Taking down tank and cycling new one

1fastrock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello eveyone

I am in the process of switching to a new smaller tank and had a few questions about what I should do to cycle the new tank. I had an issue with hair algae in the old tank so I was wondering if I wash off the rock I have as well as the sand would that kill off all the beneficial bacteria? I just don’t want the algae to follow me to my new tank.
I also have bio balls in my old tank I could use to cycle the new tank or could even use a little bit of my old tank water if that is what is recomended

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes you can do that and the rocks will skip cycle into the new tank

you will have the exact same algae issues in the new tank, they're cyclic and cant be beaten in one pass

we should just fix your current tank, and save this headache. post a full tank shot, you should just rip clean your current tank and keep it, rip cleaning is a form of awesome gha management and it keeps the maturity in place for your rocks.

after your sandbed has no more clouding in it, and the rock have no more algae or clouding inherent within them (the post rip clean condition) then we'd lower your while light intensity, design a future care method for expected algae as its never fixed in one pass, and you can continue on w current tank as-is.

you dont get to be cruise controlled for algae for like seven years, its gardening time to earn true aging and stability afforded by coralline-covered rocks.

the tendency is to run the new tank just like the old, but we should just change how the current tank is ran and that will save current investment.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back