Synergy Shadow Overflow Poll

Are you happy with your Synergy Shadow Overflow?

• Total voters

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m having Custom Aquariums build my 72x28x30 tank.

Trying to make a decision on overflow.

Looking for feedback from people who purchased and used the Synergy Shadow overflow.

Please don’t vote if you haven’t used this overflow.

Thank you!

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like these over flows I have 2 . A little tricky ( The heights of stand pipes ) to get setup right but once done, they can handle a "lot" of water & creepy quiet .

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same experience as @justingraham

In terms of the weir, I had a shrimp goby make it to my basement sump with the shadow overflow! I don’t know how he did but I guess if there’s a will.... so far, no such experience with my Exotic Marine. Occasional snail but no fish yet have made it through.

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any issue with the Exotic Marine having no teeth on the weir and small fish like Mandarins or other small creatures getting sucked in?

I wasn’t sure about the “toothless” design but I think it allows for quieter and better water flow...
I’m digging it so far.

ED4AF7FF-B702-4C96-A7FF-03CD0B83D417.jpeg

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a pretty large backlog because of traveling for work, but I am back home full time, so I am caught up and my lead time is back down to a week or less.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shadow is the worst purchase I have made in 25 years of reefkeeping.

Synergy reef is the worst company I have dealt with in 50 years of living.

Go with EMS like I did to replace my shadow, you wont be sorry.

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shadow is the worst purchase I have made in 25 years of reefkeeping.

Synergy reef is the worst company I have dealt with in 50 years of living.

Go with EMS like I did to replace my shadow, you wont be sorry.

Yeah, there are far too many people complaining about the Synergy Shadow so I steered clear.

On the other hand, I have found zero complaints from Modular Marine customers.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t receive any response from Exotic Marine on the last email I sent so I went with Modular Marine.

I finalized the design and he’s in the process of building.

Never used a synergy, but my big tank uses a modular marine and I have been very happy with it.

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, there are far too many people complaining about the Synergy Shadow so I steered clear.

On the other hand, I have found zero complaints from Modular Marine customers.

I read way too many horror stories with the shadow so I went with modular marine for my new tank. It was just delivered today and I can't wait to get this tank set up and cycling.

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t receive any response from Exotic Marine on the last email I sent so I went with Modular Marine.

I finalized the design and he’s in the process of building.

Sorry about that. I have been so out of pocket traveling between Houston and Miami, that every waking minute I was home with my family I was building overflows, then leaving giant piles of messes for my wife to clean up when I jumped back on an airplane. My goal is to have my time to ship down to 4 days by the end of next week.

Higher Thinking

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m having Custom Aquariums build my 72x28x30 tank.

Trying to make a decision on overflow.

Looking for feedback from people who purchased and used the Synergy Shadow overflow.

Please don’t vote if you haven’t used this overflow.

Thank you!
My tank is currently being built by Custom Aquariums and they told me they wouldn't drill for the MM overflow. I originally requested that one. I defaulted to the Synergy so hopefully that all works out. I'll be running dual 16" units.

I suppose technically I could have just told Custom Aquarium where to drill the holes and went ahead and gone with Modular Marine, but I decided against doing that. Besides, my LFS is getting me the Synergy overflows on the cheap.

What size tank did you go with?

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is currently being built by Custom Aquariums and they told me they wouldn't drill for the MM overflow. I originally requested that one. I defaulted to the Synergy so hopefully that all works out. I'll be running dual 16" units.

I suppose technically I could have just told Custom Aquarium where to drill the holes and went ahead and gone with Modular Marine, but I decided against doing that. Besides, my LFS is getting me the Synergy overflows on the cheap.

What size tank did you go with?

If your tank builder refuses to build the tank the way you want it you should have found a different tank builder.

JMM744

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have 3 systems running the reef synergy overflow. All are the 16” model. The 70 and 120 reefs run dead silent. The 180 is noisy but I have not put the effort into getting it dialed in. I have no experience with any other brand. By the way, the company did respond to questions on the 180 overflow but as stated , I just have not put the effort into getting it quieted.

Higher Thinking

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank builder refuses to build the tank the way you want it you should have found a different tank builder.
Not to derail the thread, but since it does pertain to the OP's tank builder, I'll add one more thing. Regarding your comment, in this case Custom Aquarium had multiple issues with MM overflows not working correctly so they discontinued drilling for them. As I said, I could likely have just told Custom Aquarium to drill right where I needed the holes for MM, but when I provided the MM template they said what they did.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 34 30.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 40 35.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back