T5 with 2 Kessil AP700 or Keep Geismann Aurora(T5 with built in Cree Led's)

fishnugget1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have an Aurora Hybrid from Geismann. I can get decent par up to 1/3 of the way down a 24" deep tank. Par at bottom is @ 90. My growth in top third is now real good but anything lower is fair at best. Par in top third @275. Unit is 8" above top of tank or 9" above water level. I currently have an SPS dominate tank. Chalisces at lower third doing poorly. My tank is a little over a year old and fairly stable. Alk 8.3, Cal 425, Mag 1325.

Coloration is good with T5. Led's are at 100% for blues. White is at 20%. To get higher par I would need to increase whites which ruins look of tank. Shimmer is poor. I purchased a Geissmann Stellar hybrid to replace the unit. I was going to add Kessil ap700 (2) to increase par and possibly get better growth. My t5 are currently 2 Super Blue & 2 Coral from ATI.

I don't know whether I will get a lot more par and growth throughout the tank. I know shimmer will be better. I selected Ap700 due to sleek design that would not stick out the top of hybrid unit.
Kessil 360X would look poor on unit and no brackets are currently available to hold unit in this hybrid. Also would have to be daisy chained . Too many wires. Look would be bad.

I am so confused what might be better overall.

Any thoughts you have would be appreciated.

Thanks

bar|none

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put my kessil A360x below my Geismann and it is working out well. The kessils want to be 6-6.5" off the water. The Geismann's T5's higher. So it works out. If you want SPS range all the way to bottom I was nuking my LPS at 250 par at bottom at 75%, and dialed it back to 55-60%. Top of water 500, top tier of SPS, 350-380. Middle tier 250-280. Using full Kessil width, not narrow lens. The kessils are so small they don't shade the T5 really at all. I'm using actinics and purple plus which is not as much output as your combination.

My Geismann has the center halide and I just skip using it.

IMG_7392.jpeg

bar|none

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you should put the a360x's in there. Use the arms I am using if it can't mount in the Geismann. You'll get the things you are lacking like amazing color, shimmer and par. From what I understand the ap700 are not nearly as good. Plus way less flexible and adjustable. Just my opinion.

You have polar white, so finish color is an issue? I don't know. I'd still run black on white.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If clean aesthetic is priority number 2 behind par, color, and growth, the answer is the ATI powermodule WiFi hybrid. You will easily be able to drop 500 par on your sandbed of a 24” deep tank if you felt so inclined. One wire coming out of the fixture. Just sell everything you have and start over with the single unit that can do it all

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 27 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.4%
Back