Synergy Reef Shadow Overflow

m3rcfh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys

This week I noticed some saltcreek on the bottom frame at the back wall of my tank, and first though the seams were giving, but it's actually the Shadow Overflow leaking through the bulkhead.

Today I pulled water out of the tank, removed the inside box of the overflow and the 4 gaskets (two between the inside box and tank, and two between the outside box and tank). Cleaned everything thoroughly, and put it all back in. Now the leak got much worse.. instead of a drip every hour or so, it's dripping every second. Tried playing around with the gaskets, nothing. Still leaking pretty bad.

Is it possible that the gaskets are bad? The overflow is about 1.5 years old. What is a possible fix?

Art2249

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys

This week I noticed some saltcreek on the bottom frame at the back wall of my tank, and first though the seams were giving, but it's actually the Shadow Overflow leaking through the bulkhead.

Today I pulled water out of the tank, removed the inside box of the overflow and the 4 gaskets (two between the inside box and tank, and two between the outside box and tank). Cleaned everything thoroughly, and put it all back in. Now the leak got much worse.. instead of a drip every hour or so, it's dripping every second. Tried playing around with the gaskets, nothing. Still leaking pretty bad.

Is it possible that the gaskets are bad? The overflow is about 1.5 years old. What is a possible fix?
You can take a screwdriver and place it on the groove of the tightening nut and LIGHTLY tap it until it tightens enough to stop leaking. I don't know how thick your glass is but be careful

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also smear some silicone grease (not the sealer) on both sides of each gasket in hopes it will let you tighten it a bit more. Since it not a high pressure area the grease might seal the leak. As a last resort you can use clear aquarium silicone sealer on the gaskets. Not the best solution but should work without you having to get fresh gaskets.

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys

What was the outcome of this? I am experiencing the same thing, just put mine up a week ago? could it be over-tightening of the bulkheads?

Back