Take Two

Meara

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 10, 2020
Messages
16
Reaction score
7
Location
Edmonton
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

I started my first saltwater tank last February, and everything seemed to be going well. It cycled nicely I had lovely fish I was just waiting to fix a small flow problem in my sump and upgrade my lights for coral. Then I got Ich. Now this is where you need to know that I live in Canada and we can’t get most treatments. So I was stuck trying less effective treatments. So to skip to the end of that heart breaking incident I lost most of my fish.

As of early October I have in quarantine a lawnmower blennie and a sand-sifter gobby. In my display tank I have a few hermit crabs and a couple of shrimp. My plan is to wait until the New year before I reintroduce fish to the display tank. (I read that Ich can’t live on shrimp or crabs) I am hopeful that I can wait out the problem in that tank.

So at this point I am pretty much starting over. I’m going to make some changes to my rock-scape, fix the flow problem in the sump, and get the refugim up and running. Then I can finally start getting fish again.

I would love to hear your thoughts on if you think this plan will work, and any suggestions to avoid going though this again.
 
For step one, I have decided to start with fixing my rockscape. The first one that I had was very simple. The fish kept on trying to find more hiding places and I hadn’t made them very many. So to fix it I tried to add more passages. I have also changed the shape so more of the rock provides shelter. I think the fish will be happier and it will be easier for them to hide from the cat.
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 24 19.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 39 31.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 8.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 18 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new