Meara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

I started my first saltwater tank last February, and everything seemed to be going well. It cycled nicely I had lovely fish I was just waiting to fix a small flow problem in my sump and upgrade my lights for coral. Then I got Ich. Now this is where you need to know that I live in Canada and we can’t get most treatments. So I was stuck trying less effective treatments. So to skip to the end of that heart breaking incident I lost most of my fish.

As of early October I have in quarantine a lawnmower blennie and a sand-sifter gobby. In my display tank I have a few hermit crabs and a couple of shrimp. My plan is to wait until the New year before I reintroduce fish to the display tank. (I read that Ich can’t live on shrimp or crabs) I am hopeful that I can wait out the problem in that tank.

So at this point I am pretty much starting over. I’m going to make some changes to my rock-scape, fix the flow problem in the sump, and get the refugim up and running. Then I can finally start getting fish again.

I would love to hear your thoughts on if you think this plan will work, and any suggestions to avoid going though this again.

OP
OP
Meara

Meara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For step one, I have decided to start with fixing my rockscape. The first one that I had was very simple. The fish kept on trying to find more hiding places and I hadn’t made them very many. So to fix it I tried to add more passages. I have also changed the shape so more of the rock provides shelter. I think the fish will be happier and it will be easier for them to hide from the cat.

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 40 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back