T-Slot Rail Stand Designs

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I need some help making an aluminum extrusion stand for my tank. Tank dimensions are 36” long x 21 7/8 width and 20” high. The glass is 1/2” thick. I would love to have the front open so I can be able to work with the sump and everything. I would love to have extra space on the stand on the back so I can drill holes to the panel that the tank will be seating on and bring pipes to the sump.

Can you guys please help telling everything I need to buy? I’ll be able to purchase everything from Amazon since I have Prime.
I don’t know if I’m making sense but your help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I’m thinking in hanging the lights with extrusions too.
Try something like this, see attached. On a short tank like yours, you will need only one side. 30mm is more than adequate for this length. You can get cheaper smaller profile but then you will have sway and bounce.

84x18x18 Custom External Overflow Tank on stand with light mount 5.jpg
84x18x18 Custom External Overflow Tank on stand with light mount 3 (1).jpg
84x18x18 Custom External Overflow Tank on stand with light mount 2 (1).jpg
84x18x18 Custom External Overflow Tank on stand with light mount 4 (1).jpg

Attachments

• 84x18x18 Custom External Overflow Tank on stand with light mount 1 (1).jpg
    84x18x18 Custom External Overflow Tank on stand with light mount 1 (1).jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 14

topjimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try something like this, see attached. On a short tank like yours, you will need only one side. 30mm is more than adequate for this length. You can get cheaper smaller profile but then you will have sway and bounce.

84x18x18 Custom External Overflow Tank on stand with light mount 5.jpg
84x18x18 Custom External Overflow Tank on stand with light mount 3 (1).jpg
84x18x18 Custom External Overflow Tank on stand with light mount 2 (1).jpg
84x18x18 Custom External Overflow Tank on stand with light mount 4 (1).jpg
That's super slick. Im considering something like that to hang three kessils, and maybe a couple of orphek type bars. Currently using the t5 kessil hybrid.

My stand is already made of 80/20 45 series. Do you think I could attach something like that light hanger right to the back extrusion?

Last edited:

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If any of y’all plan to build your stand or other T-slot related projects, LMK I’ll help you out:)
I have the 3D CAD models and I can help you design and layout out so you know exactly what to order and how much you’re going to spend.
I like to use McMaster. Amazon has a dealer too, but with the high shipping rate, comes out the same as McMaster. And they’re a reputable company.

T-slot bracketing related items for printing too. I know someone was asking for a bracket to hold their G5’s. I have the profile so I can easily design :)

I have some time off before my next gig, I’ll try and hook up as many folks as possible. :).

Buck on! Oh wait. Reef on! ;)
Curious, when you build the stands are you able to perform a stress analysis for the weight that they will be holding.

For instance, I use solidworks, and I'm able to input the FEA data for the material used and then be able to see the weak points and build them up.

I recently did thos for a local on a large 600g tank and was able to design a stand that will easily hold the weight.

20240502_183803.jpg

20240502_203808.jpg

I fear that without proper calculations these stands aren't going to be up to the task.

At the very least it will help determine what extruded aluminum profile will be the best choice for cost and strength.

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's super slick. Im considering something like that to hang three kessils, and maybe a couple of orphek type bars. Currently using the t5 kessil hybrid.

My stand is already made of 80/20 45 series. Do you think I could attach something like that light hanger right to the back extrusion?
These light mounts will be ready for purchase in a few days and easily attach to the 45 profile, the wall or to the back of a wood stand.

I have a question for you and anyone else following : how much distance would you like to see between the horizontal light mount and the water surface? This design can be adjusted so what would be the ideal height range assuming lights are mounted to the BOTTOM of the t slot?

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T slot is great for stands and light mounts.
1000000865.jpg

topjimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These light mounts will be ready for purchase in a few days and easily attach to the 45 profile, the wall or to the back of a wood stand.

I have a question for you and anyone else following : how much distance would you like to see between the horizontal light mount and the water surface? This design can be adjusted so what would be the ideal height range assuming lights are mounted to the BOTTOM of the t slot?
I would say most people are about 8 inches above the water.

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your design for the mounts. I feel that most users run their lights at 4"-12" above the tank with 8" probably the most common. That 8" is the light lens, not the mounting bar.

My light mount crossbar sits at 10" above the top of the tank which puts the lenses at 7-3/4" above the lid or 9-1/2" above the water line.

Light_F.jpg

Light_R.jpg

The crossbar behind my tank gives me a lot of available vertical movement in case I go to different lights, a Kessel 360 needs a higher mount than an AI Blade for instance.

100L-Install12.jpg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious, when you build the stands are you able to perform a stress analysis for the weight that they will be holding.

For instance, I use solidworks, and I'm able to input the FEA data for the material used and then be able to see the weak points and build them up.

I recently did thos for a local on a large 600g tank and was able to design a stand that will easily hold the weight.

20240502_183803.jpg

20240502_203808.jpg

I fear that without proper calculations these stands aren't going to be up to the task.

At the very least it will help determine what extruded aluminum profile will be the best choice for cost and strength.

Can you please DM your fee if you’re still up to help people with these CADs? I’m getting a acrylic tank built with dimensions 96x72x30. 1 inch thick all sides. Wanting 30” stand height that holds all my equipment under the tank

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 38 19.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 142 74.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.7%
Back