Tanakas Pygmy wrasse

Woodchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to this hobby I have done a lot of research but I want some more info I am very interested in the Tanakas Pygmy Wrasse does anyone have personal experience with this fish thank you

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had much experience, they do look really nice though. Super small fish, can fit in a 10g. *apparently, according to Liveaquaria.*

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had one for a few months.

He was definitely my favourite fish, very shy at first and barely saw him, but became one of the boldest fish.

unfortunately i lost him when i went out of country for a month and had my friend take care of my tank. not sure if he jumped or starved or anything, just disappeared. my friend didn't know anything about fish nor to watch out for the wrasse specifically so he didn't even know it was in there.

OP
OP
Woodchip

Woodchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had one for a few months.

He was definitely my favourite fish, very shy at first and barely saw him, but became one of the boldest fish.

unfortunately i lost him when i went out of country for a month and had my friend take care of my tank. not sure if he jumped or starved or anything, just disappeared. my friend didn't know anything about fish nor to watch out for the wrasse specifically so he didn't even know it was in there.
So sorry that sounds horrible.

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike will have something similar Pink Streaked Wrasse. It will be already QT.

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea i was super sad for a long time.

Especially in Canada where its already hard enough finding rare fish/corals.

had a chance at a couple of yellow line pygmies but they were 150$ each so i passed...
i know that feeling smh. Mono, Ontario, i have to drive at least 1 hour to find stores that sell SW and corals. Big Als if you in Ontario and need fish/corals. *just not the brampton store* Liveaquaria doesnt ship to Canada i dont think, which is a shame due to their large selection.

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i know that feeling smh. Mono, Ontario, i have to drive at least 1 hour to find stores that sell SW and corals. Big Als if you in Ontario and need fish/corals. *just not the brampton store* Liveaquaria doesnt ship to Canada i dont think, which is a shame due to their large selection.
yea i wouldn’t go with live aquaria mine didn’t do well when i first got it then they ghosted me glad mine made it though

Bleakborn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one and have had him for a couple years now and he is great!

He is a little shy but does a good job of keeping my 40 gallon free of pests, he seems to eat flat worms, montipora eating nudibranchs and other pests.

I think he is a guy because he likes to flash his fins at his refection once in a while, which is adorable since he is so small.

One thing I like is that they can change color from a dark red to a yellow orange to blend in. They are also fairly hardy; he managed to survive full on velvet.

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one and have had him for a couple years now and he is great!

He is a little shy but does a good job of keeping my 40 gallon free of pests, he seems to eat flat worms, montipora eating nudibranchs and other pests.

I think he is a guy because he likes to flash his fins at his refection once in a while, which is adorable since he is so small.

One thing I like is that they can change color from a dark red to a yellow orange to blend in. They are also fairly hardy; he managed to survive full on velvet.
Wait they can change color? On command? Like chameleons??

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got one now, used to be 2 but one died when my clam shut on its head.
they are great little wrasses. Not aggressive but always on the hunt

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait they can change color? On command? Like chameleons??
A lot of fish can change color based on mood/stress.
my rabbitfish for example goes from a white base with orange spots when calm to an almost camo pattern of dark greys and white and blacks and no spots when stressed. He can switch colors back and forth within seconds.

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of fish can change color based on mood/stress.
my rabbitfish for example goes from a white base with orange spots when calm to an almost camo pattern of dark greys and white and blacks and no spots when stressed. He can switch colors back and forth within seconds.
Ohh ok kapisch ;)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back