Take 3: The 120 gallon journey

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"If at first you do not succeed, try try again...." That's the saying right?

I don't want to say that I failed the first 2 times, because I learned something that I can take with me in the future. Failure is when you do something and gain nothing of value.

The first time, I set up with sand and pukani rock. I couldnt keep anything alive. I had no coralline algae growth, but I could grow algae on the sand, on the rocks like it was no one's business. One day, I woke up and said, I have a 60" tank...I have 2 clowns in it. Let's just take them out, and start all over. I bleached and acid bathed the rock. I removed the sand. I saw why I couldn't keep anything alive....

Take 2 was the barebottom version. I had coralline, I had actual SPS success, but I put in an additive and essentially killed everything I had, except for 1 acropora. The fish were unaffected. Things were going really well, until I took out a rock to clean all the crap that got caught inside the rock....I saw thorns, except these were vermetid snails. I had thousands of them all over my rocks...mostly on the bottom of the rocks. After giving it long thought, and being jealous at how my biocube 29 was doing with Marco rocks, I decided to start over....new rock, a new T5 light....

that leads us to today. On 10/7, I started the cycle. On 11/9/2018, I was able to dose 1ml ammonia on 11/8/2018 and test 0 ammonia, and 0 nitrite today. The cycle is complete! Well the initial cycle.

As for the tank, it's a basic marineland 60x18x26. I drilled it for a beananimal, and an internal coast to coast overflow. The drains are 1" red pvc into a 302 aquatics sump that is 40x16x18...into 3 4" filter socks, into the skimmer, into a refugium (although it's really small), and into the return.

The stand is something I made, and while not perfect, and a million things I would do differently with it...it's functional, and would hold a tank...literally.

Lighting the tank is a 6x80W T5 ATI Sunpower with 4 blue plus, 1 coral plus and 1 actinic (I have a purple plus as well in the closet). It's mounted using an aluminum contraption I saw online somewhere, and works really well since I can't hang from the ceiling or from the wall.

Flow is in the form of a Sicce 5.0 return pump, and a pair of mp40QDs which run on 100% reef crest until midnight when they kickdown into 65% reef crest.

Filtration is in the form of 120 lbs of reefcleaners rock, a Reef Octopus classic 200INT skimmer, and a CW-100 Algae Scrubber.

Salt being used is the Red Sea blue bucket, and in time, will be using the ATI Essentials (eventually Pro) dosing program.

The plan is to have an SPS dominated tank, with some encrusting SPS on the bottom class, maybe some lower light branching colonies...that's the plan at least. If this doesn't work, I'll probably work on an LPS dominated system with the MP40's running Lagoon or Tidal Swell.

I'll update with pictures later today or this weekend. LET'S GET THIS STARTED!

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"If at first you do not succeed, try try again...." That's the saying right?

I don't want to say that I failed the first 2 times, because I learned something that I can take with me in the future. Failure is when you do something and gain nothing of value.

The first time, I set up with sand and pukani rock. I couldnt keep anything alive. I had no coralline algae growth, but I could grow algae on the sand, on the rocks like it was no one's business. One day, I woke up and said, I have a 60" tank...I have 2 clowns in it. Let's just take them out, and start all over. I bleached and acid bathed the rock. I removed the sand. I saw why I couldn't keep anything alive....

Take 2 was the barebottom version. I had coralline, I had actual SPS success, but I put in an additive and essentially killed everything I had, except for 1 acropora. The fish were unaffected. Things were going really well, until I took out a rock to clean all the crap that got caught inside the rock....I saw thorns, except these were vermetid snails. I had thousands of them all over my rocks...mostly on the bottom of the rocks. After giving it long thought, and being jealous at how my biocube 29 was doing with Marco rocks, I decided to start over....new rock, a new T5 light....

that leads us to today. On 10/7, I started the cycle. On 11/9/2018, I was able to dose 1ml ammonia on 11/8/2018 and test 0 ammonia, and 0 nitrite today. The cycle is complete! Well the initial cycle.

As for the tank, it's a basic marineland 60x18x26. I drilled it for a beananimal, and an internal coast to coast overflow. The drains are 1" red pvc into a 302 aquatics sump that is 40x16x18...into 3 4" filter socks, into the skimmer, into a refugium (although it's really small), and into the return.

The stand is something I made, and while not perfect, and a million things I would do differently with it...it's functional, and would hold a tank...literally.

Lighting the tank is a 6x80W T5 ATI Sunpower with 4 blue plus, 1 coral plus and 1 actinic (I have a purple plus as well in the closet). It's mounted using an aluminum contraption I saw online somewhere, and works really well since I can't hang from the ceiling or from the wall.

Flow is in the form of a Sicce 5.0 return pump, and a pair of mp40QDs which run on 100% reef crest until midnight when they kickdown into 65% reef crest.

Filtration is in the form of 120 lbs of reefcleaners rock, a Reef Octopus classic 200INT skimmer, and a CW-100 Algae Scrubber.

Salt being used is the Red Sea blue bucket, and in time, will be using the ATI Essentials (eventually Pro) dosing program.

The plan is to have an SPS dominated tank, with some encrusting SPS on the bottom class, maybe some lower light branching colonies...that's the plan at least. If this doesn't work, I'll probably work on an LPS dominated system with the MP40's running Lagoon or Tidal Swell.

I'll update with pictures later today or this weekend. LET'S GET THIS STARTED!
Sounds awesome, looking forward to this!

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a blank canvas to work with.

bc0d73b91999dbdb6972414b9c774496.jpg

The ATI light and the brackets made.

1e61558abd2065c674e8d7dae76ca00b.jpg

4db1bbb87a1d01d957e2cca154f6621e.jpg

The CW-100 Algae scrubber established in the 40 breeder holding tank.

7a13c3141bab86876a74206f297de9e7.jpg

Where my apex is at...I may make a cabinet. Not sure yet, won’t help with the mass of wires in the back.

8c74c36e4a48ff1c60355637bc2341a2.jpg

A look down the coast to coast overflow (never mind the dirty glass)

8e780df87b13b48aa6651d20d7304201.jpg

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ATO container. Petco dog food container. Holds about 12 gallons of water. Fits perfectly in the space that I have.

0133804210b1a663ae0b43c7c4bc2252.jpg

302 aquatics Sump.

5a451a4248abec403f62c39ac87cd2c5.jpg

693da849b2b348baed798c12ef290287.jpg

279ea1ab8c5a2a9da99ef66ab4f9148f.jpg

Reef Octopus classic 200INT

bd8f15e60e31702fe8b9cd33aea58c52.jpg

The return. Flows pretty good. Why use clamps when zip ties work really well!

1b8967289db34846aaab4ddf3880b2b4.jpg

Dosing tube holder. Don’t like where it’s at but have little other options

d935fdd59d51cbd199fa197ef257e473.jpg

40 breeder holding tank. Eventually will be a coral QT due to the 4x24 T5 over the top.

0071d457a911ffa74f7547a49e913779.jpg

This is my fish QT where copper (chelated) is ran. Going to try @HotRocks QT protocol and see how that works.

984bca0953cf714b78e917d1a9e800c5.jpg

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night, I transferred the Tomini into the tank. He was getting beat up and hiding in the 40 breeder from the other 2 tangs. I would have moved the midas blenny over, but as usual, he was deep in his hole in the rock and wouldn't come out.

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night, I transferred the Tomini into the tank. He was getting beat up and hiding in the 40 breeder from the other 2 tangs. I would have moved the midas blenny over, but as usual, he was deep in his hole in the rock and wouldn't come out.
Poor little dude. Why can't everyone just get along [emoji1787]

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poor little dude. Why can't everyone just get along [emoji1787]

yeah, my yellow is a prick. he may stay in the 40 breeder or get traded in for a smaller yellow or a different yellow fish (ie: fox face). The Hippo was getting a bit ornery with the Tomini, but I think that was due to the tight quarters...never seen him do that to anyone other than the Yellow previously, and that was because the yellow antagonized it. The Hippo usually is one chill customer.

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, my yellow is a prick. he may stay in the 40 breeder or get traded in for a smaller yellow or a different yellow fish (ie: fox face). The Hippo was getting a bit ornery with the Tomini, but I think that was due to the tight quarters...never seen him do that to anyone other than the Yellow previously, and that was because the yellow antagonized it. The Hippo usually is one chill customer.
Well hopefully if they all go in the big tank at the same time, maybe they will all be okay. Or maybe put the yellow in last.

I hope so [emoji106]

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well hopefully if they all go in the big tank at the same time, maybe they will all be okay. Or maybe put the yellow in last.

I hope so [emoji106]

My plan is...Tomini first, Midas next....then a month or so, add the 2 clowns...January, add the hippo (which should give the Tomini 8 weeks to grow a set of balls)...and in February, add the Yellow or March a new fish following QT...

As for the rest of the fish, I'm looking at a group of 5-7 Threadfin Cardinals, and maybe 3-5 different flasher wrasse, which probably would be the end of the fish stocking.

My CUC will probably be 20 Trochus snails, 20-25 nerites, 2 cleaner shrimp and 1 fire shrimp (maybe 2), and of course I've already seeded the rocks with pods from algae barn.

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plan is...Tomini first, Midas next....then a month or so, add the 2 clowns...January, add the hippo (which should give the Tomini 8 weeks to grow a set of balls)...and in February, add the Yellow or March a new fish following QT...

As for the rest of the fish, I'm looking at a group of 5-7 Threadfin Cardinals, and maybe 3-5 different flasher wrasse, which probably would be the end of the fish stocking.

My CUC will probably be 20 Trochus snails, 20-25 nerites, 2 cleaner shrimp and 1 fire shrimp (maybe 2), and of course I've already seeded the rocks with pods from algae barn.
So much time and planning involved in stocking a tank wow. Sounds like you know what you're doing though [emoji6]

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All this makes me kind of glad I'm only setting up a 30 gallon [emoji16]

I'm thinking about starting it with the 20 gallon package from Tampa Bay saltwater. The package comes with live rock, live sand, and a clean up crew. What's nice about this is there's already some life on the rock of course, and almost no cycle time.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My CUC will probably be 20 Trochus snails, 20-25 nerites, 2 cleaner shrimp and 1 fire shrimp (maybe 2), and of course I've already seeded the rocks with pods from algae barn
Only thing i might suggest is Astrea Turbo snails over Nerites. For me the Astrea are so much more active and never try climbing out of the tank for my dog to eat.

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only thing i might suggest is Astrea Turbo snails over Nerites. For me the Astrea are so much more active and never try climbing out of the tank for my dog to eat.

They can’t flip themselves can they? That’s why I am thinking of doing trochus/nerites.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can’t flip themselves can they? That’s why I am thinking of doing trochus/nerites.
No Astrea cannot. I dont think Nerites can either but maybe Im wrong. Trocus definitely can.

If you dont have a lid the Nerites will jailbreak and youll fond them on the floor, behind the tank etc.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back