SWW's 75g SPS REEF TANK BUILD

Saltwaterwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone this is SaltwaterWill. I don't think I properly introduced myself but will do here on my first build thread. My name is Will and I started this awesome saltwater hobby November 2014. I started with a 75 gallon FOWLR then after 6 months or so I downgraded to my current 30g reef making it a temporary idea in order to make a 150+ gallon upgrade easier. I was getting quotes all over the place But then my wife said..."why don't you just get two instead" (love her :D) So things changed and since then I started looking and loving cube styled tanks. These were perfect...I figure I keep both tanks on the same thread in order to keep up with posting here and videos I'll be also uploading on my youtube channel (Saltwater will)
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC7qDH7kRdNkJ7rg0pjRk5dQ

One more thing before I begin...I want to thank reef2reef and other fellow hobbyists for all the useful knowledge that is provided here and other sources. I also want to say this build is inspired by build threads and videos of many dedicated reefers here and elsewhere which would be infinite to name and count. All has and will be learned from you guys so... thank you.
I am still a beginner so please do not hesitate to chime in. I am very open to suggestions. Any questions ask away, I'm also here to help everyone.
...anyway enough rambling on...here goes some pics, the tanks specs and future plans. Anything may be subject to change.

75g SPS Dominated

Display:
75 gallon Sc Aquariums rimless
36L" x 24W" x 20H"...1/2" starphire glass on left, right and center panels. Center overflow drilled on bottom of tank with three holes for 1" bulkheads.

Stand: Custom open stand made out of 80/20 t-slot aluminum smooth black finish.
1515 & 1530 framing 36L" x 24W" x 41H"

Circulation: Jebao rw8 (x2). I have these already and work good but might just splurge on two mp40 qd's. Return pump unknown but will have to be DC.

Lighting: Ati powermodule hybrid. Not sure what size and combo yet.

Controller: Apex

Skimmer: Unknown

Calcium Reactor: Unknown

Sump: I narrowed it down to a semi custom from building an obsession or synergy reef. Ato container will be from either or as well.

Substrate and rock: Bare bottom...after having fine sand aragonite blowing everywhere I got turned off and this ones gonna have massive water movement. A man-made branching pillar rock.

Livestock: My current fish (two clownfish, one bi-color Angel, and I will add at least two more small fish. SPS dominated.

75g Display

IMG_1272.JPG

IMG_1286.JPG

IMG_1275.jpg

Current fish

IMG_1074.JPG

IMG_1073.JPG

IMG_1014.PNG

50g Seahorse

Display: 50 gallon Sc Aquariums rimless
24L x 24W x 20H...3/8" starphire glass on left, right and center panels. Center overflow drilled on bottom of tank with three holes for 1" bulkheads.

Stand: Custom open stand made out of 80/20 t-slot aluminum smooth black finish.
1515 & 1530 framing 36L" x 24W" x 41H"

Circulation: Unknown but return pump will have to be DC. I'm wondering if I could get by with strong flow from the return pump to not need a powerhead? I do not want to risk seahorses getting hurt from a powerhead.

Lighting: Use current Kessil A360we

Controller: Apex

Skimmer: Unknown

Sump: I narrowed it down to either a semi custom from building an obsession or synergy reef. Ato container will be from either or as well.

Substrate and rock: Barebottom with half live pukani rock and half purple tonga branch.

Livestock: 2 pairs of Erectus captive bred seahorse which I am still doing research, a pair of unknown pipefish, a mandarin goby and my current bengaii Cardinal fish. Also, very few non-stingy soft corals like gorgonians.

Display

IMG_1276.jpg

Kessil A360we

IMG_0110.JPG

IMG_0678.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Saltwaterwill

Saltwaterwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I know this is sudden, but I might have to move.
Going to another state for a few months for my younger sons eye surgery but not sure when. So unfortunately I won't be setting up the seahorse tank. I wouldn't want to move with seahorses and pipefish since they are delicate. It would break my heart if they don't make it. Also I don't have anyone to feed them once or twice a day for three months or more if need be. My older son wasn't too happy with this decision either but I made him feel better with a huge Lego set today [emoji3]. But the SPS reef is going strong and I told my son this will be mine AND his tank. He told me ok "If u die I'll take care of it don't worry" lol.

Working on the 80/20 stand right now. Im going for an open stand look and right now I'm In the process of getting all the parts together I need on 80/20's website. It will be T-slot aluminum smooth black. I was thinking of going with 80/20 quick frame but worried about strength so just went all out with the sturdier t-slot aluminum. I was also going to go with regular silver aluminum color but then I started looking at amazing t-slot aluminum stands in black, examples are from @XocyrusX and @mixer911 synergy reef tank build here on reef2reef check them out if you haven't yet, I was inspired by them. As soon as I get the parts I'll post pics. Here's a sloppy sketch and dimension of the reef's stand for now.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1457916599.962526.jpg

XocyrusX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I know this is sudden, but I might have to move.
Going to another state for a few months for my younger sons eye surgery but not sure when. So unfortunately I won't be setting up the seahorse tank. I wouldn't want to move with seahorses and pipefish since they are delicate. It would break my heart if they don't make it. Also I don't have anyone to feed them once or twice a day for three months or more if need be. My older son wasn't too happy with this decision either but I made him feel better with a huge Lego set today [emoji3]. But the SPS reef is going strong and I told my son this will be mine AND his tank. He told me ok "If u die I'll take care of it don't worry" lol.

Working on the 80/20 stand right now. Im going for an open stand look and right now I'm In the process of getting all the parts together I need on 80/20's website. It will be T-slot aluminum smooth black. I was thinking of going with 80/20 quick frame but worried about strength so just went all out with the sturdier t-slot aluminum. I was also going to go with regular silver aluminum color but then I started looking at amazing t-slot aluminum stands in black, examples are from @XocyrusX and @mixer911 synergy reef tank build here on reef2reef check them out if you haven't yet, I was inspired by them. As soon as I get the parts I'll post pics. Here's a sloppy sketch and dimension of the reef's stand for now.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1457916599.962526.jpg

Lookin good... Thanks for the shoutout. You will not be disappointed with 80/20. Smart choice on the t-slot. I went with the smooth and has a great look. I know I owe an update and you inspired me my friend. Smart move going through the website. Their shipping is legit expensive but you will understand when it arrives. As always any help please let me know.

BTW all the best to your son. I myself have had eye surgeries due to my keratoconus and they can be tough. Will be praying for him.

Keep up the good work...

OP
OP
Saltwaterwill

Saltwaterwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lookin good... Thanks for the shoutout. You will not be disappointed with 80/20. Smart choice on the t-slot. I went with the smooth and has a great look. I know I owe an update and you inspired me my friend. Smart move going through the website. Their shipping is legit expensive but you will understand when it arrives. As always any help please let me know.

BTW all the best to your son. I myself have had eye surgeries due to my keratoconus and they can be tough. Will be praying for him.

Keep up the good work...
Thank you very much, much appreciated.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Following!

OP
OP
Saltwaterwill

Saltwaterwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright I got the 80/20 stand started, here are some pics...ENJOY

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1461144736.003156.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1461144764.751117.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1461144780.423430.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1461144805.703072.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1461144830.165366.jpg

Bottom of stand:

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1461144921.711722.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1461145008.655833.jpg

That's it for now, going to get back at it as soon as I squeeze in some spare time.[emoji3]

OP
OP
Saltwaterwill

Saltwaterwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skeleton done

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1462321967.046774.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1462321978.513446.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1462321990.786527.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1462322006.344503.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1462322019.667651.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1462322031.290194.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1462322044.864124.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1462322060.871472.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1462322071.977152.jpg

Next is the black expanded pvc panels for top and bottom, I'm still trying to decide if I should install a panel for entire back of the stand.

XocyrusX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lookin' good @Saltwaterwill. Isn't fun putting it together? To the back panel thought I did on mine on the inside of the stand. I'm glad I did as the exposed rails on the back I used for my lights and attaching power cords.

Keep up the good work and keep the pics coming

OP
OP
Saltwaterwill

Saltwaterwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lookin' good @Saltwaterwill. Isn't fun putting it together? To the back panel thought I did on mine on the inside of the stand. I'm glad I did as the exposed rails on the back I used for my lights and attaching power cords.

Keep up the good work and keep the pics coming
Yes it is, I'm leaning more towards no back panel because I love the totally open look but who knows. Thanks, can't wait to get the tank on top of it, been working so much lately little time for reefing.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 28 18.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 103 66.9%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.2%
Back