OP
OP
tacosricos

tacosricos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update: all of the changes I've made recently have been paying off! Algae growth on the glass has slowed considerably (it's like once per week cleaning now), coralline is visibly taking off everywhere, and I have tons of little sponges growing in my sump that seemed to appear overnight! I have a youtube channel that I've been working on, mostly for my other hobbies (fishing and kayaking) but I'm thinking about adding some reefing to the mix. When I get around to making a video about this tank, I will be sure to post it here first!

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update: all of the changes I've made recently have been paying off! Algae growth on the glass has slowed considerably (it's like once per week cleaning now), coralline is visibly taking off everywhere, and I have tons of little sponges growing in my sump that seemed to appear overnight! I have a youtube channel that I've been working on, mostly for my other hobbies (fishing and kayaking) but I'm thinking about adding some reefing to the mix. When I get around to making a video about this tank, I will be sure to post it here first!
Thanks for sharing. Keep us posted.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

that would be cool.
Please share your YT channel. I like to check out the fishing and kayak.

OP
OP
tacosricos

tacosricos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since adding the skimmer the water has been very clear, and algae growth has ground to a halt. I clean the glass like once a week. This caused me to get lazy with my testing. a Po4 revealed my Po4 to be at 0.5! I normally try to keep it under 0.1, and if it gets above that algae goes nuts.

So the skimmer/carbon dosing is preventing Po4 from causing an algae bloom (I assume because of very low N03, which I will check this morning).

OP
OP
tacosricos

tacosricos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still truckin':

Finally changed out the return lines, these take up less space and cast less of a shadow. I plan to get some SPS going on the uppermost level of the tower.

I have been fighting some weird cloudiness issues, the activated carbon is helping a bit but not as much as I would expect. I think it might be bacterial. Otherwise everything is good. The vinegar dosing keeps N03 low, but I have to keep an eye on po4 and keep it in check through GFO.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 128 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.4%
Back