Tanaka's Pygmy Wrasse

GoReefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just received this little guy from live aquaria. He has been acclimated and added to my 13.5g fluval evo. I have a lot of rock work for him to hide in. There are lots of pods and crustations for him to eat in the tank. I feed frozen mysis and brine shrimp.

As soon as I added him he went hiding into the rockwork.

My question is how soon should I start trying to feed him frozen foods? I can get my hands on live food as well if needed.

Also does anyone else have this wrasse? Would love to hear how they are doing in your tanks.

Thanks again.

16076410342187705193183119526158.jpg

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are very secretive wrasses and will hide underneath rock overhangs or in caves most of the time.
anytime I come to the tank mine hides under his rock.

if you just added him, you could try feeding a small amount, but he may not eat due to stress from shipping. Tomorrow morning he should be more “at home” in the tank and hungry so more inclined to eat.

OP
OP
G

GoReefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are very secretive wrasses and will hide underneath rock overhangs or in caves most of the time.
anytime I come to the tank mine hides under his rock.

if you just added him, you could try feeding a small amount, but he may not eat due to stress from shipping. Tomorrow morning he should be more “at home” in the tank and hungry so more inclined to eat.
Great, hopefully he will start eating tomorrow morning. This is the best picture I could get of him.

Attachments

• 20201210_152234.jpg
    20201210_152234.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 110

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I recently lost my Tanaka to old age and he was an absolute pleasure to have. They are secretive at first, but they will come out more and more as time goes by. Mine would swim out in the open with my flashers sometimes, but would stick to the rock work for the most part. I would see him take food from time to time (I primarily feed LRS), but he was always hunting and scanning the rock. If you watch them close enough, you'll see a color change (on the front half) while they actively feed, it's pretty subtle, but cool non the less. It's like a green blush, kinda cool. I thought about getting a yellow banded, but Tanaka's hold a special place for me, so I'm on the hunt. Enjoy your new fish, one of my favs.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed your tank as you usually would, he may not appear to be eating your offerings until he runs out of pods. As long as they are healthy he will come around and take many of the prepared foods. If you get concerned some live brines shrimp and live black worms can also be offered. These guys do come in with internal parasites pretty often so make sure he is eating and no stringy poo. They are shy but you'll see his fat belly if he is eating pods.

Woodchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my first saltwater tank and haven’t added water yet so I’ve got a while before I get fish but how do you get pods? It’s probably a stupid question but I’m interested in these guys so would appreciate help

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i feed mine when i broadcast feed if he’s really new i’d step away from your tank for a bit while it eats so you don’t startle him that’s what worked for me when i first got mine

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just got my first saltwater tank and haven’t added water yet so I’ve got a while before I get fish but how do you get pods? It’s probably a stupid question but I’m interested in these guys so would appreciate help
There are several online vendors who sell live pods. In the old days of reefing we would just let the Ocean rock do its magic. If you have anyone local selling or giving away pest free chaeto, that's another way of getting pods. Eventually they find their way in your tank through various means.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you. I had him for about five years and he didn't grow much, so he was an adult already. I'm going to try and source a juvenile if I can? I might get a yellow banded and Tanaka together if I can?

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little video update will post another update soon with the mysis feeding :)

Had a Dejavu moment. I was watching some YT video yesterday and saw your tank on it and now saw this video.

Nice Tanaka btw I been thinking of adding one with my Pink Steaked Wrasse.

OP
OP
G

GoReefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a Dejavu moment. I was watching some YT video yesterday and saw your tank on it and now saw this video.

Nice Tanaka btw I been thinking of adding one with my Pink Steaked Wrasse.
Thanks for watching. Trying to keep a diary of sorts on YouTube. I wonder how they would do together! Please update if you put them together!

TriggersAmuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@GoReefin - Sweet tank you have going there! Regards the Green Bubbletips, I have heard others say (and believe I can corroborate) that they are not quite as robust as the rose 'nems. I have lost a few over the past year and a half in setting up my 'nem specific tank.

OP
OP
G

GoReefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@GoReefin - Sweet tank you have going there! Regards the Green Bubbletips, I have heard others say (and believe I can corroborate) that they are not quite as robust as the rose 'nems. I have lost a few over the past year and a half in setting up my 'nem specific tank.
Yeah they just didn't seem to want to settle down. Sadly lost 2 (one was a clone) of them recently. Probably not going to try again for a long while 6 months or so.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back