T5 lighting with xr30s or A360X?

christopher.lauwers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I picked up a 48inch t5hybrid light from my LFS yesterday and have it paired with 3 gen4 xr30 pros. There is a growing part of me that wants to switch out the xr30s for 3 A360xs. Any one out there that has T5 and A360X that can share their experience? Any advantages using the 360 vs the Radions?

Tank Specs
Red sea reef 525 59long 23wide(?) 22 high

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS has done videos on kessil with t5 and they love it. However, I think the gen4 with diffuser is still a great light. You may get wider shimmer lines with the kessil but I really I don't see a need for you to swap out the light.

VermontReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've considered a 48" Aquatic Life hybrid with 3 Radion G5 Pro's for my Cade 1200 as well. However I hate the look of the light and the poor design of the cords on each side. Can you guys submit a pic of your hybrids?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Kessil is about 1/2 the light of an xr30, IMO. It depends what you keep, but Kessils are lower powered and lower output, which is fine for some things and not so much for others. I keep mostly acropora and I find Kessils to be a joke, but I need high output. The T5s will help, but they help with the xr30s too. You might like the Kessils, but it will be different in coverage (shadowing) and output. Maybe keep the Radions for a while until you are sure?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run only 360s and love them for what it's worth. Paired with t5 there should be no issues.

VermontReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with you on Kessil. Going with them vs. Radion's is a huge step down. Never been a big fan of Kessil except on a nano or in special applications. That's just my two cents.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running Kessils with dx-18's but I'm just getting started. They look amazing, easy to control with the wifi module and I'm getting good par mid point and up. Time will tell how they'll do for me in the long run, I was on the fence between these, the radions and metal halide. Who knows, maybe a year from now I'll switch. If I were you I'd stick it out with the radions. I don't think the kessil's will bring anything to the table to make reinvesting worthwhile. Just my 2 cents

OP
OP
C

christopher.lauwers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks for all the feedback!

Truth be told, I did end up switching them out and am really happy with the a360Xs. I feel that some of my corals are a bit happier with the Kessils ( I'm sure just wish full thinking). Not to take anything away from the Radions I just felt I never would use the Radions to their full potential. What really made my final decision is the Kessil logic, the idea to just set a color you like and the intensity drew me in. Yes, I was following AB+ schedules with the Radions but just wanted a plug and play for now.

"K.I.S.S- Keep It Simple Stupid - Great advice, hurts my feelings every time" Dwight Schrute

I am a to much of an overthinking and rahter then keep putting both lights on an off the tank I sold them on the forums.

In the end, as you all have said you can't go wrong with either one.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the feedback!

Truth be told, I did end up switching them out and am really happy with the a360Xs. I feel that some of my corals are a bit happier with the Kessils ( I'm sure just wish full thinking). Not to take anything away from the Radions I just felt I never would use the Radions to their full potential. What really made my final decision is the Kessil logic, the idea to just set a color you like and the intensity drew me in. Yes, I was following AB+ schedules with the Radions but just wanted a plug and play for now.

"K.I.S.S- Keep It Simple Stupid - Great advice, hurts my feelings every time" Dwight Schrute

I am a to much of an overthinking and rahter then keep putting both lights on an off the tank I sold them on the forums.

In the end, as you all have said you can't go wrong with either one.
How many did you drop in?

EuphylliaAddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've considered a 48" Aquatic Life hybrid with 3 Radion G5 Pro's for my Cade 1200 as well. However I hate the look of the light and the poor design of the cords on each side. Can you guys submit a pic of your hybrids?
We built a frame around the hybrid light and installed a plug above it so you don't really see anything above the fixture. We also took black curtains and put magnets on one side to hide the overspill. I plan on using hinges and lawan in the future to make more of a cabinet look.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My 120 was started with an A360x on one side and a G4 Pro XR15 on the other. After a few months it wasn't even close which side of the tank was doing better. The Kessil sucked. Very little coralline growth and the corals were just blah overall.

Then I switched everything over to G5 Pro XR15s. They were even better than the G4. Corals were doing well. Got a PAR meter and was shocked how low the numbers were. So, I stopped screwing around with LED lighting and went back to 250w halides. The corals certainly appreciate it so far. There's not an LED on the market that I've seen or tried that keeps up with halide. I've tried at least a dozen LEDs over the last 10 years.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back