T5/Hybrid vs More LED Lights

Style68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am currently using 3 Radion XR30W Pro LED lights (with diffusers) over my Red Sea 425 XL tank and one Maxspect Ethereal over my Red Sea Reefer Nano tank. I also have an Aquatic Life 36" T5HO Hybrid fixture stored away in my closet. I am thinking of taking one of the Radions from the 425XL tank and using it on the Reefer Nano tank (replacing the Ethereal) and then using the T5/Hybrid fixture with 2 Radions on my 425XL tank.

I am thinking of doing this only because I want to put more demanding SPS corals in my nano tank and I feel the Ethereal is not powerful enough for more demanding SPS corals.

So my question is would I see a noticeable improvement in coral growth and color using a T5 Hybrid with 2 Radions vs 3 Radions using a diffuser?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will get more help if you post the dimensions of the tank. Too few people know every tank and the lingo - I have been doing this for almost 30 years and I only know that a 425xl appears to be Red Sea lingo, but no idea the dimensions that you are trying to cover.

Adding T5s is more than just about power, but it adds spectrum that people find very helpful. I do not know if you will get more growth, but nobody has ever reported back that they got less color. You get a few folks who hate they hybrid and the form factor, but as for pure performance, it is kinda like having sex... nobody really comes to the conclusion that "I tried sex out for a while and it was just not for me." You can especially see the difference in color and coverage of adding T5s over acropora.

OP
OP
S

Style68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dimensions are 47" L x 22" H x 22" W.

So would you say that it's probably a waste of time to go through the hassle of changing out my lights?

The reason why I got the Radion Pros were due to all the recommendations that it's all I will need to grow acropora and get great color. I wanted to see what others have to say who have used both types of system to see if they felt it was a waste of time to switch from one type to the other (specifically Radion Pros)

danreefman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went from t5 to radions recently (4-5 months). Starterted with 4 now I have 6. Did the extra 2 instead of hybrid. My tank is 60x30x24 but really only 53 long cause of giant old school overflow. I love it.

tqpolo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The T5/2 Radions is a better choice and put the 3rd Radion on the Nano. Three Radions on a 4 ft tank is over kill and you probably still get some shadow. The T5 will help with the spreads.

OP
OP
S

Style68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The T5/2 Radions is a better choice and put the 3rd Radion on the Nano. Three Radions on a 4 ft tank is over kill and you probably still get some shadow. The T5 will help with the spreads.
Thank you. This is how I was feeling and just needed someone to confirm that it makes sense. Thanks again.

OP
OP
S

Style68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went from t5 to radions recently (4-5 months). Starterted with 4 now I have 6. Did the extra 2 instead of hybrid. My tank is 60x30x24 but really only 53 long cause of giant old school overflow. I love it.
I plan to sell either my Maxspect Ethereal or Aquatic Life T5 Hybrid fixture. If you were in my place would you still stay with the 3 Radions and keep the Ethereal on the nano tank?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 75.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 14 12.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back