Talbot Damsel in 6 gallon?

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can a Talbot Damsel live alone in a 6 gallon? I have an N.Wennerae mantis shrimp tank. They are typically fine with fish, so I wanted to get a single fish in the tank to lively it up a bit. Think this could work? Any other suggestions?

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be sad to see him in a tank this small.. I'd go for at least 20 gallon for a nice damsel like this! You will also need to provide plenty of areas for him to hide.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen 5-10 gallon Mantis Shrimp tanks with a single damsel which is why I thought a smaller species would be a suitable choice. Looking it up online many sources are saying a Springer or Talbot would reach a max size around 2" which is the same size as many of the other Nano fish I would be considering. From other testimonies I have heard Damsels pick a 10"x10" territory and tend to stay around that. I don't want to cause any harm though which is why I am taking some time to pick out the best possible fish.

Would a smaller Cardinal work? Any suggestion on a blenny that can go in a 6 gallon?

I worry about a goby just because they are bottom dwellers and that is where the Mantis likes to be at all the time. From others experience though I imagine it would be fine, but still don't really want to risk it.

Last edited:

SaltyCabbage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen 5-10 gallon Mantis Shrimp tanks with a single damsel which is why I thought a smaller species would be a suitable choice. Looking it up online many sources are saying a Springer or Talbot would reach a max size around 2" which is the same size as many of the other Nano fish I would be considering. From other testimonies I have heard Damsels pick a 10"x10" territory and tend to stay around that. I don't want to cause any harm though which is why I am taking some time to pick out the best possible fish.

Would a smaller Cardinal work? Any suggestion on a blenny that can go in a 6 gallon?

I worry about a goby just because they are bottom dwellers and that is where the Mantis likes to be at all the time. From others experience though I imagine it would be fine, but still don't really want to risk it.
I’ve been keeping a tiger goby with my N. wennerae for a few months and have had no issues between the two, I just ordered three more and will be keeping a group with the mantis.

Now my gramma on the other hand hates the mantis and they fight anytime they see each other.

I wouldn’t keep any fish the size of the mantis in the same tank personally as I feel the gramma will stress it to death if I don’t remove it soon.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been keeping a tiger goby with my N. wennerae for a few months and have had no issues between the two, I just ordered three more and will be keeping a group with the mantis.

Now my gramma on the other hand hates the mantis and they fight anytime they see each other.

I wouldn’t keep any fish the size of the mantis in the same tank personally as I feel the gramma will stress it to death if I don’t remove it soon.
The mantis never goes for the tiger goby? I think someone in another group told me tiger gobies are around N.Wenneraes in the wild with no problem. Sounds like a good option! I wonder if any goby would work than.. I really like the Green Banded ones. They look just like tigers also, and I think found in similar areas. I have one in my other 6 gallon bowl with no problems with the tank size.

A Gramma going after a N.Wennerae - that is something I have never heard of before! I have seen some viscous R.Grammas though. Mind me asking what does that look like? Gramma puffing up? Or actually attacking the mantis? Something to keep in mind although I feel like that would never happen with a Cardinal, peaceful blenny, or smaller damsel.

SaltyCabbage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mantis never goes for the tiger goby? I think someone in another group told me tiger gobies are around N.Wenneraes in the wild with no problem. Sounds like a good option! I wonder if any goby would work than.. I really like the Green Banded ones. They look just like tigers also, and I think found in similar areas. I have one in my other 6 gallon bowl with no problems with the tank size.

A Gramma going after a N.Wennerae - that is something I have never heard of before! I have seen some viscous R.Grammas though. Mind me asking what does that look like? Gramma puffing up? Or actually attacking the mantis? Something to keep in mind although I feel like that would never happen with a Cardinal, peaceful blenny, or smaller damsel.

Nope! TBS let me know they keep mantis and gobies in the same systems and haven’t had issues so I gave it a shot. I would assume most small gobies/blennies native to the area have a good chance of staying clear of the mantis.

Oddly enough they use the same burrows and the mantis doesn’t seem to care it exists, I haven’t found anything about symbiotic relationships but I wouldn’t be surprised if there some mutualism between them.

And it’s pretty crazy lol, the gramma will swim over to taunt and flare it’s fins anytime it sees the mantis. here’s a video of the tank and at 3:47 and 12:35 you can see the mantis strike.

I’ll be removing the gramma later this week and we’ll see about tossing a cardinal in.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope! TBS let me know they keep mantis and gobies in the same systems and haven’t had issues so I gave it a shot. I would assume most small gobies/blennies native to the area have a good chance of staying clear of the mantis.

Oddly enough they use the same burrows and the mantis doesn’t seem to care it exists, I haven’t found anything about symbiotic relationships but I wouldn’t be surprised if there some mutualism between them.

And it’s pretty crazy lol, the gramma will swim over to taunt and flare it’s fins anytime it sees the mantis. here’s a video of the tank and at 3:47 and 12:35 you can see the mantis strike.

I’ll be removing the gramma later this week and we’ll see about tossing a cardinal in.

Awesome video - thank you for sharing! You even see the Mantis give it a punch! Crazy they are fighting like that lol.. You have a small one there. I think my N.Wennerae is close to 3".

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
These can get a little larger than typical damsel and best in a 15g minimum

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These can get a little larger than typical damsel and best in a 15g minimum
From all the websites I am looking at and from numerous others advice they are about one of the smallest Damsels you can get. I wanted to add Talbot and Springer to the initial question, but can not edit at this point. I feel like any 2" fish would be totally fine in a 6 gallon. Still I would rather pick a more suitable fish if one exists. I am more worried about picking the right solo fish than finding one aesthetically pleasing.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
From all the websites I am looking at and from numerous others advice they are about one of the smallest Damsels you can get. I wanted to add Talbot and Springer to the initial question, but can not edit at this point. I feel like any 2" fish would be totally fine in a 6 gallon. Still I would rather pick a more suitable fish if one exists. I am more worried about picking the right solo fish than finding one aesthetically pleasing.
Firefish goby
neon goby
catalina goby

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Isnt a catalina goby a cold-water species? I am trying to avoid any fish getting 3" or larger. Neon goby seems like a good option.
72-74 deg ideal but as much as 77 deg

Xanthurum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 Talbots currently in my 160 gallon tank. Had them for about 4 years in this tank and they are each barely over an inch long. I will say they do swim all around the entire tank but they all have their “home”. I love them so much that I’ll be adding more to my new 600 gallon.

Bottom line is that size wise they are a great choice but they are very active. Do what you wish with this information.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
72-74 deg ideal but as much as 77 deg
I keep the tank around 75 so probably not an option.

I have 3 Talbots currently in my 160 gallon tank. Had them for about 4 years in this tank and they are each barely over an inch long. I will say they do swim all around the entire tank but they all have their “home”. I love them so much that I’ll be adding more to my new 600 gallon.

Bottom line is that size wise they are a great choice but they are very active. Do what you wish with this information.
Honestly I think every fish deserves the ocean, but unfortunately it is just not feasible in the hobby. I know from experience a Possum Wrasse, or quite a few other Nano fish would swim all over a multi hundred gallon tank, but they still do fine in smaller systems as well.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 35.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 38.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back