T5 diffuser

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a shallow 7 inch deep tank in my office and have a 2 bulb T5 about 3 inches over the water. (Sits on legs on the tank) Its too much light for the corals i keep and i dont want to build a whole setup to hang it. Ive been wondering if its possible to attach a diffuser on it and if it would decrease the par much.

I have a blue plus and an actinic, is there maybe another combo that produces less par? Ive been told by a source i trust 2 actinic wont work long term. Can anyone weigh in on that?

Thanks

Use a piece of frosted or tinted acrylic as a lid

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To acclimate corals to my lights or when I change out my t5s or MH,. I will sometimes use egg crate to diffuse. One side helps "aim" the light in, one side diffuses it out. Not the prettiest though. Maybe fine some black to blend in better.

Good luck!

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol guess information directly from ATI, you know the actual manufacturer of the bulb doesn’t know what they are saying when they market their own bulb on their own site. But eh, who are they anyway?
LOL! they are just writing down one of the reasons why the customer should get the bulb. That is the language the new generation speaks. But ATI knows how important that spectrum is and what it represents in a combo.
If you really think the ATI True Actinic "plays no role other than to make corals pop more", like you wrote back in post #7 of this thread you probably have your mind set on that. I had the same impression long ago and kept trying until I changed my mind. I envite you to do the same and see if you can capture the real value of the bulb. Best to you.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ati actinic is a PUR monster. Don't like the par, get a meter that will actually measure it. How are people still in the dark about ancient lighting? There is data everywhere. Quit bickering and come up with something constructive for the OP.
This parallel conversation is actually a good addition to this thread. Some times we need to correct the lines. I don't see any problem with that.
edit: In truth, if the OP don't want to do absolutely nothing (put no diffuser) he/she will be more than fine within the limits of the light provided.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I know I hate when those reflectors get all pitted and frosty, is a good idea tho!
Not the reflectors, the outside of the splash lens. Why would anyone spray saltwater onto a silver coated reflector? Dried saltwater frosts the lens perfectly and can easily be removed. For something more permanent a trip to the hardware store will be required.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fakegolfnews

Fakegolfnews

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This parallel conversation is actually a good addition to this thread. Some times we need to correct the lines. I don't see any problem with that.
edit: In truth, if the OP don't want to do absolutely nothing (put no diffuser) he/she will be more than fine within the limits of the light provided.

:MODS: is there anyway you can remove this person from the thread? Their whole purpose is to troll. Its also not their first time trolling one of my threads

Also can anyone explain how to block someone, i have no need for this toxic person

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fakegolfnews

Fakegolfnews

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then get rid of the T5’s altogether.. The actinic is the lowest par bulb and plays no role other than to make corals pop more.
Im just looking for a low cost solution, dont wanna buy another light

Will give you some ideas
Thanks! Ill look into that

Can you raise the fixture? I like the look of that combo for 2 bulb. What fixture do you have?
Im trying to avoid building something, might have to.
Is your fixture Dimmable?
Nope
Use a piece of frosted or tinted acrylic as a lid
Thats what im thinking, i already have a piece of acrylic that i used to use for a lid, i can just get some vinyl frost stuff to stick on it. Just wasnt sure if it would work so asked on here and the ****post storm ensued lol

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im just looking for a low cost solution, dont wanna buy another light

Thanks! Ill look into that

Im trying to avoid building something, might have to.

Nope

Thats what im thinking, i already have a piece of acrylic that i used to use for a lid, i can just get some vinyl frost stuff to stick on it. Just wasnt sure if it would work so asked on here and the ****post storm ensued lol

Or, have a nice piece of glass cut for a new lid, and then add some window tint. Heck you could probably drop it off at a car window tinter and have it done for CHEAP while you wait.

OP
OP
Fakegolfnews

Fakegolfnews

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or, have a nice piece of glass cut for a new lid, and then add some window tint. Heck you could probably drop it off at a car window tinter and have it done for CHEAP while you wait.

I already have a piece of acrylic that fits. I think ill get some frost stuff at home depot and stick it on there.

My original thought was to use some of the stuff they cover flourescent lights with onto the actual T5. Would that diffuse any?

It's the same material that is on the 3d reefing diffuser for my ai prime so its gotta work for this too right?

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:MODS: is there anyway you can remove this person from the thread? Their whole purpose is to troll. Its also not their first time trolling one of my threads

Also can anyone explain how to block someone, i have no need for this toxic person
Oh, you are that guy that doesn't take good advice and want to hear what you already have in mind. Let me tell you... when you post a question and someone gives you their "toxic" suggestions you just ignore all those people until you actually get the answer you want from that one person. Then you abandon the thread.
I'll try to remember your name from now on.
Hopefully you found the answer you wanted.
It's so sad how people act like that when we try to help them out for the best solution. Unbelievable!
Good luck!

Mike konesky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which fixture are you using? Could get you par numbers if you have something similar to my agrobrites

OP
OP
Fakegolfnews

Fakegolfnews

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, you are that guy that doesn't take good advice and want to hear what you already have in mind. Let me tell you... when you post a question and someone gives you their "toxic" suggestions you just ignore all those people until you actually get the answer you want from that one person. Then you abandon the thread.
I'll try to remember your name from now on.
Hopefully you found the answer you wanted.
It's so sad how people act like that when we try to help them out for the best solution. Unbelievable!
Good luck!
If you wanna keep harassing me do you mind PM'ing me? Nobody wants to hear it.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you wanna keep harassing me do you mind PM'ing me? Nobody wants to hear it.
No one is harassing you! I tried to help you.
I already said good luck.
Take care of your thread and find the answer.
Best to you.

OP
OP
Fakegolfnews

Fakegolfnews

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one is harassing you! I tried to help you.
I already said good luck.
Take care of your thread and find the answer.
Best to you.
Then why won't you just go away? This is the second thread of mine that you have tried to turn to your personal school of reefing. If you dont like my threads why dont you just ignore them. Im positive the mods are going to agree with me that you added nothing constructive to the thread and were being a troll

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then why won't you just go away? This is the second thread of mine that you have tried to turn to your personal school of reefing. If you dont like my threads why dont you just ignore them. Im positive the mods are going to agree with me that you added nothing constructive to the thread and were being a troll
LOL! Good bye.

Mike konesky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An option besides buying a diffuser would be to scuff up the reflectors to reduce par. Will drop par if needed, but of course make the light useless for anything but that tank. If you can't raise it or pop some sort of diffuser on, its another option. I won't be doing any par testing on that though lol. All I can think of for now.

OP
OP
Fakegolfnews

Fakegolfnews

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An option besides buying a diffuser would be to scuff up the reflectors to reduce par. Will drop par if needed, but of course make the light useless for anything but that tank. If you can't raise it or pop some sort of diffuser on, its another option. I won't be doing any par testing on that though lol. All I can think of for now

Frosted tint <--- link haha

Will this work? Im concerned that it says it blocks uv... which im sure is just a lie anyways haha

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back