Taking over a sump... help

Ripley224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have taken over taking care of a tank I'm all new to this and I have a couple questions about the sump.

The current setup has 3 chambers. Overflow, refugium, and return.
The main question I have is the there are some odds and ends that I really don't understand there purpose. The overflow section has some large foam rollers that are submerged in the water as well as some 2 dozen small plastic balls. The refugium has a bunch of random rocks and frag bases in there. Any idea on what this stuff is for and if its helping or hurting.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck on the new tank!

The rollers are filters and everything is is for biological filtration, keep it all!

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ripley224, Just be aware that all your evaporation from the tank will show up in the return section of the sump.

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have taken over taking care of a tank I'm all new to this and I have a couple questions about the sump.

The current setup has 3 chambers. Overflow, refugium, and return.
The main question I have is the there are some odds and ends that I really don't understand there purpose. The overflow section has some large foam rollers that are submerged in the water as well as some 2 dozen small plastic balls. The refugium has a bunch of random rocks and frag bases in there. Any idea on what this stuff is for and if its helping or hurting.
the plastic balls n rocks are your filtration so they r helpingn the foam is also part of your filtration but youll want to rinse that in clean saltwater when it gets dirty. the frag plugs r there to prepare for fragging.hope this helps any more just ask lots of knowledge in this place w lots of good peopleR

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can leave all of that stuff in there, just keep it clean. Swish off the rocks, plugs and media balls and suck out the debris on the bottom - no big deal.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%

Back