Talk me out of gtting this scorp!

Alenya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't need another tank! But this Papuan scorp is the cutest thing ever. Please help me talk myself out of it!

To make this happen I would need to ship him to me by air, I would need to setup a slave tank off my main tank at least until a more permanent tank was setup, I'd need to buy more sand and rock, and leave my 10 gallon doing nothing for now, and I'd lose all my productive office time just staring at him. And ofc it would be my first scorp though I have other preddys. Help me out here guys!

275982077_115839241041054_6728043668432901428_n.jpg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st off that pic is fake, while they can present a blend on redd, oranges, and yellow; they can also be greyish in color. Because of stress and a lacking diet, they will likely come in greyish and the degree to which they color up will be variable. They will need to be fed a live diet and need to end up in something like a 40B, they will grow to 7" to 9"". They are a sedentary creature so most of the time you will be staring at a rock. Make sure the supplier is not keeping them in a system with copper or antibiotics, or its a death sentence. Also check what, and if they are even being fed, if they tell you they are being fed dead food, its likely a lie. If being fed marine fish, unless you are able to treat for internal parasites, I would pass.

OP
OP
Alenya

Alenya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pass until you're 100% ready.
It took me a couple years to get around to my last fish, and normally I would agree but not too many primo specimens come through. Someone else is also keen and I've asked for more photos. I can definitely plumb something and the shop is good about holding fish etc. They get in some nice specimens like this ric

Attachments

• 275856165_116097254348586_8869113877740610388_n.jpg
    275856165_116097254348586_8869113877740610388_n.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 17
OP
OP
Alenya

Alenya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st off that pic is fake, while they can present a blend on redd, oranges, and yellow; they can also be greyish in color. Because of stress and a lacking diet, they will likely come in greyish and the degree to which they color up will be variable. They will need to be fed a live diet and need to end up in something like a 40B, they will grow to 7" to 9"". They are a sedentary creature so most of the time you will be staring at a rock. Make sure the supplier is not keeping them in a system with copper or antibiotics, or its a death sentence. Also check what, and if they are even being fed, if they tell you they are being fed dead food, its likely a lie. If being fed marine fish, unless you are able to treat for internal parasites, I would pass.
I have some extra photos coming, generally they are pretty good at representing the specimens they bring through. They regularly hold predators, venemous fish and oddballs. The tank thing is the biggest issue for me. I can very easily add a slave tank to my main but theres a cost involved of course. This guy is currently 12-15cm so well grown and would need a decent size tank right off the mark.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some extra photos coming, generally they are pretty good at representing the specimens they bring through. They regularly hold predators, venemous fish and oddballs. The tank thing is the biggest issue for me. I can very easily add a slave tank to my main but theres a cost involved of course. This guy is currently 12-15cm so well grown and would need a decent size tank right off the mark.

I would love to see a photo of the actual fish. A 10g really isn't suitable, although they are sedentary they do need to cruise, not only for their well being but maybe also for digestion. Many think that because these guys don't swim and generally don't move much, they can be kept in really small tanks. Ones kept in really small tanks don;t live long.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to see more pics before I suggest what is best for you. ;)
I really just want more pics...

OP
OP
Alenya

Alenya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to see a photo of the actual fish. A 10g really isn't suitable, although they are sedentary they do need to cruise, not only for their well being but maybe also for digestion. Many think that because these guys don't swim and generally don't move much, they can be kept in really small tanks. Ones kept in really small tanks don;t live long.

There's no way I would put it in a 10g, I'd be adding another 55g next to my main tank

OP
OP
Alenya

Alenya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unpacked the tank at home 'just in case' :D
Spoke to the shop; still waiting on a price and to see if it's available, as well as more piccies.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back