Taking corals and inverts from a tank with ick?

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my uncle is tired of saltwater and moving back to freshwater. He had ick in his tank 2 months ago. Yet again though I had a yellow tang show spots back in April for a few days but all is good now. Should I feel safe with taking a few corals and inverts?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were these inverts and corals in a tank with fish? If so then it is possible but if you are worried, you can rinse the corals in your tank water and setup a qt for them. Some fish can harbor the marine ich and show no symptoms when they develop some immunity.

F i s h y

2nd In Command.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally if a tank has been fallow for 75+ days with no fish (your uncles tank) you would be good to go. However 2 months ago does not equal 75 days. You however have ich in your system and are managing it rather than running a parasite free system... so its more about the risk you are willing to take moving the coral and stressing your tang. If you think it will be a small amount of stress your tang may not end up with symptoms. But if it is a larger amount, be prepared for symptoms to re occur.

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally if a tank has been fallow for 75+ days with no fish (your uncles tank) you would be good to go. However 2 months ago does not equal 75 days. You however have ich in your system and are managing it rather than running a parasite free system... so its more about the risk you are willing to take moving the coral and stressing your tang. If you think it will be a small amount of stress your tang may not end up with symptoms. But if it is a larger amount, be prepared for symptoms to re occur.
I am not worried much about the tang it seems tough now and is fat and healthy. I have never lost a fish in saltwater yet although I have in freshwater so I kind pf want to keep it perfect. I have a feeling that taking a few corals and rinsing them well may not be an issue. I also have a 30 gallon tub i was turning into holding tank maybe that will be the qt.

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about to pick up the corals today I should take around 10 to 20 depending on each corals condition.

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The focus will be on LPS corals but I also may take one of his feather dusters and a few of the sps frags (he has never done well with sps so I have to see what condition they are in. He actually is doing well to 3 different gorgonians 2 of which are nps. They are probably doing well due to the high nutrients and infrequent water changes maybe.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 47.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back