Tang Aggression - Understanding and Combating

RazorD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, @4FordFamily ! I love the Gem and black but a little more than I want to spend right now. Is the only reason the Sailfin is not advised is size? If so, maybe I can go with a sailfin for a year and then find it a new home when I can go with a black or a gem. Just trying to avoid the large yellow possibly destroying the small purple (for now).

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, @4FordFamily ! I love the Gem and black but a little more than I want to spend right now. Is the only reason the Sailfin is not advised is size? If so, maybe I can go with a sailfin for a year and then find it a new home when I can go with a black or a gem. Just trying to avoid the large yellow possibly destroying the small purple (for now).
There’s a big risk adding a small zebrasoma to a resident larger zebrasoma. Sailfin can grow to 4-5 inches in one year from 2. That’s your call. Size-wise and price-wise I’d advise a Scopas :)

ddrueckh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Orangeshoulder, Yellow, and Tomini tang in a 230. I am thinking about adding a Blue Tang. Any thoughts on how the others would react to it? Would it be okay or should I not add any more tangs? Thanks.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Orangeshoulder, Yellow, and Tomini tang in a 230. I am thinking about adding a Blue Tang. Any thoughts on how the others would react to it? Would it be okay or should I not add any more tangs? Thanks.
If depends on the aggression of the individual tangs, the size of the new tang (larger probably better, or tiny where it can hide), and the total stock level of the tank. The fewer total fish the more dangerous it is.

Hard to tell, adding two tangs may work out better. A social acclimation box is another suggestion.

The more I think about it a little bitty one will be able to hide and stay off the radar. That may work best.

ddrueckh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If depends on the aggression of the individual tangs, the size of the new tang (larger probably better, or tiny where it can hide), and the total stock level of the tank. The fewer total fish the more dangerous it is.

Hard to tell, adding two tangs may work out better. A social acclimation box is another suggestion.

The more I think about it a little bitty one will be able to hide and stay off the radar. That may work best.

Thank you for the information. If I do it, I will try a small one.

GTAReefTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I shouldn't, but I'm really really getting the achilles tang itch. I want one....
My tank -> 450 gallon, 8 feet wide, 36 inches deep, 30 high.
Tangs
Powder blue (yeah, I know)
Purple tang
Yellow tang
Sailfin tang
Dussumieri
Clown tang
Hippo tang
Kole yellow eye tang
Naso tang
Non-tangs
6 chromis
6 anthias
2 regular clowns
1 cleaner wrasse
When I added the PBT, the existing powder brown went NUTS. He was so crazy he jumped into the net with the PBT to go at him when I tried to save the PBT. Banished the powder brown to the sump and eventually gave him away (too risky to reintroduce).

The Purple tang seemed to be the boss, but with so many 'pest' fishes in everyone's face, I'm not sure who is boss anymore. I added the Sailfin and Clown at the same time AFTER the PBT, PBT went more for the Sailfin but not aggressively, just posturing. The purple/yellow ignored the Sailfin which was weird considering similar families.
I added the dussumieri last 2 months ago, was very small and hid for about 24 hours in the rocks and is now out and about with the others, occasional posturing.

So yeah, that's confession...I want one.

Last edited:
OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I shouldn't, but I'm really really getting the achilles tang itch. I want one....
My tank -> 450 gallon, 8 feet wide, 36 inches deep, 30 high.
Tangs
Powder blue (yeah, I know)
Purple tang
Yellow tang
Sailfin tang
Dussumieri
Clown tang
Hippo tang
Kole yellow eye tang
Naso tang
Non-tangs
6 chromis
6 anthias
2 regular clowns
1 cleaner wrasse
When I added the PBT, the existing powder brown went NUTS. He was so crazy he jumped into the net with the PBT to go at him when I tried to save the PBT. Banished the powder brown to the sump and eventually gave him away (too risky to reintroduce).

The Purple tang seemed to be the boss, but with so many 'pest' fishes in everyone's face, I'm not sure who is boss anymore. I added the Sailfin and Clown at the same time AFTER the PBT, PBT went more for the Sailfin but not aggressively, just posturing. The purple/yellow ignored the Sailfin which was weird considering similar families.
I added the dussumieri last 2 months ago, was very small and hid for about 24 hours in the rocks and is now out and about with the others, occasional posturing.

So yeah, that's confession...I want one.
Sounds risky, based on the dynamics. I’d invest in an acclimation box. I’d also add more than one tang at a time.

Be prepared to catch and “sump” the PBT and Clown Tang.

Last edited:

keithw283

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is probably the most informative thing I have read on multiple tangs on the internet. Upgrading to a 180 (picking it up today) and I am already trying to figure out what tangs to add. My last tank was a 90 and I had a kole tang in there. My 180 is 6 feet x 2 feet x 2 feet. I really want an Achilles but will probably hold off on that. I've read a lot of conflicting things on Naso tangs. I've seen the minimum tank size range anywhere from 125 to 240. How do you think one would do in my size tank? I don't plan on upgrading to a bigger one any time soon so I need my combination of tangs to do well in a 180 forever. That's not to say that I will never upgrade but as of now there are no plans to. The combinations I'm liking are (Naso, Blue and purple) (Naso, Purple and Yellow) (Blue, Purple and Yellow) (Yellow, Blue and Kole) ( Purple, Yellow and Kole) (Blue, Purple and Kole)(Purple, Yellow and Tomini). Will any of the combos not work for me?

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is probably the most informative thing I have read on multiple tangs on the internet. Upgrading to a 180 (picking it up today) and I am already trying to figure out what tangs to add. My last tank was a 90 and I had a kole tang in there. My 180 is 6 feet x 2 feet x 2 feet. I really want an Achilles but will probably hold off on that. I've read a lot of conflicting things on Naso tangs. I've seen the minimum tank size range anywhere from 125 to 240. How do you think one would do in my size tank? I don't plan on upgrading to a bigger one any time soon so I need my combination of tangs to do well in a 180 forever. That's not to say that I will never upgrade but as of now there are no plans to. The combinations I'm liking are (Naso, Blue and purple) (Naso, Purple and Yellow) (Blue, Purple and Yellow) (Yellow, Blue and Kole) ( Purple, Yellow and Kole) (Blue, Purple and Kole)(Purple, Yellow and Tomini). Will any of the combos not work for me?
The combos with two zebrasoma tangs (yellow and purple) may not work well, it’s always a gamble. Sometimes they get along “swimmingly” however (pun intended).

Kole tangs and purple tangs sometimes don’t get along I suspect because they’re similar enough in coloration. The Kole is also one of the most aggressive bristletooth tangs, and the purple probably the most aggressive zebrasoma. Of course individual temperaments may vary.

I would honestly recommend a yellow, Kole, and blue based on your options above. Or yellow, tomini, blue. Or purple, tomini, blue.

I would avoid a Naso as they will outgrow a 180. IMO some can even outgrow some 8 foot tanks if they live their full life, but I would say 8 foot should be the minimum long term tank size for a naso genus tang.

Thanks for the kind words, I am glad you found this helpful! :)

keithw283

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The combos with two zebrasoma tangs (yellow and purple) may not work well, it’s always a gamble. Sometimes they get along “swimmingly” however (pun intended).

Kole tangs and purple tangs sometimes don’t get along I suspect because they’re similar enough in coloration. The Kole is also one of the most aggressive bristletooth tangs, and the purple probably the most aggressive zebrasoma. Of course individual temperaments may vary.

I would honestly recommend a yellow, Kole, and blue based on your options above. Or yellow, tomini, blue. Or purple, tomini, blue.

I would avoid a Naso as they will outgrow a 180. IMO some can even outgrow some 8 foot tanks if they live their full life, but I would say 8 foot should be the minimum long term tank size for a naso genus tang.

Thanks for the kind words, I am glad you found this helpful! :)

Yeah from what I'm seeing, yellow and purple together seem to be such a crap shoot. With them being in the same genus I would think that I shouldn't put them together but I have seen a ton of success stories on those two together. Plus, I feel like they would look so good together. Maybe if added at the same time and at a young age. I normally play it safe so I probably won't end up doing purple and yellow. I have a while to figure this out. I don't even physically have the tank for another couple hours so I have at least a month. Probably two. Plus, I plan on putting all the tangs in last and I have no idea how I want to stock this thing yet. All I know is I have a tank big enough for a couple tangs now and I'm taking advantage of it haha.

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like some more grazers in my 5 foot red sea reefer 450. Currently have a 3.5"-ish Kole tang thats been in there for about 6 months and a flame angel (which will be removed soon when I switch over to SPS). I want to add a One Spot Foxface, but would also LOVE to add a yellow tang. Would these three together be okay if the Kole is already in there? Out of all of my fish, he/she shows no aggression towards other fish, but I don't have any other tangs. The Angel and the Kole were in a 40g breeder QT together and the Kole did a dominance dance at first, but after 30 minutes they were fine and now often swim together.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah from what I'm seeing, yellow and purple together seem to be such a crap shoot. With them being in the same genus I would think that I shouldn't put them together but I have seen a ton of success stories on those two together. Plus, I feel like they would look so good together. Maybe if added at the same time and at a young age. I normally play it safe so I probably won't end up doing purple and yellow. I have a while to figure this out. I don't even physically have the tank for another couple hours so I have at least a month. Probably two. Plus, I plan on putting all the tangs in last and I have no idea how I want to stock this thing yet. All I know is I have a tank big enough for a couple tangs now and I'm taking advantage of it haha.
I have kept yellow and purple together many times but almost always keep other zebrasoma tangs at the same time. Right now I have a purple, gem, yellow in the same tank, for example. I had a Sailfin in that tank until I moved it as well.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like some more grazers in my 5 foot red sea reefer 450. Currently have a 3.5"-ish Kole tang thats been in there for about 6 months and a flame angel (which will be removed soon when I switch over to SPS). I want to add a One Spot Foxface, but would also LOVE to add a yellow tang. Would these three together be okay if the Kole is already in there? Out of all of my fish, he/she shows no aggression towards other fish, but I don't have any other tangs. The Angel and the Kole were in a 40g breeder QT together and the Kole did a dominance dance at first, but after 30 minutes they were fine and now often swim together.
I think that you could add a yellow potentially, perhaps the foxface but IMO that's a lot of yellow, I like variety of color. Keep in mind a resident Kole may well be quite aggressive. I think you're pushing the limits of stocking for a RS Reefer 450 but it could be done. if you do a fox, I'd recommend a magnificent (maggie).

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that you could add a yellow potentially, perhaps the foxface but IMO that's a lot of yellow, I like variety of color. Keep in mind a resident Kole may well be quite aggressive. I think you're pushing the limits of stocking for a RS Reefer 450 but it could be done. if you do a fox, I'd recommend a magnificent (maggie).

If you think it's risky, I will skip the yellow tang. Definitely want to add the Foxface for their reputation of being algae monsters. What other interesting Acropora safe fish would you recommend? I have the usual clowns, goby, yellow tail, and a haliochoerus wrasse, will be swapping the flame angel for a flame hawk with my brother at some point.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you think it's risky, I will skip the yellow tang. Definitely want to add the Foxface for their reputation of being algae monsters. What other interesting Acropora safe fish would you recommend? I have the usual clowns, goby, yellow tail, and a haliochoerus wrasse, will be swapping the flame angel for a flame hawk with my brother at some point.
Some people love anthias, you could get a few fairy wrasse as well. I like bella gobies as well.

GTAReefTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds risky, based on the dynamics. I’d invest in an acclimation box. I’d also add more than one tang at a time.

Be prepared to catch and “sump” the PBT and Clown Tang.
I agree, it's risky! I've been looking at some acclimatization boxes online so looks like I'm on the right track to get the Achilles in after QT... I probably will not get this done until summer, taking the time to plan properly. Hopefully no need for a Catch and sump!

This thread has been great help by the way!

keithw283

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept yellow and purple together many times but almost always keep other zebrasoma tangs at the same time. Right now I have a purple, gem, yellow in the same tank, for example. I had a Sailfin in that tank until I moved it as well.

I probably try that combo. What do you think of a one spot foxface, purple and blue tang? I hear the foxface are pretty notorious for nipping at corals

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably try that combo. What do you think of a one spot foxface, purple and blue tang? I hear the foxface are pretty notorious for nipping at corals
I have never had a foxface nip at coral but it's possible. It's also possible that a blue tang or purple tang do the same, it's been documented. I would say the odds of any of them nipping coral are low, unless there is algae on the coral. I think more than half of the reported cases of tang/foxface coral nipping are actually the fish nipping at algae on the coral. But I know some that say they've actually EATEN the coral so that theory is out for those cases!

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, it's risky! I've been looking at some acclimatization boxes online so looks like I'm on the right track to get the Achilles in after QT... I probably will not get this done until summer, taking the time to plan properly. Hopefully no need for a Catch and sump!

This thread has been great help by the way!
Glad to help, good luck! I can say I am almost positive you'll need to catch and remove any resident acanthurus tangs, but especially any Powder Blue, Powder Brown, Goldrim, Sohal, or Clown tangs (if I recall you have a PBT and a Clown). A Powder Blue is the "terrorist" of the reef. They're absolutely terrors, immensely aggressive, seemingly for no reason, and sometimes they never let up, even after being sumped. IF they start a grudge with an individual fish, they can and often do remember them, even months later, when re-added.

I would argue that it's BEST to remove the PBT before it can "imprint hatred" on a foe such as an achilles. I've seen PBT do this many times, relentless even after months separated, and only towards one or two fish. Other aggressive tangs seem to let up, forget, or otherwise change behavior.

RazorD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@4FordFamily
Addition strategy question - I have a whitetail bristletooth, purple and Desjardin sailfin In QT now (divided QT in half separating the 2 Zebrasoma but they see each other. Whitetail and sailfin together- purple alone). Prior to adding the new ones, I was planning on moving the yellow to sump for a week or two to disrupt his territory a bit.

My questions -
1.) should I add the whitetail before the Zebrasoma trio? Maybe when yellow is in sump?Or all at the same time?
2.) is a week or two enough time to remove the yellow? I’ve had him for years but only recently upgraded tanks about a month ago so much of the territory is still somewhat new to him.

I know it’s always a gamble, just making sure I’m doing my best to try to make this work.

- other tank mates are a foxface and a hippo

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back