OP
OP
dowsetts101

dowsetts101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quite a few things done since my last post here. Main focus (apart from getting fish through QT) has been to get my water change station enclosure finished off and my chiller hooked up. Given that we’re in the middle of spring here and already had quite a few hot days, it is a critical component for my tank especially coming into summer.

I purchased a Teco TK500 Chiller and installed it outside in my water change station.

2dfbf17c17dd863105d28ec0db9619d7.jpg

2954af7e1a1a42f71ae29fcb0eb3455d.jpg

Originally I had the pump for the chiller (another Fluval SP4 to match my return pump) positioned in this section next to the chiller, but it just didn’t work, so it’s now sitting in my sump in the return chamber.

Two immersed pumps in the sump probably isn’t desirable, but I didn’t think that redoing the pumping into a single circuit was going to work.

2bd2c3a333f1b65fddc6af300d844d15.jpg

a1458da318ad97e493af3e7a1d8e848f.jpg

014eccaf28726de100a6e1430643a80e.jpg

568c1dcf35ccf1dedc2159961ab2eb79.jpg

Just some final fitting and touchup paint on the cuts and should all be done.

I’ll give a livestock update in a separate post.

OP
OP
dowsetts101

dowsetts101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Livestock wise I’ve been having mixed success with my QT efforts. Have had two batches through my QT tank and on my third now.

Currently I have in my DT
- 2 x Azure Damsels
- 1 x Lawnmower Blenny
- 2 x Scarlet Cleaner shrimp

I’m currently got in QT
- 2x Clownfish
- 2 x Decora Firefish
- 1 x Banggai Cardinal

Cleanup crew
- 4x Trochus
- 2x Nassarius
- 1 x Strombus
- 4 x “Algae Snails”

Coral wise
- Duncan
- Leather
- Organ Pipe
- Acan Lord
- Fungia
- 3x small mushrooms

I’ve purchased a ATI Powermodule Hybrid 24” so when I have that fitted I’ll look at getting some more corals as the T8’s I’ve got in there at the moment are barely cutting it for what I’ve got.

OP
OP
dowsetts101

dowsetts101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received my stocking of Marine Rotifers, Marine Amphipods, Copepods Harpacticoid and Copepods Plankton Wild Mix from AquaticLiveFood today.

Going to add them to my refugium and turn off the low flow into to let them settle in.

Hopefully it will add a bit of diversity into my tank, which given I started with RealReefRock instead of Live Rock I probably need.

8e99eac84590476c5b2a9363db022bd9.jpg

OP
OP
dowsetts101

dowsetts101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hadn’t realised that it had been so long since my last build thread update, so I thought that I should get my act together!!

The tank hardware is pretty much complete. I might look at adding a controller down the track, but won’t be for a while.

Since the last photos that I’ve posted, I’ve done the following:
  • Completed canopy/hood
  • Installed lights (ATI PowerModule T5/LED Hybrid)
  • Installed Aquamedic Evo 4
I struggled a bit with getting my lights sorted...ended up being a pretty simple fix and really happy with them. I’ve got a fair bit of light spill out the top of the canopy as I decided to keep it open behind the hood, went for airflow for the lights instead of closing it all in.

Fish wise I’ve only added in a Labout’s Fairy Wrasse and a Blue Eyed Tang and probably not really lookin at adding any more.

My two cleaner shrimp died a little while back, which I was really disappointed with. I had them for almost 18 months and they died within a couple of weeks of each other. Couldn’t find a cause. The other two shrimp (1x peppermint & 1x Blood Red Fire Shrimp) are doing ok, but a lot less social than the cleaners, so definitely on the lookout for some more cleaner shrimp as I just loved the other two.

I’ve been struggling over the past 6 months or so with aiptasia. With the shape of the aquarium, it’s a struggle to get to the back of the rock formations, so they keep on popping up around there. I’m using Aiptasia-X as my control. It doesn’t look like we can get berghia nudibranchs here in Australia (that I can see) and peppermint shrimp seem to just be expensive snacks for my wrasse!!!

Still taking it pretty slowly with corals, just got my first couple of SPS, so learning about the dosing requirements.

Anyway, that’s probably about it for the moment....off to do a water change now.

2E8FC733-048B-4A05-A121-70629BB892C5.jpeg

05C6AD5B-04A8-46CB-B8A7-AA3D7643552B.jpeg
FB01CEA8-BCAD-4466-9514-E63DECBD9660.jpeg

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks great. May I ask how many gallons it holds and where you got it from. I’m considering getting a corner bow front tank myself.

OP
OP
dowsetts101

dowsetts101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks great. May I ask how many gallons it holds and where you got it from. I’m considering getting a corner bow front tank myself.

Thanks for that. Not sure if you can still get these tanks...I’ve had this one for around 15 years, originally as freshwater but converted to saltwater just over 2 years ago. It’s from AquaOne, model UFO 880. 80 gallons for the tank volume. I managed to build a sump of around 15 gallons...but really hard to get a good footprint under the tank.

I love the look of the tank as a piece of furniture; it sits really nicely in the corner of the room. As an aquarium I wouldn’t recommend it. It’s very deep, so really hard to work in...can barely get my arm all the way to the bottom. Apart from that it’s really awkward to maintain, especially in the corners. Hard getting good lighting coverage as well.

Any tank I got in the future would be a conventional rectangular tank...for what it’s worth.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 84 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back