T5

24/7ReeFTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the best t5 bulb combo for a 55g reef tank. Where is the best place to get a fixture. My LFS has bulbs but no fixtures.
Thanks.

Fish4udog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally like ATI t5 bulbs check out Bulk Reef Supply online have a good selection of quality lights

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
t5 bulbs are alot differant than other lighting , you need to figure out what coral your keeping and if this is t5 only or hybrid. If its t5 only you will need some full spectrum bulbs and then some accent bulbs , a common combo would be 2 coral plus with 2 blue plus ATI for a 4 bulb, If you have LEDs you can just put in accent bulbs like blue plus or purple plus and use your LED as the main spectrum. I run 4 x 54w 2 ATI blue + and 2 KZ FujiPurple with 2 Redsea 90 on a 80 gallon 48x24x16 , on my t5 only hoods I run coral plus with blue plus and purple plus , the ATI bulbs are great I have just been running my KZ Fiji's so long I would never stop using them (they are expensive though) and purple plus will suffice just not as good a red spike.

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fixture wise, ATI and Giessman are top of the line, their bulbs are too. There are cheaper fixtures out there though, if money is an issue. Nothing wrong with getting a decent fixture and running the ATI or Giessman bulbs on it, just make sure the ballasts can support them. Also, check the marketplace here for some used fixtures. Personally, I would go with an ATI hybrid fixture and add LEDs to it

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The aquatic life hybrids are awesome , and cheap . the ballast is all that matters and they all use the same brand now. Dimmable is whack in t5 and shortens bulb life. Cool for an office not for a tank. Save your $$

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s is no such thing as best combo. They will all work relatively well to one another. On a 55 gallon you can fit 4 bulbs with most fixtures. A 6 bulb or greater will just be illuminating the floor in front and wall behind the tank.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of the t5 fixtures worth their weight come with legs that mount to the tank (maybe the giesemann matrixx does). I’d pick up a sunblaze 4x54 watt unit on amazon for $90, or an ati 4x54 watt unit if you want a cleaner more functional construction with active cooling.

OP
OP

24/7ReeFTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

is there anyway to make this light hang of the tank instead if the celling??
Will it be good for 55g I can always add blue bulbs also

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back