Taking apart acrylic sump?

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have upgraded my sump twice now so I have two extras that are not being used. While I’m stuck at home for the foreseeable future I would like to try some diy stuff. I want to make an acrylic frag rack and maybe some type of shroom box. From searching the web it doesn’t look like the acrylic bonds can be broken. Any ideas on how to take these sumps apart? It looks like I’ll have to cut them, what type of saw is recommended? It’s not a very thick acrylic at all, they are older eshopps sumps. Any ideas?

OP
OP
TriggerFinger

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a jigsaw @WVNed now we’re talking! I only have universal blades, though I can get metal ones. Thanks! Anything else I should know?

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like all things practice makes perfect. Measure twice cut once. All that stuff. The more things you make the better you get.
I just made a sock holder out of PVC house planks from Home Depot.
IMG_2510_heic-XL.jpg

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you'll have to cut it up. I use my tablesaw for all my cuts. Use a blade with as many tpi as possible for a smooth cut. You will need to use Weldon #4 (water like) for the neatest joints, weldon 16 can also be used but it is more gel-like and just won't be as nice looking when done.

OP
OP
TriggerFinger

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a variable speed jigsaw with blades for cutting metal with fine teeth and I run them as slow as I can so they dont melt the plastic.
Yes, you'll have to cut it up. I use my tablesaw for all my cuts. Use a blade with as many tpi as possible for a smooth cut. You will need to use Weldon #4 (water like) for the neatest joints, weldon 16 can also be used but it is more gel-like and just won't be as nice looking when done.
Can either of you tell me how many TPI I should be looking for? I found some cheap looking Chinese blades on eBay with 32 TPI. The local HD only carries up to 24TPI. Is 24 enough?

JohnGP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can either of you tell me how many TPI I should be looking for? I found some cheap looking Chinese blades on eBay with 32 TPI. The local HD only carries up to 24TPI. Is 24 enough?
I've been cutting some acrylic the last few days using these blades and they are great. Make sure and turn off the "oscillating" (is that the word I'm looking for??) setting on your jigsaw if you have one.

OP
OP
TriggerFinger

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Those say for plexiglass specifically, I haven’t come across those. Are you cutting sheets or taking apart a sump like I think I can do @JohnGP ?

JohnGP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm cutting sheets currently but they'd cut your sump up nicely. They cut well, run your saw at about medium speed and let the blade do the work, don't try and move forward too fast or it's hard to cut a straight line. They cut very well and don't seem to make as much of a mess as the fine tooth blades made for cutting metal. It's actually pretty easy with those blades, if you have a scrap piece of acrylic make a couple practice cuts on that, it'll help you get the hang of it.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why destroy two good, working sumps? I'd sell them to someone who can use them. Then take the proceeds and buy the materials to build your project.

OP
OP
TriggerFinger

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm cutting sheets currently but they'd cut your sump up nicely. They cut well, run your saw at about medium speed and let the blade do the work, don't try and move forward too fast or it's hard to cut a straight line. They cut very well and don't seem to make as much of a mess as the fine tooth blades made for cutting metal. It's actually pretty easy with those blades, if you have a scrap piece of acrylic make a couple practice cuts on that, it'll help you get the hang of it.
Thanks!! I’ll order these!
Why destroy two good, working sumps? I'd sell them to someone who can use them. Then take the proceeds and buy the materials to build your project.
They are old models. One is very small and the other has chips and a small crack. The small one came with my set up and the other one was a cheap place holder until I got my new trigger sump. Are you in need of a sump?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!! I’ll order these!

They are old models. One is very small and the other has chips and a small crack. The small one came with my set up and the other one was a cheap place holder until I got my new trigger sump. Are you in need of a sump?

No. But it still breaks my heart when working equipment gets destroyed. Although, with the additional details, I can understand why you'd like to disassemble..

OP
OP
TriggerFinger

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get it. I debated making a separate fuge with the small sump and thought about selling it but it really is tiny and I don’t think would be useful for anyone. Hey @Dom , at least I’m repurposing instead of throwing them away and buying new material??

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back