SYoung's IM100 EXT Build Thread

Syoung

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 15, 2017
Messages
114
Reaction score
53
Location
California
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey reefers, after a long (6+ year) break I'm finally ready to get back into the hobby. Previously I ran an IM 25G Lagoon built into an entertainment center, and had a blast. I did run into issues with the lack of water volume and accessibility, so I'm hoping to fix both in this build.

Delivery from IM



Build:
- IM100 EXT
- IM APS Stand
- Sump: RFS-39 - Potentially modified

Filtration:
- Skimmer: Akula UKS-160
- Reefmat 500
- Very interested in using a roller mat rather than filter socks, but I need to modify the RFS-39 sump
- Refugium (TBD light)
- Lifeguard 25W UV

Control:
- Apex A3

Lighting:
- (2) AI Hydra 32HD

Flow:
- MP40
- Dual Sicce Syncra SDC 6.0 return pumps
- (Tentative) AI Orbit 4 Gyre Pump

Hoping to get some feedback before I make too many mistakes! Especially as I try to modify the sump for the Reefmat.

20260903_113742.jpg
20260903_202922.jpg
 
Welcome back from hiatus, and good luck with your build!
 
But most importantly, I had to set up a water change station to support ~150 gallons of total water volume.

Here's the station I just finished:
20260907_120252.jpg


It's dual 32 gallon containers, the left is freshwater fed from the RODI unit and the right is saltwater. Unfortunately I made a mistake and didn't include a valve to the saltwater return. I'll fix that next week!

The plan is to use this station to pump saltwater ~50' to where the tank is. Hopefully with a Sicce Syncra SDC 6.0 it'll be powerful enough.

RODI Water
Saltwater Mixing


20260906_200142.jpg
 
First question:

Has anyone run into the impeller area of the Sicce Syncra SDC 6.0 leaking? It's very slow, but haven't been able to solve it. I've confirmed the O-Rings are in place.

20260907_105152.jpg
 
Following along!
 
Made some progress this weekend.

1) Drilled out and installed a ball valve on the saltwater return for the water change setup. Now I'm able to fully control where water flows and how quickly.

2) Moved the tank into position with some friends. Not too heavy! We had 3 total but could've done it with just two of us. It's looking pretty great. It's tall with the APS leveling stand, but not too bad. One of the cats has been very curious 👀.

20260913_193732.jpg


3) Modified the sump to accept the Reefmat 500 roller mat. I didn't want to have to change and wash socks repeatedly so I committed to modifying. I think it went well, but won't know until I start flowing water.

I made a separate post to document the modifications here.
20260913_193747.jpg



Lots of progress! Still planning to modify the return to have a redundant return sending water back to the display through a Lifeguard 25W UV sterilizer. Not sure how exactly I'll do that yet, but it's progress.

Used Neptune A3 comes on Tuesday. There really isn't much room in the stand with this sump, so I'm currently unsure how I'll wire or fit an ATO reservoir. No room available outside the stand.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 30.0%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new