost with all the different versions of part B.

Thank you in advance.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Randy if I ever attempt to do DIY for TM part B, is it 50% sodium carbonate and 50% sodium bicarbonate?

I would not assume that TM part B is 50/50, and there's no real reason you cannot use any of bicarbonate or carbonate or hydroxide. The only difference is the pH effect, assuming you appropriately dissolve them.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back