syncra sdc 9.0 doesn't auto turn on when power went out

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Hello All,

as the subject to this thread. I am having an issue. we just got 10 of these pumps

syncra sdc 9.0 and it doesn't auto turn on when power goes out.

the power tends to flicker alot where we live and everytime this happens the pumps literally do not turn on. They have to be Manually restarted and we even have to unplug them and replug them in when the power goes out. This can cause a huge issue if this happens overnight or when we are away from the shop.

Is there a fix for this so they auto turn back on when the power goes back on? every other return pump we ever used does this....

Jedi Knghit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had any issues with my sdc 7. Do you just turn the pumps on or do you have a program running? Mine is running a program, 60% power 24/7.

CEReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

as the subject to this thread. I am having an issue. we just got 10 of these pumps

the power tends to flicker alot where we live and everytime this happens the pumps literally do not turn on. They have to be Manually restarted and we even have to unplug them and replug them in when the power goes out. This can cause a huge issue if this happens overnight or when we are away from the shop.

Is there a fix for this so they auto turn back on when the power goes back on? every other return pump we ever used does this....
Get a UPS, even a small one (60$ on amazon) just enough to stabilize the power to the pump, you will fry it otherwise

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

Did you get this issue resolved?
Appears to be a common issue.

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Not yet it has happened a few times. Where else did you read of this issue ?

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue is, loss of your internet which does not come on before the pump goes looking for the connection.. At least that is what I figured out when it happened to mine.. It does not ALWAYS happen.. The flicker effect is the problem.. Full power outs for say 1 minute or more and it doesn't happen.. Flicker.. and it does.. Or multiple 5 second outages in a row. A few fried squirrels can be devastating..

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not yet it has happened a few times. Where else did you read of this issue ?
Shane, is/was the pump a new install? I've seen a few folks struggle with a new install.

Once you get it running and get the setting saved (with the little red padlock symbol in top right) the instructions should be saved to the device. If not, the device is attempting a WiFi reconnect which always has issues. Like APEX often does.

After a power out, you may have to turn off the pump, then cycle the router, then give it a minute to boot, then turn the pump back on. Regardless, the pump does not need a WIFI connection to restart at saved speed once it is saved.

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
the issue has not happened again and i hope it doesn't happen again

jessezm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reviving this thread, apologies! I run three of these pumps as my main returns (two on one tank and one on another). They are incredible pumps and have been in constant operation from my basement to main floor for over 5 years. But I still deal with the same issue Shane described above - flickering power causes them to require manual restart - like literally unplugging and plugging them back in. Like he said, this can be catastrophic. I am thinking about replacing all three with one Abyzz a200. But has anyone figured out a reason and a fix for this? With all of the heat this summer, power has been flickering alot. I am literally afraid to leave the house! BTW, I don't use wifi with these - just the manual controller.

R Deckard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reviving this thread, apologies! I run three of these pumps as my main returns (two on one tank and one on another). They are incredible pumps and have been in constant operation from my basement to main floor for over 5 years. But I still deal with the same issue Shane described above - flickering power causes them to require manual restart - like literally unplugging and plugging them back in. Like he said, this can be catastrophic. I am thinking about replacing all three with one Abyzz a200. But has anyone figured out a reason and a fix for this? With all of the heat this summer, power has been flickering alot. I am literally afraid to leave the house! BTW, I don't use wifi with these - just the manual controller.
This pump is VERY quiet but I have the same issue. Flickering lights in my house mean my Sicce Syncra SDC 6.0 will send me a notification that my pump has been disconnected. If I make it to the pump in time, I will observe the failure. The pump will not be running and all the lights on the controller will be flashing in unison. Then, in a short amount of time, the lights on the controller just turn off! Like it is giving up! And all you have to do it unplug the thing and plug it back in and its fixed! Pump starts to run at it's last set speed, lights all flash in unison for a bit, it connects to wifi router, and the lights on the controller return to showing the status of the pump. If the power outage is not this flicker but a true lights turn off and back on in a second, the pump auto restarts and reconnects fine.
I spend some time communicating back and forth with Sicce ([email protected]) about this issue. They suggested a "violent power surge" was causing the power supply to go into safety mode and shut down the pump. But why would the lights still be flashing? Also, everything else in the house seemed to survive the so called "violent surge". Then they blamed my wifi router. But why was every other smart device in my house able to reconnect? Besides, poster jessezm doesn't even run his through wifi. Then they said if it was in feed mode when the power fluctuated then that might cause the failure. Huh? Anyway, according them, there was nothing wrong with their pump it must my power or my wifi or my settings or my anything else. When I asked about warranty, I was surprised and disapointed they did not offer me a replacement to see if that would resolve the issue. Mostly disapointed.
However, I have some solutions. One, use a battery backup. Two, buy a wifi smartplug so you can cycle the power if you are not at home to do the unplug and plug back in fix. Three, you can try plugging the pump directly to the power supply thus removing the controller from the circuit. The pump will run at its last set speed but obviously won't be controllable. If the pump does not auto restart after a flicker, then you can assume this pump and power supply have a relatively sensitive surge protection feature that is causing the failure. Four, use a different pump. I went back to my Sicce Syncra Silent 4.0. I use the SDC for doing very quiet water changes.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back