Tailspot blenny help

ExoS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a tailspot blenny and a firefish a couple of days ago. These are my second set of fish after buying a couple of clown several months ago so I am very new at this. They are currently in a 20 gallon qt tank that is untreated so far. The firefish is eating and generally acting normal. The tailspot blenny has been hiding in the corner of the aquarium and generally not moving. I haven’t seen him eat yet. So my general question is, is this a problem? Should I try to do more to get him to eat?

Some background info: The tank has two pvc connectors in it. He hasn’t been in either, instead just staying in the Bottom corner of the tank. He has switched corners a couple of times. I don’t know if the pvc connectors are too big for him or feel comfortable. They are 1 1/2 inches. Should I buy smaller ones for him?

I have been attempting to feed selcon soaked mysis and selcon soaked Hikari algae pellets but he hasn’t gone for either. I also have tdo pellets available but I thought he would like the algae pellets better. Should I try algae sheets? I didn’t want to put too much food in that would cause ammonia issues.

Also I don’t know if this is part of the issue. The place I bought from told me they were at 1.022 but when I got home I tested at 1.017. I had my tank ready at 1.025 planning to dilute as needed but I didn’t have enough to water to get to the 1.017. So I put what I had in and got the tank to 1.022 and drip acclimated for two hours. Could this be part of the problem? The fish were locally purchased so I don’t think ammonia from drip acclimation should be an issue.

The tank is at 0 ppm of ammonia as it should be since the water is brand new. What do you think i should do? Is it even a problem after two days?

thanks for the help

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Don’t focus on algae itself and seaweed sheets won’t work. It needs fine foods such as spirulina brine shrimp, mysis shrimp and LRS fish frenzy

OP
OP
E

ExoS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t focus on algae itself and seaweed sheets won’t work. It needs fine foods such as spirulina brine shrimp, mysis shrimp and LRS fish frenzy
Ok thanks for the suggestion. I am trying the mysis already so I guess I will try the frozen and see if he likes that.

Jbell370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought my tailspot about 2 months ago, for the first 2 weeks he sat on one rock or the other, never saw anything from him eating wise or other. Next 2 weeks he moved around a little more and explored the new area. It took a month before he actually interacted with everything and everyone, he is a funny little guy.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 55.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.6%
Back