Talh's New Office Reef

talh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Intro
Hi Everyone. It has been awhile since I posted here, so hello again! I am starting a little project to downsize my current tank, which you can see here: link. I want to downsize to an all-in-one that will sit on my desk here:
20221227_192308.jpg

Backstory (Skip if you do not care)
The reason for downsizing is I want more room in my office for a small corner bookcase and reading chair. Admittedly, I almost decided to get out of the hobby, but I love my clown fish pair that I had since the beginning (almost 8 years ago!). I do not want to re-home them because I do not know anyone I trust enough to keep them healthy & happy and no way am I sending them to LFS. I also do enjoy having a reef tank; it certainly makes for an easy conversation starter on WebEx & Teams calls.

My plan is to have a mixed coral reef with the only fish being the three I have today (1 blue chromis, 2 designer clownfish). I may pick up another shrimp of some kind and will also be transferring all the snails and hermit crabs from my current tank.

Current Hardware List
Waterbox Cube 25 Peninsula
- the dimensions of this thing PERFECTLY match up with the length of my side desk and width of the file cabinet underneath, so it will be tough to go with another all in one option, but open to suggestions.
AI Hydra 26 HD+ - Coming from current tank. I expect this will provide enough light for whatever coral I want, but let me know if it does limit me. I do want to get into some acropora. ;)
Fluval E300? - Coming from current tank. I don't think this heater will fit, but we will see. If not, I have a few other heaters laying around or it will be a quick amazon purchase.
MP10QD? - Coming from current tank. We will see how much it hurts aesthetically.
Nero 3 - This is what I will probably end of getting for flow since I can put it on back of tank, unlike the MP10.
Protein Skimmer - I do not run a protein skimmer anymore because I could never get the Eshopps hang on back that I have dialed in. Since the waterbox will have an area for a submersible protein skimmer, I would like to give it another go. However, I have no idea what the best nano skimmers are. Looking for suggestions here!

Livestock List
Coming from current tank:
Clownfish Pair
Blue Chromis
Hermit Crabs
Various Snails
Red Bubble Tip Anemone
- I bought one and it has split so many times. I have 5-6 of them in my current tank (can't tell if one is split or not). I plan to move just one over and sell the others.
Utter Chaos Zoa colony - Very small colony. I never put it on a rock in my main tank, it just grew on the frag rack.
Devil's Hand Coral - Never knew what this coral was called until today. I used to think it was toadstool, then someone told me it was finger leather coral, but I have several large pieces. It grows like a weed, so undecided if I will move a piece of it over or just sell it all.

Filtration
Still researching what I want to do; open to suggestions here. Just use what comes with Waterbox? Add protein skimmer? Switch out filter sock for floss?
Live/Dry Rock - I have a bunch of live rock in brute trash cans in the basement. Also bunch of dry rock in basement. I am going to hobble an aquascape together over the next week.
Live Sand - Looking for recommendations here.

Any of you nano tank owners have tips for me?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huge mistake to downsize but I'm not gonna win that arguement. :)
Tunze makes a nice small skimmer, I for get what they call it but I know it has a great reputation.
Can't wait to see the pictures. Thanks for supporting your clowns!

OP
OP
T

talh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huge mistake to downsize but I'm not gonna win that arguement. :)
Tunze makes a nice small skimmer, I for get what they call it but I know it has a great reputation.
Can't wait to see the pictures. Thanks for supporting your clowns!
I reread my build thread from few years ago and I said when I bought a house I was going BIG. Well, I ended up buying a duplex (live in one side, rent other). Only about 1k sq ft each side. Not practical yet to do my big tank dream build, but maybe in my next home... I know all the other reasons to not downsize and you are right. You win the argument, but for now I think this is the right call for me.

OP
OP
T

talh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More stuff today. Another shot of tank and the other things.

Slim cardboard box is a stainless steel scraper. My current scraper is no good. The brown square is a piece of acrylic I am using for a little something something on the aquascape.

More to come.

The other cat also approves.

Calico from last post is Agatha "Aggie" and she's a perfectly behaved angel.
Gray kitten is Alfred "Alfie" and is devil incarnate. We will see how he behaves with the tank being on my desk.... little worried.

Attachments

• 20230103_204655.jpg
    20230103_204655.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 20
OP
OP
T

talh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it has been some time since I posted on this.

I took my sweet time doing the aquascape. Due to a lot of procrastination and a little bit of life/work, I did not end up getting the tank wet until February of this year, haha. I did a "floating" aquascape. I used the same method used by "The Nano Reef Tank of Dave from Switzerland"

Steps to create the base for the aquascape:
1. Mark out holes on acrylic to allow water & fish to flow through scape.
2. Cut holes, mark a bend line.
3. Put on some oven mitts and held the acrylic over stovetop; I tried to keep the bend line over the flame and moved it back and forth slowly to try to heat the entire bend line evenly. (I watched this video and used the same method as her)
4. Bent acrylic using a few planks of wood to keep the bend straight.
5. Used a knife and sandpaper to rough up back of acrylic to help silicon bind to it better.
6. I then centered it to the back of the tank and used a liberal amount of silicon on it (I don't recall which specific silicon I used -- I did check to make sure it was safe for aquariums).
1715657098211.png
1715657130547.png
1715657335221.png
1715657765686.png

1715657985174.png

OP
OP
T

talh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I then did a mixture of building with dry rock outside of the tank and directly in the tank. I also broke apart the aquascape multiple times because I wasn't impressed. Doing aquascape is my least favorite part of the hobby and what I think is my weakest skill. I ended up with this structure. I still think it may be too many rocks, but I do like the aesthetic.

IMG_0281.jpg

IMG_0282.jpg

IMG_0283.jpg

I then used crushed up rock/sand and super glue to try to cover up the epoxy. I could not ever get that to stick enough but it will be hidden eventually, so do not care too much.

OP
OP
T

talh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I filled tank with live sand that was way past its shelf life (I think I bought the sand about 15 months before using. Got it wet and then also used Brightwell aquatics bacteria starter kit to get the cycle going. It definitely did take much longer than it said on the kit, but this is because I used live sand I am sure. It says right on the package they advise not to do that. :grinning-face-with-sweat: I followed their instructions otherwise and watched it do its thing with periodic testing. Beyond it taking longer than advertised, it still eventually cycled.

After the cycle, I transferred my clownfish pair and blue chromis into their new home. I will upload a video walkaround of the tank tomorrow morning.

My old tank is still up and has some corals in it. Debating whether I will transfer any of that into new tank or just start completely over with the corals. Might take what I have into LFS.

OP
OP
T

talh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh -- I also am culturing phytoplankton and copepods. I have done this once before, but let what I had crash. I restarted both and just harvested first batch tonight. Got three 16oz bottles full of phytoplankton and, impossible to count, but a healthy amount of copepods added to tank.

IMG_0413.jpg

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I then did a mixture of building with dry rock outside of the tank and directly in the tank. I also broke apart the aquascape multiple times because I wasn't impressed. Doing aquascape is my least favorite part of the hobby and what I think is my weakest skill. I ended up with this structure. I still think it may be too many rocks, but I do like the aesthetic.

IMG_0281.jpg

IMG_0282.jpg

IMG_0283.jpg

I then used crushed up rock/sand and super glue to try to cover up the epoxy. I could not ever get that to stick enough but it will be hidden eventually, so do not care too much.
I love the idea of doing floating aquascapes!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 136 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 108 34.4%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.6%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back