Take 3: The 120 gallon journey

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can’t flip themselves can they? That’s why I am thinking of doing trochus/nerites.

I like Trochus and Ceriths. Between those two they cover almost every kind of algae. I will say I tried some Turbos recently and they were fantastic, but can be bulldozers. All can right themselves.

Nerites are active, but will climb out and really only help with film algae and diatoms. I find this table to be pretty accurate (at the bottom of this post).

https://joejaworski.wordpress.com/2013/10/03/whats-the-best-snail-for-a-reef-tank/

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to add on, i also love nassarius snails for sand bed cleaning. They fully dive into the sandbed, and when you feed they surface like a bunch of little submarines.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to add on, i also love nassarius snails for sand bed cleaning. They fully dive into the sandbed, and when you feed they surface like a bunch of little submarines.

Right! I always forget them because I have bare bottom. They do right themselves, but I note, they do not go for algae and are almost exclusively for sand bed cleaning as you mention.

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st tests were yesterday:

Salinity: 1.026
Alkalinity: 7.0 (dosed and retested at 8.9 - was trying to get to 8...not a big deal)
pH: 8.11
Calcium: 450ppm
Magnesium: 1300
Nitrate: 15-20ppm
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0

General thoughts, it's a baseline. Nitrates are up still from the cycle, will do another 25g (roughly 20%) change today or tomorrow. I think the calcium is a testing error based on the other numbers. The Tomini hasn't been out very much, but I did see him swimming. He's a very very shy fish, and appears to have a pretty secure cave he hangs out in. Will try to feed him later, and put in a sheet of algae, which he basically ignored that I'm aware of.

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Operation Midas Blenny captured is a success. In the 120 he is. The Tomini either is defending his tank or happy to see a buddy.

He checked out the Blenny and went back to his cave. Lol

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shrimp received today. 2 skunks for the 120, 1 for the biocube, and a fire shrimp for the 120.

2 skunks are in the 120, doing well, getting acclimated to their surroundings. 1 is in the biocube and also doing well. Unfortunately the Fire Shrimp died during acclimation, literally 10 minutes into it, and mad props to @FishyBusinessAq for crediting me back. I appreciate and will be looking to add a fire shrimp to the 120, and get my drip acclimation kit this time :)

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
11/18 update: Tomini is still very very skittish, rarely is swimming about, though he goes from island to island. The midas blenny also hides a lot, if you didn't know any better, you'd say the tank was empty. The cleaner shrimp are doing very well, and we are starting to get diatoms. I may be putting an order in for some diatom eating snails, trochus and nerites are probably on the agenda, maybe 10 of each.

No idea if the pods are populating, but I continue to dose 30 ml of phytoplankton daily...and with the diatoms showing up, I may cut that back to twice a week (not to mention I'm almost out, and continuing to order it is going to get expensive).

I moved the algae scrubber over off the holding tank, and it's fully seeded with algae, the screen is very thick at the moment and it's on the agenda to clean today, along with doing a 25 gallon water change.

My original plan was to run the ATI essentials program, but with having 600 gallons of IO Salt in my basement, I'm toying with running this thing with IO. I've been using Red Sea Blue, but at $76 for 400 gallons of IO salt, and $72 for about 150 gallons of Red sea...i'm thinking it may make more financial sense to run using IO, and the BRS 2 part to maintain an alkalinity at 9.5, calcium at 430. my last batch of IO made up at 11.2 dkh.

I'm still a ways off from that but I'm in the planning aspect. The downside to the BRS 2 part is adding the trace elements, which is another 4 head dosing pump, though, I probably could do it by hand every sunday night (in all probability for a long time, would be 1-2ml of A B C D).

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, running the lights for 3 hours a day, I am seeing the start of my ugly phase. I'm seeing some diatoms, and hair algae or bryopsis. The Tomini is often seen pecking at the rocks, which is awesome. I haven't yet added snails, and I'm thinking the time has come for that. maybe 10 nerites and 10 trochus to start.

The algae scrubber is in overdrive. scraped off a nice thick mat last week and it's getting thicker and thicker with every week, so it's doing the job. I haven't yet tested for PO4, but will do that. The Nitrates are definitely over 4, but probably under 20. If I had to guess, in the 10 range.

It's almost time to add in the clowns, probably 2 more weeks. then another 4-6 weeks, add the hippo, and figure out what I'm doing with the yellow tang. He really is a prick, and I think it may be time for a trade-in.

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ordered 5 Trochus Snails from Algae Barn and some pods. Added them last night.

Woke up this morning, and added in the 2 clownfish. Next up will be the hippo tang...probably first week or so of january, and then figure out what to do with the Yellow Tang. I'm still not sure what I'm doing at this point. Advice? Ideas?

I'm thinking one of the next group of fish will be 3-5 flasher wrasse (males), and a captive bred orchid dottyback. Maybe a group of Cardinals, and that would probably be it for stocking.

I have started to dose 5ml of ATI essentials at the recommendation of a local shop owner to get the system acclimated to the added alkalinity/calcium/magnesium, and allow it to get settled vs just starting it and shocking the system. Corals are probably at least another month, maybe 2 off, so get ready @BoomCorals...will need a nice mix of easy SPS to start up.

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing some maintenance. Saw these things...I am fairly sure they are pineapple sponges.

8bf4c9d42378fd96b1c534b449c18d17.jpg

060118bfdf323cb6df2e24dc13869f78.jpg

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sponges galore. No real updates except I found a couple vermetid snails, which I promptly removed. One I could not so I crushed the shell and the cleaner shrimp had a meal.

Not sure how they got in unless my algae scrubber brought them over when I moved off the holding tank. It’s been a week or so and no signs of them critters since I removed the rocks that had some on and chipped them off with a screwdriver.

We are getting some nice green color to the rocks, and I am waiting for the coralline to make an appearance. I have a 6 pack of corals all selected from @BoomCorals to add. Couple stylo’s a birds nest, pocillipora, and my favorite to date the mystic sunset.

Tests were as follows this week: 1.025/7.8/420/8-10 nitrate. No PO4 test and Magnesium is this week or next. The 5ml of ATI essentials isn’t hurting anything or elevating things.

I will be doing another 30g change this week and move to 15g every week. Once I really get going in the corals and ATI, probably 30g a month.

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last 30g water change unless I need to keep doing them. The rocks are getting more green every day. I was doing some cleaning and knocked a rock off the scape only to reveal a rock with 5 vermetid snails on it.

Rock promptly removed and they were popped off into the garbage disposal. There was one earlier in the week that I couldn’t get the rock out, so I took a flathead screwdriver and smashed it. The cleaner shrimp appears to have enjoyed the meal.

From here on out will be doing 15g changes weekly until I have corals and am neck deep in ATI essentials. Then I will do 30g changes once a month.

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: 12/31

1.026, 7.8 dKh, 8 NO3, 0.01 PO4, 415 calcium, 1280 magnesium, pH 8.1-8.2.

Added the hippo tang last night, the clowns were not happy, but the Midas Blenny was ecstatic to have someone swimming in open water.

The tank seems to be settling in, though zero signs of coralline algae anywhere. That will be my sign to add corals.

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing major to update this week. Still waiting for the coralline algae to show up. We are 90 days post initial cycle completion. rocks are getting that aged look with green spots.

This weekend, changed 30G of water, noticed some of those little ******* vermetid snails on a rock, pulled it out, and popped off 6...so far they are appearing on rocks that I can get to, and I pop off about 2-3 every 6 weeks or so. Not a big deal. The hippo appears to have made the clownfish part of his gang, and they are almost always together. It's quite comical. The Tomini is definitely more at ease with the current inhabitants than he was with the Yellow tang in there.

Once i start seeing some coralline appearing, we'll order 2-3 pieces of sps and get them placed.

Tests this week were: 1.026, 8.2 ph, 7.3 dkh, 5 NO3, 0.003 PO4, 415 calcium.

All in all, things are good. The pineapple sponges are disappearing.

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the unpredictability of this build from day 1 hasn't gone smoothly and tonight, I'm fairly certain my apex classic died. no power. just rebooted the router, still no power. cannot access it on the router.

Soooo....I may be ordering an apex EL tomorrow morning.

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my apex didn’t die. Some idiot forgot to plug it in.

Just waiting for this tank to mature. I put in some pieces with coralline and the coralline is dying off. Just tested and it’s: 1.025/8.1ph/8.2 alk/425 calcium/ and Nitrates are under 1 per NYOS. Currently testing with Red Sea.

Life has come in the way and it’s essentially a fowlr at the moment but no rush, just letting this beast mature.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back